FoodBanter.com

-   -   Nopales and pennies? (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/424861-nopales-pennies.html)

Todd 13-07-2013 05:12 AM

Nopales and pennies?

Hi All,

I have been reading up on how to prepare Nopolas
(Prickly Pear). What I have come up with comes
out sour and slimy.

I found this remark over on
http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Prickly-Pear-Cactus

Boiling them with a copper coin (an old Mexican
"veinte") is a common remedy to thin the sap and
make it more palatable to unaccustomed diners.

A "veinte" in this context is a copper Mexican coin.

Toss in a penny? Have you guys ever heard of such a
thing?

Any counter indications for NIDDM's (non insulin
T2's)?

Any opinions? Thinning the sap, or slimy stuff,
sounds like what I am after.

From my research, what I am finding is that I should
boil my nopalitos (cut up Nopales) in heavily salted
water, drain and repeat. Then add them to what I want.

Many thanks,
-T

bigwheel 13-07-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd (Post 1848610)
Hi All,

I have been reading up on how to prepare Nopolas
(Prickly Pear). What I have come up with comes
out sour and slimy.

I found this remark over on
How to Eat Prickly Pear Cactus: 9 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Boiling them with a copper coin (an old Mexican
"veinte") is a common remedy to thin the sap and
make it more palatable to unaccustomed diners.

A "veinte" in this context is a copper Mexican coin.

Toss in a penny? Have you guys ever heard of such a
thing?

Any counter indications for NIDDM's (non insulin
T2's)?

Any opinions? Thinning the sap, or slimy stuff,
sounds like what I am after.

From my research, what I am finding is that I should
boil my nopalitos (cut up Nopales) in heavily salted
water, drain and repeat. Then add them to what I want.

Many thanks,
-T

Never heard about that but they swear Road Runner soup will cure boils..so who knows? I have seen the guest workers picking the stuff on the side of the road a bunch of times. They claim its snotty like okry. Person could maybe deslime it in a dry skillet as is the custom of cajuns. Now the red apples aint too bad for a sweet treat..but can give a lip full of little thorns if a person aint careful. Thats why the donkeys who eat prickly pears keeps their lips peeled back since they are full of thorns. They call it looking like a Jackass eating cactus. Can also be used to clown around with people who get oversized false teeth. George Washington for example.

Billy[_8_] 14-07-2013 07:10 AM

Nopales and pennies?

In article , Todd
wrote:

Hi All,

I have been reading up on how to prepare Nopolas
(Prickly Pear). What I have come up with comes
out sour and slimy.

I found this remark over on
http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Prickly-Pear-Cactus

Boiling them with a copper coin (an old Mexican
"veinte") is a common remedy to thin the sap and
make it more palatable to unaccustomed diners.

A "veinte" in this context is a copper Mexican coin.

Toss in a penny? Have you guys ever heard of such a
thing?

Any counter indications for NIDDM's (non insulin
T2's)?

Any opinions? Thinning the sap, or slimy stuff,
sounds like what I am after.

From my research, what I am finding is that I should
boil my nopalitos (cut up Nopales) in heavily salted
water, drain and repeat. Then add them to what I want.

Many thanks,
-T

I was advised to use nopales when cooking beans. They thicken the beans.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Todd 14-07-2013 07:41 AM

Nopales and pennies?

On 07/13/2013 11:10 PM, Billy wrote:
In article , Todd
wrote:

Hi All,

I have been reading up on how to prepare Nopolas
(Prickly Pear). What I have come up with comes
out sour and slimy.

I found this remark over on
http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Prickly-Pear-Cactus

Boiling them with a copper coin (an old Mexican
"veinte") is a common remedy to thin the sap and
make it more palatable to unaccustomed diners.

A "veinte" in this context is a copper Mexican coin.

Toss in a penny? Have you guys ever heard of such a
thing?

Any counter indications for NIDDM's (non insulin
T2's)?

Any opinions? Thinning the sap, or slimy stuff,
sounds like what I am after.

From my research, what I am finding is that I should
boil my nopalitos (cut up Nopales) in heavily salted
water, drain and repeat. Then add them to what I want.

Many thanks,
-T

I was advised to use nopales when cooking beans. They thicken the beans.

Hi Billy,

I was told to crack some eggs over them and scramble them up.

Beans are way to high carb for me. Rats!

Are you T1 or T2?

Thank you for the tip!

-T

Billy[_8_] 14-07-2013 06:56 PM

Nopales and pennies?

wrote:

Hi All,

I have been reading up on how to prepare Nopolas
(Prickly Pear). What I have come up with comes
out sour and slimy.

I found this remark over on
http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Prickly-Pear-Cactus

Boiling them with a copper coin (an old Mexican
"veinte") is a common remedy to thin the sap and
make it more palatable to unaccustomed diners.

A "veinte" in this context is a copper Mexican coin.

Toss in a penny? Have you guys ever heard of such a
thing?

Any counter indications for NIDDM's (non insulin
T2's)?

Any opinions? Thinning the sap, or slimy stuff,
sounds like what I am after.

From my research, what I am finding is that I should
boil my nopalitos (cut up Nopales) in heavily salted
water, drain and repeat. Then add them to what I want.

Many thanks,
-T

I was advised to use nopales when cooking beans. They thicken the beans.

Hi Billy,

I was told to crack some eggs over them and scramble them up.

Beans are way to high carb for me. Rats!

Are you T1 or T2?

Thank you for the tip!

-T

T2
--
Palestinian Child Detained
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg

Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Janet Wilder[_1_] 14-07-2013 07:17 PM

Nopales and pennies?

wrote:

Hi All,

I have been reading up on how to prepare Nopolas
(Prickly Pear). What I have come up with comes
out sour and slimy.

I found this remark over on
http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Prickly-Pear-Cactus

Boiling them with a copper coin (an old Mexican
"veinte") is a common remedy to thin the sap and
make it more palatable to unaccustomed diners.

A "veinte" in this context is a copper Mexican coin.

Toss in a penny? Have you guys ever heard of such a
thing?

Any counter indications for NIDDM's (non insulin
T2's)?

Any opinions? Thinning the sap, or slimy stuff,
sounds like what I am after.

From my research, what I am finding is that I should
boil my nopalitos (cut up Nopales) in heavily salted
water, drain and repeat. Then add them to what I want.

Many thanks,
-T

I was advised to use nopales when cooking beans. They thicken the beans.

Hi Billy,

I was told to crack some eggs over them and scramble them up.

Beans are way to high carb for me. Rats!

Are you T1 or T2?

Thank you for the tip!

-T

That's how the locals eat them here. Mixed in with scrambled eggs,

As for beans, they are high in fiber and many endos recommend them as
there seems to be an enzyme in beans that is beneficial to diabetics.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

bigwheel 14-07-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy[_8_] (Post 1848647)
In article , Todd lid
wrote:

Hi All,

I have been reading up on how to prepare Nopolas
(Prickly Pear). What I have come up with comes
out sour and slimy.

I found this remark over on
How to Eat Prickly Pear Cactus: 9 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Boiling them with a copper coin (an old Mexican
"veinte") is a common remedy to thin the sap and
make it more palatable to unaccustomed diners.

A "veinte" in this context is a copper Mexican coin.

Toss in a penny? Have you guys ever heard of such a
thing?

Any counter indications for NIDDM's (non insulin
T2's)?

Any opinions? Thinning the sap, or slimy stuff,
sounds like what I am after.

From my research, what I am finding is that I should
boil my nopalitos (cut up Nopales) in heavily salted
water, drain and repeat. Then add them to what I want.

Many thanks,
-T

I was advised to use nopales when cooking beans. They thicken the beans.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
Rachel Corrie Memorial Website

Welcome to the New America.
Naomi Klein - The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism - YouTube

I would advise forgetting that nonsense. Best way to thicken up thin juice is to remove a cup or two of cooked beans and mash em up and return to the pot. Canned beans work good for this too..and give a little layer of flavor which is hard to duplicate..but to be au naturale and not cheat..just mash up some beans and throw em back in there. Now real Mexicans will sometimes throw a hunk of light bread in there to thicken them up. Anybody caught putting snotty cactus in beans if liable to get lynched. Like the person say..they eat em for breakfast with scrambled eggs. Muy bien.

Todd 15-07-2013 04:47 AM

Nopales and pennies?

On 07/14/2013 02:32 PM, bigwheel wrote:
Anybody caught putting snotty cactus in beans if liable
to get lynched. Like the person say..they eat em for breakfast with
scrambled eggs. Muy bien.

Hi Guys,

Spoke to a coin dealer about a 20 cent Mexican coin.
He said he would not use one for cooking as they
were pretty GROSS by the time he got them. He went on to
tell me that U.S. pennies on or before 1981 were copper.

So, I found a 1980 U.S. penny, washed it up and then
scrubbed it with lemon juice to pretty it up. Then I
cooked it for 10 minutes with my Nopales ("snotty
cactus", still snickering) -- in my pressure cooker
on high (autoclaved the stinker) with a lot of salt.

And, guess what? NO SNOT! The darned thing worked!
You learn something new every day. Not sour either.
Taste like green beans. Tried them with scrambled
eggs -- the jury is still out.

Thank you all for the tips, especially the one about
U.S. pennies not being made out of copper any more.
You guys are a blessing.

-T

I remember my previous attempts, trying to spoon some
out of a bowl to my plate and having a long string
follow my spoon. EEEWWWWW!!!

Todd 15-07-2013 04:58 AM

Nopales and pennies?

On 07/14/2013 02:32 PM, bigwheel wrote:
Best way to thicken up thin
juice is to remove a cup or two of cooked beans and mash em up and
return to the pot. Canned beans work good for this too..and give a
little layer of flavor which is hard to duplicate..but to be au naturale
and not cheat..just mash up some beans and throw em back in there. Now
real Mexicans will sometimes throw a hunk of light bread in there to
thicken them up

That is actually pretty cleaver mashing them up and
returning them to the pot.

How do you guys get away with all the carbs in
beans?

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4313/2

1 cup of pinto beans is 37 grams. I would blow
my carb count for a meal at 1/3 cup.

-T

Alice Faber 15-07-2013 03:27 PM

Nopales and pennies?

In article , Todd
wrote:

On 07/14/2013 02:32 PM, bigwheel wrote:
Best way to thicken up thin
juice is to remove a cup or two of cooked beans and mash em up and
return to the pot. Canned beans work good for this too..and give a
little layer of flavor which is hard to duplicate..but to be au naturale
and not cheat..just mash up some beans and throw em back in there. Now
real Mexicans will sometimes throw a hunk of light bread in there to
thicken them up

That is actually pretty cleaver mashing them up and
returning them to the pot.

How do you guys get away with all the carbs in
beans?

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4313/2

1 cup of pinto beans is 37 grams. I would blow
my carb count for a meal at 1/3 cup.

Eat less than 1/3 cup.

Seriously. I like beans, a lot. I put about 1/2 cup of beans in a big
pot of soup, different kinds of beans for different soup. If I have
extras (I just had to buy a can of black beans for a recipe, because I
didn't have any dried on hand), I'll put a spoonful on salad. I just
don't ever have anything where beans are the dominant ingredient.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

W. Baker 15-07-2013 03:29 PM

Nopales and pennies?

bigwheel wrote:

: 'Billy[_8_ Wrote:
: ;1848647']In article , Todd
: lid
: wrote:
: -
: Hi All,
:
[...]
: From my research, what I am finding is that I should
: boil my nopalitos (cut up Nopales) in heavily salted
: water, drain and repeat. Then add them to what I want.
:
: Many thanks,
: -T-
:
: I was advised to use nopales when cooking beans. They thicken the
: beans.
: --
: Remember Rachel Corrie
: 'Rachel Corrie Memorial Website' (http://www.rachelcorrie.org/)
:
: YouTube' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg)

: I would advise forgetting that nonsense. Best way to thicken up thin
: juice is to remove a cup or two of cooked beans and mash em up and
: return to the pot. Canned beans work good for this too..and give a
: little layer of flavor which is hard to duplicate..but to be au naturale
: and not cheat..just mash up some beans and throw em back in there. Now
: real Mexicans will sometimes throw a hunk of light bread in there to
: thicken them up. Anybody caught putting snotty cactus in beans if liable
: to get lynched. Like the person say..they eat em for breakfast with
: scrambled eggs. Muy bien.
: bigwheel

Remember, this is a diabetic food list where we aren't looking for ways to
add extra carbs and starch to our foods,

Wendy

Billy[_8_] 15-07-2013 07:01 PM

Nopales and pennies?

In article ,
bigwheel wrote:

'Billy[_8_ Wrote:
;1848647']In article , Todd
lid
wrote:
-
Hi All,

I have been reading up on how to prepare Nopolas
(Prickly Pear). What I have come up with comes
out sour and slimy.

I found this remark over on
'How to Eat Prickly Pear Cactus: 9 Steps (with Pictures) -
wikiHow' (
http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Prickly-Pear-Cactus)

Boiling them with a copper coin (an old Mexican
"veinte") is a common remedy to thin the sap and
make it more palatable to unaccustomed diners.

A "veinte" in this context is a copper Mexican coin.

Toss in a penny? Have you guys ever heard of such a
thing?

Any counter indications for NIDDM's (non insulin
T2's)?

Any opinions? Thinning the sap, or slimy stuff,
sounds like what I am after.

From my research, what I am finding is that I should
[...]

Thanks for the advice. Personally, I'm just trying to insert more
variety into my diet. I've read that hunter/gatherers eat upwards of 75
different plants. At present, I probably only eat about 25. I'm just
trying to feed the animal what it needs.

Todd 15-07-2013 08:07 PM

Nopales and pennies?

On 07/15/2013 07:27 AM, Alice Faber wrote:
In article , Todd
wrote:

On 07/14/2013 02:32 PM, bigwheel wrote:
Best way to thicken up thin
juice is to remove a cup or two of cooked beans and mash em up and
return to the pot. Canned beans work good for this too..and give a
little layer of flavor which is hard to duplicate..but to be au naturale
and not cheat..just mash up some beans and throw em back in there. Now
real Mexicans will sometimes throw a hunk of light bread in there to
thicken them up

That is actually pretty cleaver mashing them up and
returning them to the pot.

How do you guys get away with all the carbs in
beans?

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4313/2

1 cup of pinto beans is 37 grams. I would blow
my carb count for a meal at 1/3 cup.

Eat less than 1/3 cup.

Hi Alice,

I could lay all 15 of them out on a plate and eat
them really, really, really s-l-o-w. Maybe a Kleenex to
wipe up my tears, so I could actually see them.
Just teasing! I think I am funny. I only cry when I
hurt myself. (Not an admission that I cry.)

Seriously. I like beans, a lot. I put about 1/2 cup of beans in a big
pot of soup, different kinds of beans for different soup. If I have
extras (I just had to buy a can of black beans for a recipe, because I
didn't have any dried on hand), I'll put a spoonful on salad. I just
don't ever have anything where beans are the dominant ingredient.

Now that makes sense. Use them as a seasoning is quantities so
small as to not throw off the carb count. Like the way I use turnips
in my broccoli cheese soup.

Thank you!

-T

bigwheel 15-07-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd (Post 1848910)
On 07/14/2013 02:32 PM, bigwheel wrote:
Best way to thicken up thin
juice is to remove a cup or two of cooked beans and mash em up and
return to the pot. Canned beans work good for this too..and give a
little layer of flavor which is hard to duplicate..but to be au naturale
and not cheat..just mash up some beans and throw em back in there. Now
real Mexicans will sometimes throw a hunk of light bread in there to
thicken them up

That is actually pretty cleaver mashing them up and
returning them to the pot.

How do you guys get away with all the carbs in
beans?

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Beans, pinto, mature seeds, canned

1 cup of pinto beans is 37 grams. I would blow
my carb count for a meal at 1/3 cup.

-T

Not sure about the physics on the carbs. Have heard folks say beans have a bunch. Everybody from Texas was raised on em and eat them at least once a day and sometimes twice on Sunday. They claim if a person eats them along with corn it makes a combo complex protein which neither offers alone..and which is only slightly inferior to animal sources. Try eating them with cornbread..pepper sauce and raw onions. That prob knock them mean old carbs right in the head.

bigwheel 15-07-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W. Baker (Post 1848987)
bigwheel wrote:

: 'Billy[_8_ Wrote:
: ;1848647']In article , Todd
:
lid
: wrote:
: -
: Hi All,
:
[...]
: 'Rachel Corrie Memorial Website' (Rachel Corrie Memorial Website)
:
: Welcome to the New America.
: 'Naomi Klein - The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism -
: YouTube' (Naomi Klein - The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism - YouTube)

: I would advise forgetting that nonsense. Best way to thicken up thin
: juice is to remove a cup or two of cooked beans and mash em up and
: return to the pot. Canned beans work good for this too..and give a
: little layer of flavor which is hard to duplicate..but to be au naturale
: and not cheat..just mash up some beans and throw em back in there. Now
: real Mexicans will sometimes throw a hunk of light bread in there to
: thicken them up. Anybody caught putting snotty cactus in beans if liable
: to get lynched. Like the person say..they eat em for breakfast with
: scrambled eggs. Muy bien.
: bigwheel

Remember, this is a diabetic food list where we aren't looking for ways to
add extra carbs and starch to our foods,

Wendy

Well not sure how trying to help a person thicken up a pot of watery beans could be labeled as being guilty of helping diabetics to add extra carbs and starch to their foods. That really takes a leap of the imagination. Do you work for the government by any chance? Thanks.