Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Jacquie Jacquie is offline

Default Favorite green type salads?

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I ask this as I am forcing down a bowl of "American" salad. Now when I was
>a kid this was pretty much all we ever got. Except for the years when I
>had a garden and grew leaf lettuce. For those of you who don't know what
>this is, it is iceberg lettuce, shredded carrots and a small amount of
>shredded purple cabbage. Once in a while there will be a few red radish
>slices in it as well.
>
> I remember the first time I had butter lettuce at the Hunt Club. That was
> a restaurant I couldn't normally afford to dine at. But my friend was
> graduating from college and rather than throw a party, his parents too me
> and another friend out to dinner with them to this place. I was very
> uncomfortable during the meal, partly because I had to dress up (and I
> hate to do that) and partly because people kept hovering around us. I
> also remember having a pepper crusted steak which I really didn't like,
> being a vegetarian and all but at that point in time there were no
> vegetarian dishes on the menu. I think my friend had duck. They did have
> a guy who came around with a big pepper mill. I did like that.
>
> I like pretty much all of the salad greens except for when they are really
> bitter. Sometimes I will get a blend that has too much bitter stuff in
> it. I don't normally buy bagged salad for fear of food poisoning but this
> bag came from Costco and it was only $2.17. We've been eating salad all
> week from it. Tonight I put some green onions and some green pepper on it
> as well as some black olives. I intended to put walnuts but I forgot.
> The green pepper was an accident. The produce drawer was stuffed full but
> I insisted to Angela that I could fit the remaining three green onions in
> there. Well, I did but I smashed the green pepper. Which is why I ate it
> tonight.
>
> I also like tomatoes and celery on my salad. And I often put kidney,
> pinto or garbanzo beans on there. Cooked white beans are good too
> although I don't really like black beans on a salad too much. Unless it
> is really a Mexican type salad with like...corn and salsa. Then it's
> okay. I also like that baby corn but I only ever want two ears. So I
> never buy the stuff because nobody else will eat it and it always goes bad
> before I can finish it.
>
> So what are your favorite salad greens? Costco sells some baby lettuces
> that I love. But you have to buy so many in a package that we can never
> finish them. Actually Angela won't eat them. But I can get her to eat
> Romaine.

I like Romaine, iceberg, Boston, Baby Spinach Greens, I like tomatoes red
onions, celery, shredded carrots, English seedless cucumbers. If we are
having Italian I just like a bit of Romaine and Iceberg mixes with red
onions tomatoes, olives and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, add a bit of home
made Italian Dressing. Sometimes we buy the dressing at Olive Garden.
I like Chef's salads for lunch, Iceberg lettuce , baby spinach leaves,
tomatoes onion, some rotisserie chicken cut up, a bit of ham chopped, maybe
a crumbled hard boiled egg or cheese crumbles. I like buttermilk ranch with
that or thousand island (I can get the one carb dressing at my grocery
store.)
I do make a bbq chicken salad and add black beans to it, my husband also
gets corn. The salad I make is like the Whiskey BBQ Chicken Salad made at
Red Robin...found a recipe.