Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Billy[_9_] Billy[_9_] is offline

Default Favorite green type salads?

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
> >
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >>I ask this as I am forcing down a bowl of "American" salad. Now when I
> >>was a kid this was pretty much all we ever got. Except for the years when
> >>I had a garden and grew leaf lettuce. For those of you who don't know
> >>what this is, it is iceberg lettuce, shredded carrots and a small amount
> >>of shredded purple cabbage. Once in a while there will be a few red
> >>radish slices in it as well.
> >>
> >> I remember the first time I had butter lettuce at the Hunt Club. That
> >> was a restaurant I couldn't normally afford to dine at. But my friend
> >> was graduating from college and rather than throw a party, his parents
> >> too me and another friend out to dinner with them to this place. I was
> >> very uncomfortable during the meal, partly because I had to dress up (and
> >> I hate to do that) and partly because people kept hovering around us. I
> >> also remember having a pepper crusted steak which I really didn't like,
> >> being a vegetarian and all but at that point in time there were no
> >> vegetarian dishes on the menu. I think my friend had duck. They did
> >> have a guy who came around with a big pepper mill. I did like that.
> >>
> >> I like pretty much all of the salad greens except for when they are
> >> really bitter. Sometimes I will get a blend that has too much bitter
> >> stuff in it. I don't normally buy bagged salad for fear of food poisoning
> >> but this bag came from Costco and it was only $2.17. We've been eating
> >> salad all week from it. Tonight I put some green onions and some green
> >> pepper on it as well as some black olives. I intended to put walnuts but
> >> I forgot. The green pepper was an accident. The produce drawer was
> >> stuffed full but I insisted to Angela that I could fit the remaining
> >> three green onions in there. Well, I did but I smashed the green pepper.
> >> Which is why I ate it tonight.
> >>
> >> I also like tomatoes and celery on my salad. And I often put kidney,
> >> pinto or garbanzo beans on there. Cooked white beans are good too
> >> although I don't really like black beans on a salad too much. Unless it
> >> is really a Mexican type salad with like...corn and salsa. Then it's
> >> okay. I also like that baby corn but I only ever want two ears. So I
> >> never buy the stuff because nobody else will eat it and it always goes
> >> bad before I can finish it.
> >>
> >> So what are your favorite salad greens? Costco sells some baby lettuces
> >> that I love. But you have to buy so many in a package that we can never
> >> finish them. Actually Angela won't eat them. But I can get her to eat
> >> Romaine.
> >>

> > I like Romaine, iceberg, Boston, Baby Spinach Greens, I like tomatoes red
> > onions, celery, shredded carrots, English seedless cucumbers. If we are
> > having Italian I just like a bit of Romaine and Iceberg mixes with red
> > onions tomatoes, olives and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, add a bit of
> [...]

Of course, if you grow your own lettuce, then just a little vinegar,
olive oil, black pepper, mustard, garlic, and herb du jour (I like
oregano) is fine by itself. Garden lettuce at least has flavor. You
could do it in a window box. Add a couple of 5 gal. pots, one for a
Glacier tomato, and the other for a cucumber of choice (I like lemon),
and a couple of times a week you will have a salad that is second to
none.

--
Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>