Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Favorite green type salads?

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Julie Bove > wrote:
: > : >> >
: > : >> > what I do find difficult is making salad for one and keeping the
: > greens
: > : >> > fresh for a few days as, if I want a variety of vegetables in the
: > : >> > salad,
: > : >> > lettuces, baby greens, tomatoes, radishes, etc, one serving uses so
: > few
: > : >> > of
: > : >> > each that they tend to go rotten before I an finish them.
: > : >> >
: > : >> > Wendy
: > : >>
: > : >> Yes, I find that to be a problem too, since I'm usually the only one
: > : >> eating
: > : >> it.
: > : >>
: > : >
: > : > I've gotten better at not overbuying, but I do try to store greens in
: > a
: > : > way that minimizes waste and spoilage. I have a Rubbermaid crisper
: > bowl
: > : > that I keep washed lettuce in. It has a little grill in the bottom so
: > : > that the lettuce isn't sitting in any water that hasn't spun off after
: > I
: > : > wash the lettuce. Other items get wrapped in a damp paper towel and
: > : > stored in a closed plastic bag. I put cut radishes in the lettuce
: > : > crisper, along with cucumbers that I've cut into. Mushrooms tend to be
: > a
: > : > big problem in the summer, as I sometimes get tired of mushrooms
: > before
: > : > I finish a box; in the winter, spare mushrooms go into soup.
: >
: > : Cucumbers are the bad thing here. Costco sells tiny ones but you have
: > : buy a ton! If we could get one or two tiny ones it would be perfect. I
: > : hate touching slimy cukes.
: >
: > simple solution is to buy the tiny (or any cukes) at another store that
: > sells them either by fewer pieces or by the pound. Each cuke may clst
: > more, but if you only eat two or three and thow out the slimy rest, you
: > are not sving anyting.

: There is no other store that sells them.
: >
: > I find those tiny Persian cukes to be great to have on hand for a snack
: > when I get the munchies. Has angela tried that?

: She might eat one or two but that's about it. The Costco sized bags have
: something like 30 in there. She can't even eat one cucumber in the course
: of the week. Exception being for the few days when she was making
: smoothies. I think she got burned out on those. Is eating none now and of
: course I bought a bag of frozen strawberries from Costco. Nobody will eat
: those now.

I buy th elittle cukes by the pound so I can buy just 2 or 3 adn they will
last me a week. At Trader Joes, they sell them in packs of 5, which is
not bad, but I do have to rmemember to eat them within a week. I would
never consider buying 30 in a pack unless I was expecting tons of guests
who loved cukes:-)

Wendy