Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alice Faber Alice Faber is offline

Default Nopales and pennies?

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 07/14/2013 02:32 PM, bigwheel wrote:
> > Best way to thicken up thin
> > juice is to remove a cup or two of cooked beans and mash em up and
> > return to the pot. Canned beans work good for this too..and give a
> > little layer of flavor which is hard to duplicate..but to be au naturale
> > and not cheat..just mash up some beans and throw em back in there. Now
> > real Mexicans will sometimes throw a hunk of light bread in there to
> > thicken them up

> That is actually pretty cleaver mashing them up and
> returning them to the pot.
>
> How do you guys get away with all the carbs in
> beans?
>
> http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4313/2
>
> 1 cup of pinto beans is 37 grams. I would blow
> my carb count for a meal at 1/3 cup.

Eat less than 1/3 cup.

Seriously. I like beans, a lot. I put about 1/2 cup of beans in a big
pot of soup, different kinds of beans for different soup. If I have
extras (I just had to buy a can of black beans for a recipe, because I
didn't have any dried on hand), I'll put a spoonful on salad. I just
don't ever have anything where beans are the dominant ingredient.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet