Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Nopales and pennies?

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > bigwheel > wrote:
: >
: > : Todd;1848910 Wrote:
: >
: > : Not sure about the physics on the carbs. Have heard folks say beans have
: > : a bunch. Everybody from Texas was raised on em and eat them at least
: > : once a day and sometimes twice on Sunday. They claim if a person eats
: > : them along with corn it makes a combo complex protein which neither
: > : offers alone..and which is only slightly inferior to animal sources. Try
: > : eating them with cornbread..pepper sauce and raw onions. That prob knock
: > : them mean old carbs right in the head.
: >
: > rice an beans also make a compete protein, but they are just not indicated
: > for diabetics as the carb content is very high, too high to be used as a
: > major part of a meal. As has been mentioned, a few sprinkled on a salad
: > or in a soup are Ok, but as a full portion beans are a problem for
: > diabetics. For non-diabetics like you, they are a good food, just not for
: > us diabetics here.

: You really can't paint with a broad brush. I eat not one portion of beans
: but sometimes three. But I rarely eat beans and rice. I did have some last
: night but it was Spanish rice that I made by adding lots of ground beef and
: vegetables. I did not have a full portion leftover so I added some red
: beans to it. But to eat just plain beans and rice? Not likely.
MOST diabetic have difficulty with beans. I use small amounts of black
soybeans which are so fibrous that the actual carb content is very low,
but it can easily cause gastric distress in a big way! You , with your
intoerances and , as you , yurself, termed it, picky eating tendencies are
much more limited in what you can or desire to eat and your diabetes also
seems to respond quite differently than that of most of the type 2s here.

i woud hate to see a ston of bean recipes presented here as beign "good
for diabetics." there are a few, like you, who both have few other foods
you like or can eat and who really love beans. Most of us have to severly
limit our bean intake or we run the risk of high bgs, which we try to
avoid, as do you, even if you don't have a handle on it for whatever
reason, certainly not for want of trying.

Wendy