Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What Is Your Most Or Least Favorite Type Of Nut?

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Feb 20, 6:57 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> George M. Middius wrote:
>>> They're a bargain at TJ, but you're right IMO about the freshness. A
>>> drugstore chain here (CVS) also has shelled pistachios, and sometimes
>>> Safeway has them too.

>> Fresher than TJ's? I have some of the unshelled pistachios,
>> because I was thinking of making a fruitcake. It didn't
>> materialize though. I hope they are usable for cooking.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> I can always buy macadamia nuts without shells in the baking aisle - I
> make cookies using those and white "chocolate" chips, instead of
> regular chocolate chips. Delicious, so I'm told. Naturally, I've
> never tried one.
>
> N.

Speaking of white chocolate and nuts, white chocolate goes well
with hazelnuts. A woman whom I used to work with brought some
wc-h brownies to work, and they were divine. (I am not much of a
white chocolate fan either.)

And I forgot. I'd REALLY like to have hickory nuts again. I used
to sit on my second parents' back steps, smashing them with a
rock. They were REALLY good. One of the houses I looked at had a
pig nut (synonym) tree, and I meant to get a few nuts. I should
have been speedier, because the tree got chopped down a couple of
months ago.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 21, 9:49*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
> >> Fresher than TJ's? *I have some of the unshelled pistachios,
> >> because I was thinking of making a fruitcake. *It didn't
> >> materialize though. *I hope they are usable for cooking.

> >> --
> >> Jean B.

> > I can always buy macadamia nuts without shells in the baking aisle - I
> > make cookies using those and white "chocolate" chips, instead of
> > regular chocolate chips. *Delicious, so I'm told. *Naturally, I've
> > never tried one.

> > N.

> Speaking of white chocolate and nuts, white chocolate goes well
> with hazelnuts. *A woman whom I used to work with brought some
> wc-h brownies to work, and they were divine. *(I am not much of a
> white chocolate fan either.)
>
> And I forgot. *I'd REALLY like to have hickory nuts again. *I used
> to sit on my second parents' back steps, smashing them with a
> rock. *They were REALLY good. *One of the houses I looked at had a
> pig nut (synonym) tree, and I meant to get a few nuts. *I should
> have been speedier, because the tree got chopped down a couple of
> months ago.
>
> --
> Jean B.

One of our seasonal farm markets here has shelled (and unshelled)
hickory nuts every year. I'm sure you could find them online.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 22, 7:10*am, James Silverton > wrote:
> On 2/21/2012 10:49 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>

> > Nancy2 wrote:

> >> I can always buy macadamia nuts without shells in the baking aisle - I
> >> make cookies using those and white "chocolate" chips, instead of
> >> regular chocolate chips. Delicious, so I'm told. Naturally, I've
> >> never tried one.

> >> N.

> > Speaking of white chocolate and nuts, white chocolate goes well with
> > hazelnuts. A woman whom I used to work with brought some wc-h brownies
> > to work, and they were divine. (I am not much of a white chocolate fan
> > either.)

> > And I forgot. I'd REALLY like to have hickory nuts again. I used to sit
> > on my second parents' back steps, smashing them with a rock. They were
> > REALLY good. One of the houses I looked at had a pig nut (synonym) tree,
> > and I meant to get a few nuts. I should have been speedier, because the
> > tree got chopped down a couple of months ago.

> Just too much work for a small result. I leave them for the squirrels.
>
> --
> Jim Silverton
>
> Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

They really are a PITA to shell - I gathered some and shelled them for
my neighbor, whose husband wanted hickory nut cake, and my grandpa's
farm had hickory trees.....it took forever.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> On 2/21/2012 10:49 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>> Nancy2 wrote:

>>> I can always buy macadamia nuts without shells in the baking aisle - I
>>> make cookies using those and white "chocolate" chips, instead of
>>> regular chocolate chips. Delicious, so I'm told. Naturally, I've
>>> never tried one.
>>>
>>> N.

>> Speaking of white chocolate and nuts, white chocolate goes well with
>> hazelnuts. A woman whom I used to work with brought some wc-h brownies
>> to work, and they were divine. (I am not much of a white chocolate fan
>> either.)
>>
>> And I forgot. I'd REALLY like to have hickory nuts again. I used to sit
>> on my second parents' back steps, smashing them with a rock. They were
>> REALLY good. One of the houses I looked at had a pig nut (synonym) tree,
>> and I meant to get a few nuts. I should have been speedier, because the
>> tree got chopped down a couple of months ago.
>>

> Just too much work for a small result. I leave them for the squirrels.

Yes, I do recall that it was rather hard to pry the meat out,
which is probably why they aren't a huge commercial success. But
the meats are so sweet and good.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Feb 21, 9:49 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> Nancy2 wrote:
>>> I can always buy macadamia nuts without shells in the baking aisle - I
>>> make cookies using those and white "chocolate" chips, instead of
>>> regular chocolate chips. Delicious, so I'm told. Naturally, I've
>>> never tried one.
>>> N.

>> Speaking of white chocolate and nuts, white chocolate goes well
>> with hazelnuts. A woman whom I used to work with brought some
>> wc-h brownies to work, and they were divine. (I am not much of a
>> white chocolate fan either.)
>>
>> And I forgot. I'd REALLY like to have hickory nuts again. I used
>> to sit on my second parents' back steps, smashing them with a
>> rock. They were REALLY good. One of the houses I looked at had a
>> pig nut (synonym) tree, and I meant to get a few nuts. I should
>> have been speedier, because the tree got chopped down a couple of
>> months ago.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> One of our seasonal farm markets here has shelled (and unshelled)
> hickory nuts every year. I'm sure you could find them online.
>
> N.

Ohhhhhhh. Now if I bought stuff online... BUT maybe the nut
mecca has them. I will go look.

--
Jean B.

Member

Fried nuts

Its alaways been my favorite and i cant live without it
its my everything at all

_________________
Fishing Lodges Alaska
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 23, 10:35*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
> >> Speaking of white chocolate and nuts, white chocolate goes well
> >> with hazelnuts. *A woman whom I used to work with brought some
> >> wc-h brownies to work, and they were divine. *(I am not much of a
> >> white chocolate fan either.)

> >> And I forgot. *I'd REALLY like to have hickory nuts again. *I used
> >> to sit on my second parents' back steps, smashing them with a
> >> rock. *They were REALLY good. *One of the houses I looked at had a
> >> pig nut (synonym) tree, and I meant to get a few nuts. *I should
> >> have been speedier, because the tree got chopped down a couple of
> >> months ago.

> >> --
> >> Jean B.

> > One of our seasonal farm markets here has shelled (and unshelled)
> > hickory nuts every year. *I'm sure you could find them online.

> > N.

> Ohhhhhhh. *Now if I bought stuff online... *BUT maybe the nut
> mecca has them. *I will go look.

These folks have the best prices: http://www.nativenuts.com/

I really need to treat myself one of these days, but right now my
treat basket runneth over.

> --
> Jean B.

--Bryan