Old 11-08-2012, 03:56 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Favorite green type salads?

I ask this as I am forcing down a bowl of "American" salad. Now when I was
a kid this was pretty much all we ever got. Except for the years when I had
a garden and grew leaf lettuce. For those of you who don't know what this
is, it is iceberg lettuce, shredded carrots and a small amount of shredded
purple cabbage. Once in a while there will be a few red radish slices in it
as well.

I remember the first time I had butter lettuce at the Hunt Club. That was a
restaurant I couldn't normally afford to dine at. But my friend was
graduating from college and rather than throw a party, his parents too me
and another friend out to dinner with them to this place. I was very
uncomfortable during the meal, partly because I had to dress up (and I hate
to do that) and partly because people kept hovering around us. I also
remember having a pepper crusted steak which I really didn't like, being a
vegetarian and all but at that point in time there were no vegetarian dishes
on the menu. I think my friend had duck. They did have a guy who came
around with a big pepper mill. I did like that.

I like pretty much all of the salad greens except for when they are really
bitter. Sometimes I will get a blend that has too much bitter stuff in it.
I don't normally buy bagged salad for fear of food poisoning but this bag
came from Costco and it was only $2.17. We've been eating salad all week
from it. Tonight I put some green onions and some green pepper on it as
well as some black olives. I intended to put walnuts but I forgot. The
green pepper was an accident. The produce drawer was stuffed full but I
insisted to Angela that I could fit the remaining three green onions in
there. Well, I did but I smashed the green pepper. Which is why I ate it
tonight.

I also like tomatoes and celery on my salad. And I often put kidney, pinto
or garbanzo beans on there. Cooked white beans are good too although I
don't really like black beans on a salad too much. Unless it is really a
Mexican type salad with like...corn and salsa. Then it's okay. I also like
that baby corn but I only ever want two ears. So I never buy the stuff
because nobody else will eat it and it always goes bad before I can finish
it.

So what are your favorite salad greens? Costco sells some baby lettuces
that I love. But you have to buy so many in a package that we can never
finish them. Actually Angela won't eat them. But I can get her to eat
Romaine.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:14 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

I like Romaine, iceberg, Boston, Baby Spinach Greens, I like tomatoes red
onions, celery, shredded carrots, English seedless cucumbers. If we are
having Italian I just like a bit of Romaine and Iceberg mixes with red
onions tomatoes, olives and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, add a bit of home
made Italian Dressing. Sometimes we buy the dressing at Olive Garden.
I like Chef's salads for lunch, Iceberg lettuce , baby spinach leaves,
tomatoes onion, some rotisserie chicken cut up, a bit of ham chopped, maybe
a crumbled hard boiled egg or cheese crumbles. I like buttermilk ranch with
that or thousand island (I can get the one carb dressing at my grocery
store.)
I do make a bbq chicken salad and add black beans to it, my husband also
gets corn. The salad I make is like the Whiskey BBQ Chicken Salad made at
Red Robin...found a recipe.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:57 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

So what are your favorite salad greens? Costco sells some baby lettuces
that I love. But you have to buy so many in a package that we can never
finish them. Actually Angela won't eat them. But I can get her to eat
Romaine.

I've been fixing a version of Ina Garten's recipe lately. For some reason
I'm craving celery, and just add what I want to it, but this is her recipe.
I make as little or as much as I want. Sometimes adding a bit of lettuce or
a tomato since my tomatoes are ripening in this awful heat. :-)

1/2 cup good olive oil

2 tsp grated lemon zest

1/4 cup plus 1 tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons)

2 tbs minced shallots

1 tsp celery seed

1/2 tsp celery salt

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

5 cups thinly sliced celery stalks, tender leaves included, sliced on an
angle with a sharp knife or mandoline (12 stalks, or 1 head of celery)

4-ounce chunk aged Parmesan-Reggiano cheese (I cut extra slices to share in
separate dish)

2/3 cup toasted walnuts or almonds, coarsely chopped

Whole flat-leaf parsley leaves

Directions:

At least an hour before you serve, whisk together the olive oil, lemon zest,
1/4 cup of lemon juice, the shallots, celery seed, celery salt, 2 tsp salt,
and 1 tsp pepper.

Place the thinly sliced celery in a mixing bowl and toss it with the
remaining 1 tbs of lemon juice and 1/2 tsp of salt.
Add enough dressing to moisten well.

Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour to allow the celery to crisp and
the flavors to develop.

When ready to serve, arrange the celery on a platter, shave the Parmesan
onto the celery with a vegetable peeler, then sprinkle with chopped walnuts,
parsley leaves, salt and pepper and serve immediately.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks! I would have to make this without the parmesan for me and without
the nuts for Angela but I think it is something we would both eat. Not sure
when I can make it though since I have no shallots and not sure I could get
those at Target or Costco.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:30 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

These days I like to drink me 'salad' cause I use me Vitamix soo much!! It
sure is great!! Just throw in what ever veggies you like & round it off
with fave fruits & you are good ta go!!

Nana

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

So what are your favorite salad greens? Costco sells some baby lettuces
that I love. But you have to buy so many in a package that we can never
finish them. Actually Angela won't eat them. But I can get her to eat
Romaine.

I've been fixing a version of Ina Garten's recipe lately. For some reason
I'm craving celery, and just add what I want to it, but this is her
recipe. I make as little or as much as I want. Sometimes adding a bit of
lettuce or a tomato since my tomatoes are ripening in this awful heat.
:-)

Old 11-08-2012, 08:34 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nana.Wilson" wrote in message
These days I like to drink me 'salad' cause I use me Vitamix soo much!!
It sure is great!! Just throw in what ever veggies you like & round it
off with fave fruits & you are good ta go!!

Nana

Sounds like you're really getting a lot of use out of it. I'm not really big
on drinking stuff, I like the chew factor, but glad you're enjoying it.

Cheri

Old 12-08-2012, 12:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
: ...
:
: Nana

: Sounds like you're really getting a lot of use out of it. I'm not really big
: on drinking stuff, I like the chew factor, but glad you're enjoying it.

: Cheri

Cheri, I would agree with you on eating salad and letting it fill you up.
the only liquidy type I do is gazpacho, which I do in the food processor,
not the blender so it has quite a good chew factor.

I am not fussy or particular about green salads, generally buying whatever
looks nice in the greens departmen . Recently I got a boston lettuce at a
good price so that ws the base of my ssalads for almost a week.

what I do find difficult is making salad for one and keeping the greens
fresh for a few days as, if I want a variety of vegetables in the salad,
lettuces, baby greens, tomatoes, radishes, etc, one serving uses so few of
each that they tend to go rotten before I an finish them.

Wendy
Old 12-08-2012, 01:24 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Cheri wrote:
[...]

Yes, I find that to be a problem too, since I'm usually the only one eating
it.

Cheri

Old 12-08-2012, 01:48 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Cheri" wrote:

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Cheri wrote:
[...]

I've gotten better at not overbuying, but I do try to store greens in a
way that minimizes waste and spoilage. I have a Rubbermaid crisper bowl
that I keep washed lettuce in. It has a little grill in the bottom so
that the lettuce isn't sitting in any water that hasn't spun off after I
wash the lettuce. Other items get wrapped in a damp paper towel and
stored in a closed plastic bag. I put cut radishes in the lettuce
crisper, along with cucumbers that I've cut into. Mushrooms tend to be a
big problem in the summer, as I sometimes get tired of mushrooms before
I finish a box; in the winter, spare mushrooms go into soup.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

Old 12-08-2012, 05:02 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nana.Wilson" wrote in message
These days I like to drink me 'salad' cause I use me Vitamix soo much!!
It sure is great!! Just throw in what ever veggies you like & round it
off with fave fruits & you are good ta go!!

That wouldn't work for me. It's a texture I couldn't swallow. But thanks!

Old 12-08-2012, 05:04 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Cheri wrote:
[...]

I tried Gazpacho once and hated it. I like all of the ingredients. Just
didn't like it once they were all together.

As for salads for one, that is something my Family Living teacher told us.
You can not make a good salad for one. For the reasons you cited.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:05 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" wrote in message
"Cheri" wrote:

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Cheri wrote:
[...]

Cucumbers are the bad thing here. Costco sells tiny ones but you have to
buy a ton! If we could get one or two tiny ones it would be perfect. I
hate touching slimy cukes.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:10 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

As for salads for one, that is something my Family Living teacher told us.
You can not make a good salad for one. For the reasons you cited.

Funny thing here. I do it every day. Sometimes twice a day. And I think
my salads are pretty damn good.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:43 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
:
[...]

simple solution is to buy the tiny (or any cukes) at another store that
sells them either by fewer pieces or by the pound. Each cuke may clst
more, but if you only eat two or three and thow out the slimy rest, you
are not sving anyting.

I find those tiny Persian cukes to be great to have on hand for a snack
when I get the munchies. Has angela tried that?

Wendy