Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alice Faber Alice Faber is offline

Default Favorite green type salads?

In article >,
"Cheri" > wrote:

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> > Cheri > wrote:
> > : "Nana.Wilson" > wrote in message
> > : ...
> > : > These days I like to drink me 'salad' cause I use me Vitamix soo
> > much!!
> > : > It sure is great!! Just throw in what ever veggies you like & round
> > it
> > : > off with fave fruits & you are good ta go!!
> > : >
> > : > Nana
> >
> > : Sounds like you're really getting a lot of use out of it. I'm not really
> > big
> > : on drinking stuff, I like the chew factor, but glad you're enjoying it.
> >
> > : Cheri
> >
> > Cheri, I would agree with you on eating salad and letting it fill you up.
> > the only liquidy type I do is gazpacho, which I do in the food processor,
> > not the blender so it has quite a good chew factor.
> >
> > I am not fussy or particular about green salads, generally buying whatever
> > looks nice in the greens departmen . Recently I got a boston lettuce at a
> > good price so that ws the base of my ssalads for almost a week.
> >
> > what I do find difficult is making salad for one and keeping the greens
> > fresh for a few days as, if I want a variety of vegetables in the salad,
> > lettuces, baby greens, tomatoes, radishes, etc, one serving uses so few of
> > each that they tend to go rotten before I an finish them.
> >
> > Wendy

> Yes, I find that to be a problem too, since I'm usually the only one eating
> it.

I've gotten better at not overbuying, but I do try to store greens in a
way that minimizes waste and spoilage. I have a Rubbermaid crisper bowl
that I keep washed lettuce in. It has a little grill in the bottom so
that the lettuce isn't sitting in any water that hasn't spun off after I
wash the lettuce. Other items get wrapped in a damp paper towel and
stored in a closed plastic bag. I put cut radishes in the lettuce
crisper, along with cucumbers that I've cut into. Mushrooms tend to be a
big problem in the summer, as I sometimes get tired of mushrooms before
I finish a box; in the winter, spare mushrooms go into soup.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet