Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Favorite green type salads?

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : >> >
> : >> > what I do find difficult is making salad for one and keeping the
> greens
> : >> > fresh for a few days as, if I want a variety of vegetables in the
> : >> > salad,
> : >> > lettuces, baby greens, tomatoes, radishes, etc, one serving uses so
> few
> : >> > of
> : >> > each that they tend to go rotten before I an finish them.
> : >> >
> : >> > Wendy
> : >>
> : >> Yes, I find that to be a problem too, since I'm usually the only one
> : >> eating
> : >> it.
> : >>
> : >
> : > I've gotten better at not overbuying, but I do try to store greens in
> : > way that minimizes waste and spoilage. I have a Rubbermaid crisper
> bowl
> : > that I keep washed lettuce in. It has a little grill in the bottom so
> : > that the lettuce isn't sitting in any water that hasn't spun off after
> : > wash the lettuce. Other items get wrapped in a damp paper towel and
> : > stored in a closed plastic bag. I put cut radishes in the lettuce
> : > crisper, along with cucumbers that I've cut into. Mushrooms tend to be
> : > big problem in the summer, as I sometimes get tired of mushrooms
> before
> : > I finish a box; in the winter, spare mushrooms go into soup.
>
> : Cucumbers are the bad thing here. Costco sells tiny ones but you have
> : buy a ton! If we could get one or two tiny ones it would be perfect. I
> : hate touching slimy cukes.
>
> simple solution is to buy the tiny (or any cukes) at another store that
> sells them either by fewer pieces or by the pound. Each cuke may clst
> more, but if you only eat two or three and thow out the slimy rest, you
> are not sving anyting.

There is no other store that sells them.

> I find those tiny Persian cukes to be great to have on hand for a snack
> when I get the munchies. Has angela tried that?

She might eat one or two but that's about it. The Costco sized bags have
something like 30 in there. She can't even eat one cucumber in the course
of the week. Exception being for the few days when she was making
smoothies. I think she got burned out on those. Is eating none now and of
course I bought a bag of frozen strawberries from Costco. Nobody will eat
those now.