Old 25-08-2011, 05:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Angela ate veggies and liked them.

We went out to eat tonight. It was another frustrating day. The contractor
was supposed to show up (once again) to do the driveway and put in a new
toilet for us. But once again he didn't. He says he will be here tomorrow.
Oh joy!

I had some errands that I needed to run. I was going to do this stuff
tomorrow but since we will be sitting at home waiting, I decided to do them
today. So I just decided we should go out to eat. Which was a good thing
because by the time we got Angela registered for dance and donated things to
the food bank it was late! We had a case of apple juice in cute little
apple shaped bottles and another case of baked beans. Since Angela can't
have those any more, we decided to donate them. I figured I could work
single cans or packages of things into our diet but we'd never be able to
eat that whole case of beans given their carb count. Must go through the
cupboards and look for more things but want to get the toilet and driveway
taken care of first.

Anyway... She chose a veggie omelet for dinner. I never would have thought
she would chose that. It had broccoli, onions, peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms
and spinach in there. And she ate it all with no complaints. Even said she
didn't mind the mushrooms and the tomatoes were okay with cheese on them.
Normally when it comes to tomatoes she acts like my dad does when
encountering an unfamiliar spice. As in picking through it with her fork,
being careful to get every last bit out and wishing she had tweezers. But I
saw her put them in her mouth and she ATE them!

I've never really liked mushrooms. I can eat them in things and they don't
really bother me but I would never go out of my way for them. I could never
understand those people who love stuffed mushrooms. Just not my style.

So I think her tastes are changing. We also found a big can of individually
wrapped beef jerky sticks at the grocery store that don't contain wheat.
And a container of cooked, shredded chicken. They will be carrying it from
now on in the bagged salad section. Angela loves shredded chicken.

Old 25-08-2011, 05:43 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

what great news, to answer your questions about the mushrooms, they are low
calorie and pick up the flavor of what they are stuffed with, easy to pick
up as in if they are stuffed and cooked correctly not sticky... i love most
mushrooms because of these two factors... alas, eat to many and the migraine
fairy visits me, Lee

Old 25-08-2011, 06:01 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
what great news, to answer your questions about the mushrooms, they are
low calorie and pick up the flavor of what they are stuffed with, easy to
pick up as in if they are stuffed and cooked correctly not sticky... i
love most mushrooms because of these two factors... alas, eat to many and
the migraine fairy visits me, Lee

I just find if they are raw they have no taste. And if they are cooked they
can get slimy.

Old 25-08-2011, 05:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

i admit, cooking stuffed mushrooms properly, to me is a very learned skill,
my grandmother had the best way to me, she used a bit larger mushroom,
removed stems, sprayed with oil or wiped with butter, broiled to set then
stuff and return to broiler, quick is the point, Lee

Old 25-08-2011, 07:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
what great news, to answer your questions about the mushrooms, they are
low calorie and pick up the flavor of what they are stuffed with, easy to
pick up as in if they are stuffed and cooked correctly not sticky... i
love most mushrooms because of these two factors... alas, eat to many and
the migraine fairy visits me, Lee

I just find if they are raw they have no taste. And if they are cooked
they can get slimy.

I love mushrooms in any form, cooked, raw, stuffed, sauteed...... the
flavor and the texture are wonderful, as far as I am concerned.

Evelyn

Old 25-08-2011, 07:50 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote in message

I love mushrooms in any form, cooked, raw, stuffed, sauteed...... the
flavor and the texture are wonderful, as far as I am concerned.

Evelyn

Me too.

Cheri

Old 25-08-2011, 08:40 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , "Julie Bove"
wrote:

I figured I could work
single cans or packages of things into our diet but we'd never be able to
eat that whole case of beans given their carb count.

what are your carb goals?
Old 26-08-2011, 12:44 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
what great news, to answer your questions about the mushrooms, they
are
low calorie and pick up the flavor of what they are stuffed with,
easy to
pick up as in if they are stuffed and cooked correctly not
sticky... i
love most mushrooms because of these two factors... alas, eat to
many and
the migraine fairy visits me, Lee

I just find if they are raw they have no taste. And if they are
cooked
they can get slimy.

I love mushrooms in any form, cooked, raw, stuffed, sauteed...... the

I'm with you The first experience I had with mushrooms were canned
ones in sauce, how vile! I believe Kate likes them though But I just
love them any which way. Mushroom soup, yum, raw dipped in things like
ranch, hommus, salsa etc.

Old 26-08-2011, 01:00 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
what great news, to answer your questions about the mushrooms, they
are
low calorie and pick up the flavor of what they are stuffed with, easy
pick up as in if they are stuffed and cooked correctly not sticky... i
love most mushrooms because of these two factors... alas, eat to many
and
the migraine fairy visits me, Lee

I just find if they are raw they have no taste. And if they are cooked
they can get slimy.

I love mushrooms in any form, cooked, raw, stuffed, sauteed...... the

I'm with you The first experience I had with mushrooms were canned ones
in sauce, how vile! I believe Kate likes them though But I just love
them any which way. Mushroom soup, yum, raw dipped in things like ranch,
hommus, salsa etc.

I don't think I ever had mushrooms as a child. We did have tuna casserole
with cream of miushroom soup. My brother would eat that but I don't think
he knew there were mushrooms in it. He hates mushrooms.

Old 26-08-2011, 01:34 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
[...]

I do remember mushroom soup being used in chicken dishes. As a young
married woman lots of recipes had mushroom soup in them Evil, lol.

Old 26-08-2011, 01:46 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:

: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Ozgirl" wrote in message
: I love mushrooms in any form, cooked, raw, stuffed, sauteed......
: the
:
: I'm with you The first experience I had with mushrooms were canned
: ones in sauce, how vile! I believe Kate likes them though But I
: just love them any which way. Mushroom soup, yum, raw dipped in
: things like ranch, hommus, salsa etc.
:
: I don't think I ever had mushrooms as a child. We did have tuna
: casserole with cream of miushroom soup. My brother would eat that but
: I don't think he knew there were mushrooms in it. He hates mushrooms.

: I do remember mushroom soup being used in chicken dishes. As a young
: married woman lots of recipes had mushroom soup in them Evil, lol.

Canned mushroom soup was the quick ad dirty cream sauce for all kinds of
dishes. A work saver for fast meals and for some dishes, thought of as
fancy as it had a sauce. Quick chicken a la kind, left over soup chicken
adn canned pimento cut up into cram of mushroom soup. Lots of others liek
this. If you look at community cook books form the 50's 60's and 70's
they are full of this kind of dish. tuna cassroe, shrimp cassarole,
chicken sstuffed crepes, etc all with that soup. Fortunately it went out
of fashion.

Wendy
Old 26-08-2011, 05:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Ozgirl wrote:

: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Ozgirl" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know about that! I still see a lot of recipes using it.

Old 26-08-2011, 04:08 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: : I do remember mushroom soup being used in chicken dishes. As a young
: : married woman lots of recipes had mushroom soup in them Evil, lol.
:
: Canned mushroom soup was the quick ad dirty cream sauce for all kinds of
: dishes. A work saver for fast meals and for some dishes, thought of as
: fancy as it had a sauce. Quick chicken a la kind, left over soup chicken
: adn canned pimento cut up into cram of mushroom soup. Lots of others liek
: this. If you look at community cook books form the 50's 60's and 70's
: they are full of this kind of dish. tuna cassroe, shrimp cassarole,
: chicken sstuffed crepes, etc all with that soup. Fortunately it went out
: of fashion.

: I don't know about that! I still see a lot of recipes using it.
Yes there are plenty of cookbooks tht actually recylce the old recipies
and ave not picke up on the more modern was of cooking,

Wendy

Old 26-08-2011, 07:19 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I miss eating ground beef and onions mixed with cream of mushroom soup over
rice or noodles..simple dish yet so yummy!

KROM

"W. Baker" wrote