Old 26-08-2007, 09:02 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Nopales

Prickly pear fruit are on special next week three for a buck. Anybody
have tips and/or recipes they want to share?

Vicki

Old 26-08-2007, 02:36 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

percy wrote:
Prickly pear fruit are on special next week three for a buck. Anybody
have tips and/or recipes they want to share?

Vicki

Prickly pear fruit are "tunas" Nopales are the peeled and sliced leaves.
IIRC, the nopales are low in carbs, but the fruit is sweet. I can't
find a carb count for prickly pears on USDA, but I'd treat one like an
apple.

JMHO.

Nopales are great cooked in your scrambled eggs.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Old 26-08-2007, 04:01 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
percy wrote:
Prickly pear fruit are on special next week three for a buck. Anybody
have tips and/or recipes they want to share?

Vicki

Prickly pear fruit are "tunas" Nopales are the peeled and sliced leaves.
IIRC, the nopales are low in carbs, but the fruit is sweet. I can't find a
carb count for prickly pears on USDA, but I'd treat one like an apple.

JMHO.

Nopales are great cooked in your scrambled eggs.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Try he 1 cup is 14 carbs and 5.4 fiber
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Old 27-08-2007, 12:26 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

percy wrote:
Prickly pear fruit are on special next week three for a buck. Anybody
have tips and/or recipes they want to share?

Vicki

Prickly pear fruit are "tunas" Nopales are the peeled and sliced leaves.
IIRC, the nopales are low in carbs, but the fruit is sweet. I can't find a
carb count for prickly pears on USDA, but I'd treat one like an apple.

JMHO.

Nopales are great cooked in your scrambled eggs.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Try he 1 cup is 14 carbs and 5.4 fiber
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Even better than an apple!
Thanks.

Nopales and pennies? Todd Diabetic 34 18-07-2013 10:24 PM
Chile verde with nopales ~ Mexican Cooking 1 23-06-2008 04:18 PM
Nopales - cactus paddles Shelora Mexican Cooking 1 15-04-2004 10:53 AM