Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alice Faber Alice Faber is offline

Default Nopales and pennies?

In article
Peppermint Patootie > wrote:

> In article >,
> bigwheel > wrote:
>
> > Have heard folks say beans have
> > a bunch. Everybody from Texas was raised on em and eat them at least
> > once a day and sometimes twice on Sunday. They claim if a person eats
> > them along with corn it makes a combo complex protein which neither
> > offers alone..and which is only slightly inferior to animal sources.

> I'm afraid that whole theory was disproved. You don't need to eat them
> together. Just include them in your diet. Except that corn is very
> high carb. I can't eat even one ear of corn without spiking to kingdom
> come.

When corn is in season (like now), I'll occasionally buy *one* ear at
the farmstand. When I cook it, I eat part of an ear, generally somewhere
between 1/3 and 1/2. The rest I cut off the ear and save, so I can put a
spoonful in salad as a garnish. The black bean and corn salad I posted
about earlier in this thread yielded 5 servings for a small ear of corn.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet