Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Nopales and pennies?

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> bigwheel > wrote:
>>
>> > Have heard folks say beans have
>> > a bunch. Everybody from Texas was raised on em and eat them at least
>> > once a day and sometimes twice on Sunday. They claim if a person eats
>> > them along with corn it makes a combo complex protein which neither
>> > offers alone..and which is only slightly inferior to animal sources.

>> I'm afraid that whole theory was disproved. You don't need to eat them
>> together. Just include them in your diet. Except that corn is very
>> high carb. I can't eat even one ear of corn without spiking to kingdom
>> come.
>>

> When corn is in season (like now), I'll occasionally buy *one* ear at
> the farmstand. When I cook it, I eat part of an ear, generally somewhere
> between 1/3 and 1/2. The rest I cut off the ear and save, so I can put a
> spoonful in salad as a garnish. The black bean and corn salad I posted
> about earlier in this thread yielded 5 servings for a small ear of corn.

Corn is not a problem for me but I don't like it so much. Exception being
corn chip and popcorn. If I do eat it, it is usually a small amount in a
salad, casserole or soup. I don't mind a few ears of baby corn or a few
kernels in something. But to just eat corn? Not so much. And especially
on the cob. Hate it like that because it sticks in my teeth. I do like raw
corn though, provided it is very fresh. Angela likes it too. Will eat it
right from the cob. The odd thing is, none of the rest of my family will
eat it raw. Although it tastes wonderful to us, they say that it tastes
raw. Uh, duh. It is! Angela and my mom also like raw potatoes. Me? Not
so much.