Old 18-02-2012, 10:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What Is Your Most Or Least Favorite Type Of Nut?

I like all nuts and most often buy cashews, peanuts, almonds, pecans and
walnuts.

Do you like to just eat them as is, or have special things you use them
in? I use a lot with my baking.

The only nut I really don't care for the flavor of is black walnuts, as
are so strong, or something.

Maybe some of you grow certain varieties of nuts in your yard? They
don't do well here in Alaska, but Swede's sister use to send us fresh
pecans from her yard, in AR. before she passed away. She even shelled
them!

Judy

Old 18-02-2012, 10:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 18, 1:21*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
I like all nuts and most often buy cashews, peanuts, almonds, pecans and
walnuts.

Do you like to just eat them as is, or have special things you use them
in? I use a lot with my baking.

The only nut I really don't care for the flavor of is black walnuts, as
are so strong, or something.

Maybe some of you grow certain varieties of nuts in your yard? They
don't do well here in Alaska, but Swede's sister use to send us fresh
pecans from her yard, in AR. before she passed away. She even shelled
them!

Judy

We have wild hazelnuts all over here, but they are tiny and the birds
get them all.
My fave is pistachio.
Old 18-02-2012, 11:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy Haffner wrote:

The only nut I really don't care for the flavor of is black walnuts, as
are so strong, or something.

Did you learn not to like them before you knew about Herman Cain?

Old 18-02-2012, 11:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" wrote in message

I like all nuts and most often buy cashews, peanuts, almonds, pecans and
walnuts.

Do you like to just eat them as is, or have special things you use them
in? I use a lot with my baking.

The only nut I really don't care for the flavor of is black walnuts, as
are so strong, or something.

Maybe some of you grow certain varieties of nuts in your yard? They
don't do well here in Alaska, but Swede's sister use to send us fresh
pecans from her yard, in AR. before she passed away. She even shelled
them!

Favorite: tie between pecans and macadamia, either of which can
go on almost anything and make it taste better. Super by themselves.

Least fav: Brazil nuts, which I find starchy and flavorless and useless.

pavane

Old 18-02-2012, 11:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2012 4:21 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

I like all nuts and most often buy cashews, peanuts, almonds, pecans and
walnuts.

Do you like to just eat them as is, or have special things you use them
in? I use a lot with my baking.

The only nut I really don't care for the flavor of is black walnuts, as
are so strong, or something.

Maybe some of you grow certain varieties of nuts in your yard? They
don't do well here in Alaska, but Swede's sister use to send us fresh
pecans from her yard, in AR. before she passed away. She even shelled
them!

\

I don't really like pea-nuts but I'm practically addicted to the rest:
cashews, pistachios, filberts, walnuts, brazil nuts, you name them!

--
Jim Silverton

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Old 19-02-2012, 12:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18/02/2012 4:21 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

I like all nuts and most often buy cashews, peanuts, almonds, pecans and
walnuts.

Do you like to just eat them as is, or have special things you use them
in? I use a lot with my baking.

The only nut I really don't care for the flavor of is black walnuts, as
are so strong, or something.

Maybe some of you grow certain varieties of nuts in your yard? They
don't do well here in Alaska, but Swede's sister use to send us fresh
pecans from her yard, in AR. before she passed away. She even shelled
them!

Unfortunately, I cannot eat nuts. It is a shame because I like most
nuts. I love pistachios, cashews, hazelnuts, filberts, Brazil nuts.
Pecans are okay, especially in pecan pie, but I am not crazy about walnuts.
Old 19-02-2012, 12:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 18, 4:21*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
I like all nuts and most often buy cashews, peanuts, almonds, pecans and
walnuts.

Do you like to just eat them as is, or have special things you use them
in? I use a lot with my baking.

The only nut I really don't care for the flavor of is black walnuts, as
are so strong, or something.

Maybe some of you grow certain varieties of nuts in your yard? They
don't do well here in Alaska, but Swede's sister use to send us fresh
pecans from her yard, in AR. before she passed away. She even shelled
them!

Judy

My favorite nut is the cashew. Roasted and salted. A fellow at work
used to bring peanuts in which were pretty good. His wife sauteed
them, and added some Filipino hot sauce while they were sauteeing.
Pretty good stuff.
Old 19-02-2012, 12:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 18, 4:40*pm, merryb wrote:
On Feb 18, 1:21*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:

I like all nuts and most often buy cashews, peanuts, almonds, pecans and
walnuts.

Do you like to just eat them as is, or have special things you use them
in? I use a lot with my baking.

The only nut I really don't care for the flavor of is black walnuts, as
are so strong, or something.

Maybe some of you grow certain varieties of nuts in your yard? They
don't do well here in Alaska, but Swede's sister use to send us fresh
pecans from her yard, in AR. before she passed away. She even shelled
them!

Judy

We have wild hazelnuts all over here, but they are tiny and the birds
get them all.
My fave is pistachio.

I like pistachios in the shell that are salted.

Old 19-02-2012, 12:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 18, 6:08*pm, Dave Smith wrote:
On 18/02/2012 4:21 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

I like all nuts and most often buy cashews, peanuts, almonds, pecans and
walnuts.

Do you like to just eat them as is, or have special things you use them
in? I use a lot with my baking.

The only nut I really don't care for the flavor of is black walnuts, as
are so strong, or something.

Maybe some of you grow certain varieties of nuts in your yard? They
don't do well here in Alaska, but Swede's sister use to send us fresh
pecans from her yard, in AR. before she passed away. She even shelled
them!

Unfortunately, I cannot eat nuts. It is a shame because I like most
nuts. *I love pistachios, cashews, hazelnuts, filberts, Brazil nuts.
Pecans are okay, especially in pecan pie, but I am not crazy about walnuts.

Walnuts are good in pastries. For example a Hungarian style walnut
roll. Also a Hungarian style poppy seed roll is very good as well.
Old 19-02-2012, 01:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 15:24:34 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
wrote:

Walnuts are good in pastries. For example a Hungarian style walnut
roll.

I tried to find a recipe, but they are quite different. I think I
like the one with the apple and walnut filling, but is it really
supposed to have apple in it?

Old 19-02-2012, 02:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote:

Favorite: tie between pecans and
macadamia, either of which can
go on almost anything and make it taste
better. Super by themselves.

Least fav: Brazil nuts, which I find
starchy and flavorless and useless.

I forgot about macadamia nuts....love them! When hubby took me out for
dinner on Valentine's Day, I ordered Macadamia Encrusted Baked Halibut
served with peach chutney on the side...it was to die for!

I know what you mean about Brazil nuts. I think it was sf said that
said, they were the last nut left in a can of mixed nuts, and same here.

Judy

Old 19-02-2012, 02:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

l,*not*-l wrote:

My favorite is pistachios, which I eat as
a snack several times-a-week.

We also like pistachios, but I sure wish you could buy them already
shelled?! If they have them as such, I've sure never seen them?!

Judy