Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Favorite green type salads?

I ask this as I am forcing down a bowl of "American" salad. Now when I was
a kid this was pretty much all we ever got. Except for the years when I had
a garden and grew leaf lettuce. For those of you who don't know what this
is, it is iceberg lettuce, shredded carrots and a small amount of shredded
purple cabbage. Once in a while there will be a few red radish slices in it
as well.

I remember the first time I had butter lettuce at the Hunt Club. That was a
restaurant I couldn't normally afford to dine at. But my friend was
graduating from college and rather than throw a party, his parents too me
and another friend out to dinner with them to this place. I was very
uncomfortable during the meal, partly because I had to dress up (and I hate
to do that) and partly because people kept hovering around us. I also
remember having a pepper crusted steak which I really didn't like, being a
vegetarian and all but at that point in time there were no vegetarian dishes
on the menu. I think my friend had duck. They did have a guy who came
around with a big pepper mill. I did like that.

I like pretty much all of the salad greens except for when they are really
bitter. Sometimes I will get a blend that has too much bitter stuff in it.
I don't normally buy bagged salad for fear of food poisoning but this bag
came from Costco and it was only $2.17. We've been eating salad all week
from it. Tonight I put some green onions and some green pepper on it as
well as some black olives. I intended to put walnuts but I forgot. The
green pepper was an accident. The produce drawer was stuffed full but I
insisted to Angela that I could fit the remaining three green onions in
there. Well, I did but I smashed the green pepper. Which is why I ate it
tonight.

I also like tomatoes and celery on my salad. And I often put kidney, pinto
or garbanzo beans on there. Cooked white beans are good too although I
don't really like black beans on a salad too much. Unless it is really a
Mexican type salad with like...corn and salsa. Then it's okay. I also like
that baby corn but I only ever want two ears. So I never buy the stuff
because nobody else will eat it and it always goes bad before I can finish
it.

So what are your favorite salad greens? Costco sells some baby lettuces
that I love. But you have to buy so many in a package that we can never
finish them. Actually Angela won't eat them. But I can get her to eat
Romaine.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I ask this as I am forcing down a bowl of "American" salad. Now when I was
>a kid this was pretty much all we ever got. Except for the years when I
>had a garden and grew leaf lettuce. For those of you who don't know what
>this is, it is iceberg lettuce, shredded carrots and a small amount of
>shredded purple cabbage. Once in a while there will be a few red radish
>slices in it as well.
>
> I remember the first time I had butter lettuce at the Hunt Club. That was
> a restaurant I couldn't normally afford to dine at. But my friend was
> graduating from college and rather than throw a party, his parents too me
> and another friend out to dinner with them to this place. I was very
> uncomfortable during the meal, partly because I had to dress up (and I
> hate to do that) and partly because people kept hovering around us. I
> also remember having a pepper crusted steak which I really didn't like,
> being a vegetarian and all but at that point in time there were no
> vegetarian dishes on the menu. I think my friend had duck. They did have
> a guy who came around with a big pepper mill. I did like that.
>
> I like pretty much all of the salad greens except for when they are really
> bitter. Sometimes I will get a blend that has too much bitter stuff in
> it. I don't normally buy bagged salad for fear of food poisoning but this
> bag came from Costco and it was only $2.17. We've been eating salad all
> week from it. Tonight I put some green onions and some green pepper on it
> as well as some black olives. I intended to put walnuts but I forgot.
> The green pepper was an accident. The produce drawer was stuffed full but
> I insisted to Angela that I could fit the remaining three green onions in
> there. Well, I did but I smashed the green pepper. Which is why I ate it
> tonight.
>
> I also like tomatoes and celery on my salad. And I often put kidney,
> pinto or garbanzo beans on there. Cooked white beans are good too
> although I don't really like black beans on a salad too much. Unless it
> is really a Mexican type salad with like...corn and salsa. Then it's
> okay. I also like that baby corn but I only ever want two ears. So I
> never buy the stuff because nobody else will eat it and it always goes bad
> before I can finish it.
>
> So what are your favorite salad greens? Costco sells some baby lettuces
> that I love. But you have to buy so many in a package that we can never
> finish them. Actually Angela won't eat them. But I can get her to eat
> Romaine.

I like Romaine, iceberg, Boston, Baby Spinach Greens, I like tomatoes red
onions, celery, shredded carrots, English seedless cucumbers. If we are
having Italian I just like a bit of Romaine and Iceberg mixes with red
onions tomatoes, olives and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, add a bit of home
made Italian Dressing. Sometimes we buy the dressing at Olive Garden.
I like Chef's salads for lunch, Iceberg lettuce , baby spinach leaves,
tomatoes onion, some rotisserie chicken cut up, a bit of ham chopped, maybe
a crumbled hard boiled egg or cheese crumbles. I like buttermilk ranch with
that or thousand island (I can get the one carb dressing at my grocery
store.)
I do make a bbq chicken salad and add black beans to it, my husband also
gets corn. The salad I make is like the Whiskey BBQ Chicken Salad made at
Red Robin...found a recipe.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> [...]
>> Romaine.
>>

> I like Romaine, iceberg, Boston, Baby Spinach Greens, I like tomatoes red
> onions, celery, shredded carrots, English seedless cucumbers. If we are
> having Italian I just like a bit of Romaine and Iceberg mixes with red
> onions tomatoes, olives and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, add a bit of
> home made Italian Dressing. Sometimes we buy the dressing at Olive Garden.
> I like Chef's salads for lunch, Iceberg lettuce , baby spinach leaves,
> tomatoes onion, some rotisserie chicken cut up, a bit of ham chopped,
> maybe a crumbled hard boiled egg or cheese crumbles. I like buttermilk
> ranch with that or thousand island (I can get the one carb dressing at my
> grocery store.)
> I do make a bbq chicken salad and add black beans to it, my husband also
> gets corn. The salad I make is like the Whiskey BBQ Chicken Salad made at

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> So what are your favorite salad greens? Costco sells some baby lettuces
> that I love. But you have to buy so many in a package that we can never
> finish them. Actually Angela won't eat them. But I can get her to eat
> Romaine.

I've been fixing a version of Ina Garten's recipe lately. For some reason
I'm craving celery, and just add what I want to it, but this is her recipe.
I make as little or as much as I want. Sometimes adding a bit of lettuce or
a tomato since my tomatoes are ripening in this awful heat. :-)

1/2 cup good olive oil

2 tsp grated lemon zest

1/4 cup plus 1 tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons)

2 tbs minced shallots

1 tsp celery seed

1/2 tsp celery salt

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

5 cups thinly sliced celery stalks, tender leaves included, sliced on an
angle with a sharp knife or mandoline (12 stalks, or 1 head of celery)

4-ounce chunk aged Parmesan-Reggiano cheese (I cut extra slices to share in
separate dish)

2/3 cup toasted walnuts or almonds, coarsely chopped

Whole flat-leaf parsley leaves

Directions:

At least an hour before you serve, whisk together the olive oil, lemon zest,
1/4 cup of lemon juice, the shallots, celery seed, celery salt, 2 tsp salt,
and 1 tsp pepper.

Place the thinly sliced celery in a mixing bowl and toss it with the
remaining 1 tbs of lemon juice and 1/2 tsp of salt.
Add enough dressing to moisten well.

Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour to allow the celery to crisp and
the flavors to develop.

When ready to serve, arrange the celery on a platter, shave the Parmesan
onto the celery with a vegetable peeler, then sprinkle with chopped walnuts,
parsley leaves, salt and pepper and serve immediately.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>> So what are your favorite salad greens? Costco sells some baby lettuces
>> that I love. But you have to buy so many in a package that we can never
>> finish them. Actually Angela won't eat them. But I can get her to eat
>> Romaine.

> I've been fixing a version of Ina Garten's recipe lately. For some reason
> I'm craving celery, and just add what I want to it, but this is her
> recipe. I make as little or as much as I want. Sometimes adding a bit of
> lettuce or a tomato since my tomatoes are ripening in this awful heat. :-)
>
> 1/2 cup good olive oil
>
> 2 tsp grated lemon zest
>
> 1/4 cup plus 1 tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons)
>
> 2 tbs minced shallots
>
> 1 tsp celery seed
>
> 1/2 tsp celery salt
>
> Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
>
> 5 cups thinly sliced celery stalks, tender leaves included, sliced on an
> angle with a sharp knife or mandoline (12 stalks, or 1 head of celery)
>
> 4-ounce chunk aged Parmesan-Reggiano cheese (I cut extra slices to share
> in separate dish)
>
> 2/3 cup toasted walnuts or almonds, coarsely chopped
>
> Whole flat-leaf parsley leaves
>
> Directions:
>
> At least an hour before you serve, whisk together the olive oil, lemon
> zest, 1/4 cup of lemon juice, the shallots, celery seed, celery salt, 2
> tsp salt, and 1 tsp pepper.
>
> Place the thinly sliced celery in a mixing bowl and toss it with the
> remaining 1 tbs of lemon juice and 1/2 tsp of salt.
> Add enough dressing to moisten well.
>
> Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour to allow the celery to crisp
> and the flavors to develop.
>
> When ready to serve, arrange the celery on a platter, shave the Parmesan
> onto the celery with a vegetable peeler, then sprinkle with chopped
> walnuts, parsley leaves, salt and pepper and serve immediately.

Thanks! I would have to make this without the parmesan for me and without
the nuts for Angela but I think it is something we would both eat. Not sure
when I can make it though since I have no shallots and not sure I could get
those at Target or Costco.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

These days I like to drink me 'salad' cause I use me Vitamix soo much!! It
sure is great!! Just throw in what ever veggies you like & round it off
with fave fruits & you are good ta go!!

Nana

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>>> So what are your favorite salad greens? Costco sells some baby lettuces
>>> that I love. But you have to buy so many in a package that we can never
>>> finish them. Actually Angela won't eat them. But I can get her to eat
>>> Romaine.

>> I've been fixing a version of Ina Garten's recipe lately. For some reason
>> I'm craving celery, and just add what I want to it, but this is her
>> recipe. I make as little or as much as I want. Sometimes adding a bit of
>> lettuce or a tomato since my tomatoes are ripening in this awful heat.
>> :-)
>>
>> 1/2 cup good olive oil
>>
>> 2 tsp grated lemon zest
>>
>> 1/4 cup plus 1 tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons)
>>
>> 2 tbs minced shallots
>>
>> 1 tsp celery seed
>>
>> 1/2 tsp celery salt
>>
>> Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
>>
>> 5 cups thinly sliced celery stalks, tender leaves included, sliced on an
>> angle with a sharp knife or mandoline (12 stalks, or 1 head of celery)
>>
>> 4-ounce chunk aged Parmesan-Reggiano cheese (I cut extra slices to share
>> in separate dish)
>>
>> 2/3 cup toasted walnuts or almonds, coarsely chopped
>>
>> Whole flat-leaf parsley leaves
>>
>> Directions:
>>
>> At least an hour before you serve, whisk together the olive oil, lemon
>> zest, 1/4 cup of lemon juice, the shallots, celery seed, celery salt, 2
>> tsp salt, and 1 tsp pepper.
>>
>> Place the thinly sliced celery in a mixing bowl and toss it with the
>> remaining 1 tbs of lemon juice and 1/2 tsp of salt.
>> Add enough dressing to moisten well.
>>
>> Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour to allow the celery to crisp
>> and the flavors to develop.
>>
>> When ready to serve, arrange the celery on a platter, shave the Parmesan
>> onto the celery with a vegetable peeler, then sprinkle with chopped
>> walnuts, parsley leaves, salt and pepper and serve immediately.

> Thanks! I would have to make this without the parmesan for me and without
> the nuts for Angela but I think it is something we would both eat. Not
> sure when I can make it though since I have no shallots and not sure I
> could get those at Target or Costco.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nana.Wilson" > wrote in message
> These days I like to drink me 'salad' cause I use me Vitamix soo much!!
> It sure is great!! Just throw in what ever veggies you like & round it
> off with fave fruits & you are good ta go!!
>
> Nana

Sounds like you're really getting a lot of use out of it. I'm not really big
on drinking stuff, I like the chew factor, but glad you're enjoying it.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri > wrote:
: "Nana.Wilson" > wrote in message
: ...
: > These days I like to drink me 'salad' cause I use me Vitamix soo much!!
: > It sure is great!! Just throw in what ever veggies you like & round it
: > off with fave fruits & you are good ta go!!
: >
: > Nana

: Sounds like you're really getting a lot of use out of it. I'm not really big
: on drinking stuff, I like the chew factor, but glad you're enjoying it.

: Cheri

Cheri, I would agree with you on eating salad and letting it fill you up.
the only liquidy type I do is gazpacho, which I do in the food processor,
not the blender so it has quite a good chew factor.

I am not fussy or particular about green salads, generally buying whatever
looks nice in the greens departmen . Recently I got a boston lettuce at a
good price so that ws the base of my ssalads for almost a week.

what I do find difficult is making salad for one and keeping the greens
fresh for a few days as, if I want a variety of vegetables in the salad,
lettuces, baby greens, tomatoes, radishes, etc, one serving uses so few of
each that they tend to go rotten before I an finish them.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Cheri > wrote:
> : "Nana.Wilson" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > These days I like to drink me 'salad' cause I use me Vitamix soo
> much!!
> : > It sure is great!! Just throw in what ever veggies you like & round
> it
> : > off with fave fruits & you are good ta go!!
> : >
> : > Nana
>
> : Sounds like you're really getting a lot of use out of it. I'm not really
> big
> : on drinking stuff, I like the chew factor, but glad you're enjoying it.
>
> : Cheri
>
> Cheri, I would agree with you on eating salad and letting it fill you up.
> the only liquidy type I do is gazpacho, which I do in the food processor,
> not the blender so it has quite a good chew factor.
>
> I am not fussy or particular about green salads, generally buying whatever
> looks nice in the greens departmen . Recently I got a boston lettuce at a
> good price so that ws the base of my ssalads for almost a week.
>
> what I do find difficult is making salad for one and keeping the greens
> fresh for a few days as, if I want a variety of vegetables in the salad,
> lettuces, baby greens, tomatoes, radishes, etc, one serving uses so few of
> each that they tend to go rotten before I an finish them.
>
> Wendy

Yes, I find that to be a problem too, since I'm usually the only one eating
it.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Cheri" > wrote:

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> > Cheri > wrote:
> > : "Nana.Wilson" > wrote in message
> > : ...
> > : > These days I like to drink me 'salad' cause I use me Vitamix soo
> > much!!
> > : > It sure is great!! Just throw in what ever veggies you like & round
> > it
> > : > off with fave fruits & you are good ta go!!
> > : >
> > : > Nana
> >
> > : Sounds like you're really getting a lot of use out of it. I'm not really
> > big
> > : on drinking stuff, I like the chew factor, but glad you're enjoying it.
> >
> > : Cheri
> >
> > Cheri, I would agree with you on eating salad and letting it fill you up.
> > the only liquidy type I do is gazpacho, which I do in the food processor,
> > not the blender so it has quite a good chew factor.
> >
> > I am not fussy or particular about green salads, generally buying whatever
> > looks nice in the greens departmen . Recently I got a boston lettuce at a
> > good price so that ws the base of my ssalads for almost a week.
> >
> > what I do find difficult is making salad for one and keeping the greens
> > fresh for a few days as, if I want a variety of vegetables in the salad,
> > lettuces, baby greens, tomatoes, radishes, etc, one serving uses so few of
> > each that they tend to go rotten before I an finish them.
> >
> > Wendy

> Yes, I find that to be a problem too, since I'm usually the only one eating
> it.

I've gotten better at not overbuying, but I do try to store greens in a
way that minimizes waste and spoilage. I have a Rubbermaid crisper bowl
that I keep washed lettuce in. It has a little grill in the bottom so
that the lettuce isn't sitting in any water that hasn't spun off after I
wash the lettuce. Other items get wrapped in a damp paper towel and
stored in a closed plastic bag. I put cut radishes in the lettuce
crisper, along with cucumbers that I've cut into. Mushrooms tend to be a
big problem in the summer, as I sometimes get tired of mushrooms before
I finish a box; in the winter, spare mushrooms go into soup.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nana.Wilson" > wrote in message
> These days I like to drink me 'salad' cause I use me Vitamix soo much!!
> It sure is great!! Just throw in what ever veggies you like & round it
> off with fave fruits & you are good ta go!!

That wouldn't work for me. It's a texture I couldn't swallow. But thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Cheri > wrote:
> : "Nana.Wilson" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > These days I like to drink me 'salad' cause I use me Vitamix soo
> much!!
> : > It sure is great!! Just throw in what ever veggies you like & round
> it
> : > off with fave fruits & you are good ta go!!
> : >
> : > Nana
>
> : Sounds like you're really getting a lot of use out of it. I'm not really
> big
> : on drinking stuff, I like the chew factor, but glad you're enjoying it.
>
> : Cheri
>
> Cheri, I would agree with you on eating salad and letting it fill you up.
> the only liquidy type I do is gazpacho, which I do in the food processor,
> not the blender so it has quite a good chew factor.
>
> I am not fussy or particular about green salads, generally buying whatever
> looks nice in the greens departmen . Recently I got a boston lettuce at a
> good price so that ws the base of my ssalads for almost a week.
>
> what I do find difficult is making salad for one and keeping the greens
> fresh for a few days as, if I want a variety of vegetables in the salad,
> lettuces, baby greens, tomatoes, radishes, etc, one serving uses so few of
> each that they tend to go rotten before I an finish them.

I tried Gazpacho once and hated it. I like all of the ingredients. Just
didn't like it once they were all together.

As for salads for one, that is something my Family Living teacher told us.
You can not make a good salad for one. For the reasons you cited.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Cheri" > wrote:
>
>> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> > Cheri > wrote:
>> > : "Nana.Wilson" > wrote in message
>> > : ...
>> > : > These days I like to drink me 'salad' cause I use me Vitamix soo
>> > much!!
>> > : > It sure is great!! Just throw in what ever veggies you like &
>> > round
>> > it
>> > : > off with fave fruits & you are good ta go!!
>> > : >
>> > : > Nana
>> >
>> > : Sounds like you're really getting a lot of use out of it. I'm not
>> > really
>> > big
>> > : on drinking stuff, I like the chew factor, but glad you're enjoying
>> > it.
>> >
>> > : Cheri
>> >
>> > Cheri, I would agree with you on eating salad and letting it fill you
>> > up.
>> > the only liquidy type I do is gazpacho, which I do in the food
>> > processor,
>> > not the blender so it has quite a good chew factor.
>> >
>> > I am not fussy or particular about green salads, generally buying
>> > whatever
>> > looks nice in the greens departmen . Recently I got a boston lettuce
>> > at a
>> > good price so that ws the base of my ssalads for almost a week.
>> >
>> > what I do find difficult is making salad for one and keeping the greens
>> > fresh for a few days as, if I want a variety of vegetables in the
>> > salad,
>> > lettuces, baby greens, tomatoes, radishes, etc, one serving uses so few
>> > of
>> > each that they tend to go rotten before I an finish them.
>> >
>> > Wendy

>> Yes, I find that to be a problem too, since I'm usually the only one
>> eating
>> it.
>>

> I've gotten better at not overbuying, but I do try to store greens in a
> way that minimizes waste and spoilage. I have a Rubbermaid crisper bowl
> that I keep washed lettuce in. It has a little grill in the bottom so
> that the lettuce isn't sitting in any water that hasn't spun off after I
> wash the lettuce. Other items get wrapped in a damp paper towel and
> stored in a closed plastic bag. I put cut radishes in the lettuce
> crisper, along with cucumbers that I've cut into. Mushrooms tend to be a
> big problem in the summer, as I sometimes get tired of mushrooms before
> I finish a box; in the winter, spare mushrooms go into soup.

Cucumbers are the bad thing here. Costco sells tiny ones but you have to
buy a ton! If we could get one or two tiny ones it would be perfect. I
hate touching slimy cukes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> As for salads for one, that is something my Family Living teacher told us.
> You can not make a good salad for one. For the reasons you cited.

Funny thing here. I do it every day. Sometimes twice a day. And I think
my salads are pretty damn good.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
: >> >
: >> > what I do find difficult is making salad for one and keeping the greens
: >> > fresh for a few days as, if I want a variety of vegetables in the
: >> > salad,
: >> > lettuces, baby greens, tomatoes, radishes, etc, one serving uses so few
: >> > of
: >> > each that they tend to go rotten before I an finish them.
: >> >
: >> > Wendy
: >>
[...]

simple solution is to buy the tiny (or any cukes) at another store that
sells them either by fewer pieces or by the pound. Each cuke may clst
more, but if you only eat two or three and thow out the slimy rest, you
are not sving anyting.

I find those tiny Persian cukes to be great to have on hand for a snack
when I get the munchies. Has angela tried that?

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : >> >
> : >> > what I do find difficult is making salad for one and keeping the
> greens
> : >> > fresh for a few days as, if I want a variety of vegetables in the
> : >> > salad,
> : >> > lettuces, baby greens, tomatoes, radishes, etc, one serving uses so
> few
> : >> > of
> : >> > each that they tend to go rotten before I an finish them.
> : >> >
> : >> > Wendy
> : >>
> : >> Yes, I find that to be a problem too, since I'm usually the only one
> : >> eating
> : >> it.
> : >>
> : >
> : > I've gotten better at not overbuying, but I do try to store greens in
> : > way that minimizes waste and spoilage. I have a Rubbermaid crisper
> bowl
> : > that I keep washed lettuce in. It has a little grill in the bottom so
> : > that the lettuce isn't sitting in any water that hasn't spun off after
> : > wash the lettuce. Other items get wrapped in a damp paper towel and
> : > stored in a closed plastic bag. I put cut radishes in the lettuce
> : > crisper, along with cucumbers that I've cut into. Mushrooms tend to be
> : > big problem in the summer, as I sometimes get tired of mushrooms
> before
> : > I finish a box; in the winter, spare mushrooms go into soup.
>
> : Cucumbers are the bad thing here. Costco sells tiny ones but you have
> : buy a ton! If we could get one or two tiny ones it would be perfect. I
> : hate touching slimy cukes.
>
> simple solution is to buy the tiny (or any cukes) at another store that
> sells them either by fewer pieces or by the pound. Each cuke may clst
> more, but if you only eat two or three and thow out the slimy rest, you
> are not sving anyting.

There is no other store that sells them.

> I find those tiny Persian cukes to be great to have on hand for a snack
> when I get the munchies. Has angela tried that?

She might eat one or two but that's about it. The Costco sized bags have
something like 30 in there. She can't even eat one cucumber in the course
of the week. Exception being for the few days when she was making
smoothies. I think she got burned out on those. Is eating none now and of
course I bought a bag of frozen strawberries from Costco. Nobody will eat
those now.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : >> >
> : >> > what I do find difficult is making salad for one and keeping
> the greens
> : >> > fresh for a few days as, if I want a variety of vegetables in
> the
> : >> > salad,
> : >> > lettuces, baby greens, tomatoes, radishes, etc, one serving
> uses so few
> : >> > of
> : >> > each that they tend to go rotten before I an finish them.
> : >> >
> : >> > Wendy
> : >>
> : >> Yes, I find that to be a problem too, since I'm usually the only
> one
> : >> eating
> : >> it.
> : >>
> : >
> : > I've gotten better at not overbuying, but I do try to store greens
> in a
> : > way that minimizes waste and spoilage. I have a Rubbermaid crisper
> bowl
> : > that I keep washed lettuce in. It has a little grill in the bottom
> so
> : > that the lettuce isn't sitting in any water that hasn't spun off
> after I
> : > wash the lettuce. Other items get wrapped in a damp paper towel
> and
> : > stored in a closed plastic bag. I put cut radishes in the lettuce
> : > crisper, along with cucumbers that I've cut into. Mushrooms tend
> to be a
> : > big problem in the summer, as I sometimes get tired of mushrooms
> before
> : > I finish a box; in the winter, spare mushrooms go into soup.
>
> : Cucumbers are the bad thing here. Costco sells tiny ones but you
> have to
> : buy a ton! If we could get one or two tiny ones it would be
> perfect. I
> : hate touching slimy cukes.
>
> simple solution is to buy the tiny (or any cukes) at another store
> that
> sells them either by fewer pieces or by the pound. Each cuke may clst
> more, but if you only eat two or three and thow out the slimy rest,
> you
> are not sving anyting.
>
> I find those tiny Persian cukes to be great to have on hand for a
> snack
> when I get the munchies. Has angela tried that?
>
> Wendy

Sounds like the Lebanese cucumbers we get here, very tasty and the whole
lot is palatable. I can't remember the last time I ate a regular
cucumber.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message

>> I find those tiny Persian cukes to be great to have on hand for a
>> snack
>> when I get the munchies. Has angela tried that?

> She might eat one or two but that's about it. The Costco sized bags
> have something like 30 in there. She can't even eat one cucumber in
> the course of the week. Exception being for the few days when she was
> making smoothies. I think she got burned out on those. Is eating
> none now and of course I bought a bag of frozen strawberries from
> Costco. Nobody will eat those now.

Hubby might like them? I occasionally warm up some frozen berries which
creates a small amount of warm berry juice as well. Great over a good
quality ice cream or even in thick, warm custard Generally though the
kids use anything and everything for their smoothies. The latest is
banana and frozen berries with ice cream and a bit of milk in the magic
bullet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I make very simple salads, iceberg lettuce, cheese and lots of Italian
or 1000 island dressing, or sometimes French, I don't like ranch or
creamy type dressings.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Julie Bove > wrote:
: > : >> >
: > : >> > what I do find difficult is making salad for one and keeping the
: > greens
: > : >> > fresh for a few days as, if I want a variety of vegetables in the
: > : >> > salad,
: > : >> > lettuces, baby greens, tomatoes, radishes, etc, one serving uses so
: > few
: > : >> > of
: > : >> > each that they tend to go rotten before I an finish them.
: > : >> >
: > : >> > Wendy
: > : >>
: > : >> Yes, I find that to be a problem too, since I'm usually the only one
: > : >> eating
: > : >> it.
: > : >>
: > : >
[...]

I buy th elittle cukes by the pound so I can buy just 2 or 3 adn they will
last me a week. At Trader Joes, they sell them in packs of 5, which is
not bad, but I do have to rmemember to eat them within a week. I would
never consider buying 30 in a pack unless I was expecting tons of guests
who loved cukes:-)

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "W. Baker" > wrote in message

>>> I find those tiny Persian cukes to be great to have on hand for a snack
>>> when I get the munchies. Has angela tried that?

>> She might eat one or two but that's about it. The Costco sized bags have
>> something like 30 in there. She can't even eat one cucumber in the
>> course of the week. Exception being for the few days when she was making
>> smoothies. I think she got burned out on those. Is eating none now and
>> of course I bought a bag of frozen strawberries from Costco. Nobody will
>> eat those now.

> Hubby might like them? I occasionally warm up some frozen berries which
> creates a small amount of warm berry juice as well. Great over a good
> quality ice cream or even in thick, warm custard Generally though the
> kids use anything and everything for their smoothies. The latest is banana
> and frozen berries with ice cream and a bit of milk in the magic bullet.

No. He doesn't eat cucumbers and neither do I. Oh the strawberries! No.
He won't eat them. I will only buy single serve ice cream with nuts in it.
And only in small quantizes because we don't know when he is leaving. It's
not his favorite. He prefers plain ice cream. Would never eat it with
anything put on it. Nobody here eats custard either. Ice cream is
something Angela will eat and she can't have it. So we will only buy the
kind she can't have. She's not tempted by that. At least we have that big
freezer. The berries will keep for awhile. She might get back into
smoothies again one day.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Colt T" > wrote in message
>I make very simple salads, iceberg lettuce, cheese and lots of Italian
> or 1000 island dressing, or sometimes French, I don't like ranch or
> creamy type dressings.

Thanks! I don't like dressing at all.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> : > when I get the munchies. Has angela tried that?
>

> : She might eat one or two but that's about it. The Costco sized bags
> have
> : something like 30 in there. She can't even eat one cucumber in the
> course
> : of the week. Exception being for the few days when she was making
> : smoothies. I think she got burned out on those. Is eating none now and
> of
> : course I bought a bag of frozen strawberries from Costco. Nobody will
> eat
> : those now.
>
> I buy th elittle cukes by the pound so I can buy just 2 or 3 adn they will
> last me a week. At Trader Joes, they sell them in packs of 5, which is
> not bad, but I do have to rmemember to eat them within a week. I would
> never consider buying 30 in a pack unless I was expecting tons of guests

They are cheap. I have never seen them in any other store. Just the plain
ones and the English.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> "Nana.Wilson" > wrote in message
> > These days I like to drink me 'salad' cause I use me Vitamix soo much!!
> > It sure is great!! Just throw in what ever veggies you like & round it
> > off with fave fruits & you are good ta go!!

> That wouldn't work for me. It's a texture I couldn't swallow. But thanks!

not to mention, which I'm surprised you didn't, low carbing raises YOUR glucose
levels
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> > simple solution is to buy the tiny (or any cukes) at another store that
> > sells them either by fewer pieces or by the pound. Each cuke may clst
> > more, but if you only eat two or three and thow out the slimy rest, you
> > are not sving anyting.

> There is no other store that sells them.

You live in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the United States and you
actually believe that? LOL, you have so many excuses

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> They are cheap. I have never seen them in any other store. Just the plain
> ones and the English.

inquiring minds want to know which stores you looked for them
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> [...]
> >> Romaine.
> >>

> > I like Romaine, iceberg, Boston, Baby Spinach Greens, I like tomatoes red
> > onions, celery, shredded carrots, English seedless cucumbers. If we are
> > having Italian I just like a bit of Romaine and Iceberg mixes with red
> > onions tomatoes, olives and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, add a bit of
> > home made Italian Dressing. Sometimes we buy the dressing at Olive Garden.
> > I like Chef's salads for lunch, Iceberg lettuce , baby spinach leaves,
> > tomatoes onion, some rotisserie chicken cut up, a bit of ham chopped,
> > maybe a crumbled hard boiled egg or cheese crumbles. I like buttermilk
> > ranch with that or thousand island (I can get the one carb dressing at my
> > grocery store.)
> > I do make a bbq chicken salad and add black beans to it, my husband also
> > gets corn. The salad I make is like the Whiskey BBQ Chicken Salad made at

Of course, if you grow your own lettuce, then just a little vinegar,
olive oil, black pepper, mustard, garlic, and herb du jour (I like
oregano) is fine by itself. Garden lettuce at least has flavor. You
could do it in a window box. Add a couple of 5 gal. pots, one for a
Glacier tomato, and the other for a cucumber of choice (I like lemon),
and a couple of times a week you will have a salad that is second to
none.

--
Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Friday, August 10, 2012 9:56:30 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> I ask this as I am forcing down a bowl of "American" salad. Now when I was
>
> a kid this was pretty much all we ever got. Except for the years when I had
>
> a garden and grew leaf lettuce. For those of you who don't know what this
>
> is, it is iceberg lettuce, shredded carrots and a small amount of shredded
>
> purple cabbage. Once in a while there will be a few red radish slices in it
>
> as well.
>

> I remember the first time I had butter lettuce at the Hunt Club. That was a
>
> restaurant I couldn't normally afford to dine at. But my friend was
>
> graduating from college and rather than throw a party, his parents too me
>
> and another friend out to dinner with them to this place. I was very
>
> uncomfortable during the meal, partly because I had to dress up (and I hate
>
> to do that) and partly because people kept hovering around us. I also
>
> remember having a pepper crusted steak which I really didn't like, being a
>
> vegetarian and all but at that point in time there were no vegetarian dishes
>
> on the menu. I think my friend had duck. They did have a guy who came
>
> around with a big pepper mill. I did like that.
>

> I like pretty much all of the salad greens except for when they are really
>
> bitter. Sometimes I will get a blend that has too much bitter stuff in it.
>
> I don't normally buy bagged salad for fear of food poisoning but this bag
>
> came from Costco and it was only $2.17. We've been eating salad all week
>
> from it. Tonight I put some green onions and some green pepper on it as
>
> well as some black olives. I intended to put walnuts but I forgot. The
>
> green pepper was an accident. The produce drawer was stuffed full but I
>
> insisted to Angela that I could fit the remaining three green onions in
>
> there. Well, I did but I smashed the green pepper. Which is why I ate it
>
> tonight.
>

> I also like tomatoes and celery on my salad. And I often put kidney, pinto
>
> or garbanzo beans on there. Cooked white beans are good too although I
>
> don't really like black beans on a salad too much. Unless it is really a
>
> Mexican type salad with like...corn and salsa. Then it's okay. I also like
>
> that baby corn but I only ever want two ears. So I never buy the stuff
>
> because nobody else will eat it and it always goes bad before I can finish
>
> it.
>

> So what are your favorite salad greens? Costco sells some baby lettuces
>
> that I love. But you have to buy so many in a package that we can never
>
> finish them. Actually Angela won't eat them. But I can get her to eat
>
> Romaine.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Friday, August 10, 2012 9:56:30 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> I ask this as I am forcing down a bowl of "American" salad. Now when I was
>
> a kid this was pretty much all we ever got. Except for the years when I had
>
> a garden and grew leaf lettuce. For those of you who don't know what this
>
> is, it is iceberg lettuce, shredded carrots and a small amount of shredded
>
> purple cabbage. Once in a while there will be a few red radish slices in it
>
> as well.

I like greens all of them mustard tunips collard greens and cabbage. I do eat salads from time to time but I must admit I do not know the difference between lettuce.

> I remember the first time I had butter lettuce at the Hunt Club. That was a
>
> restaurant I couldn't normally afford to dine at. But my friend was
>
> graduating from college and rather than throw a party, his parents too me
>
> and another friend out to dinner with them to this place. I was very
>
> uncomfortable during the meal, partly because I had to dress up (and I hate
>
> to do that) and partly because people kept hovering around us. I also
>
> remember having a pepper crusted steak which I really didn't like, being a
>
> vegetarian and all but at that point in time there were no vegetarian dishes
>
> on the menu. I think my friend had duck. They did have a guy who came
>
> around with a big pepper mill. I did like that.
>

> I like pretty much all of the salad greens except for when they are really
>
> bitter. Sometimes I will get a blend that has too much bitter stuff in it.
>
> I don't normally buy bagged salad for fear of food poisoning but this bag
>
> came from Costco and it was only $2.17. We've been eating salad all week
>
> from it. Tonight I put some green onions and some green pepper on it as
>
> well as some black olives. I intended to put walnuts but I forgot. The
>
> green pepper was an accident. The produce drawer was stuffed full but I
>
> insisted to Angela that I could fit the remaining three green onions in
>
> there. Well, I did but I smashed the green pepper. Which is why I ate it
>
> tonight.
>

> I also like tomatoes and celery on my salad. And I often put kidney, pinto
>
> or garbanzo beans on there. Cooked white beans are good too although I
>
> don't really like black beans on a salad too much. Unless it is really a
>
> Mexican type salad with like...corn and salsa. Then it's okay. I also like
>
> that baby corn but I only ever want two ears. So I never buy the stuff
>
> because nobody else will eat it and it always goes bad before I can finish
>
> it.
>

> So what are your favorite salad greens? Costco sells some baby lettuces
>
> that I love. But you have to buy so many in a package that we can never
>
> finish them. Actually Angela won't eat them. But I can get her to eat
>
> Romaine.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Mostlovely > wrote:

> On Friday, August 10, 2012 9:56:30 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> > I ask this as I am forcing down a bowl of "American" salad. Now when I was
> >
> > a kid this was pretty much all we ever got. Except for the years when I
> > had
> >
> > a garden and grew leaf lettuce. For those of you who don't know what this
> >
> > is, it is iceberg lettuce, shredded carrots and a small amount of shredded
> >
> > purple cabbage. Once in a while there will be a few red radish slices in
> > it
> >
> > as well.

> I like greens all of them mustard tunips collard greens and cabbage. I do
> eat salads from time to time but I must admit I do not know the difference
> between lettuce.

Salads (lettuce) from the garden have flavor, and texture, and aren't
difficult to grow.

--
Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
or
E Pluribus Unum
Green Party Nominee Jill Stein & Running Mate, Cheri Honkala
<http://www.democracynow.org/2012/7/13/green_party_nominee_jill_stein_running>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Billy" > wrote in message
> In article >,
>
> Salads (lettuce) from the garden have flavor, and texture, and aren't
> difficult to grow.

No but as a person who has grown them in the pazt I do know that it is
somewhat difficult to get the right amount of the greens. Not only do you
tend to get too much at once but everybody you know with a garden will also
get too many and try to give it to you! I have even tried the "cut and come
again" type of mixes but they didn't work so well. I still got too much at
once and then had to wait until it grew again so I could harvest it.