Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Angela still loves the chicken!

I have been fixing big batches. So nice to see her smile and say that it is
the chicken she loves! And so easy! Just boneless, skinless breasts,
goodly amount of McCormick's Montreal Chicken Seasoning (Costco), a little
olive oil in the pan and 20 minutes on medium heat. Flip halfway through.
Husband likes chicken like this too so they've been having it at least twice
a week. All I have to do is vary the sides.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I have been fixing big batches. So nice to see her smile and say
> that it is the chicken she loves! And so easy! Just boneless,
> skinless breasts, goodly amount of McCormick's Montreal Chicken
> Seasoning (Costco), a little olive oil in the pan and 20 minutes on
> medium heat. Flip halfway through.

Replace that McCormick's seasoning with salamoia bolognese (salt, rosemary,
sage, ground black pepper) and that's exactly how I often do chicken
breasts. Since I slice them I just follow a shorter cooking time, but that's
it. When I serve them I almost always make sure that a lemon is on the
table, and my favorite side for this dish is a lettuce, tomato and green
onion salad with EVO oil, red wine vinegar and S&P.
Fits perfectly in a sandwich also, with lattuce and mayonnaise.

> Husband likes chicken like this
> too so they've been having it at least twice a week. All I have to
> do is vary the sides.

Good move
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in
:

> I have been fixing big batches. So nice to see her smile and say that
> it is the chicken she loves! And so easy! Just boneless, skinless
> breasts, goodly amount of McCormick's Montreal Chicken Seasoning
> (Costco), a little olive oil in the pan and 20 minutes on medium heat.
> Flip halfway through. Husband likes chicken like this too so they've
> been having it at least twice a week. All I have to do is vary the
> sides.

20 minutes??!!
That's either one HUGE chicken boobie, or you're way over cooking it.

--
Peter
Brisbane

Success isn't so difficult.
Just bite off more than you can chew,
then go do it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I have been fixing big batches. So nice to see her smile and say that it
>is the chicken she loves! And so easy! Just boneless, skinless breasts,
>goodly amount of McCormick's Montreal Chicken Seasoning (Costco), a little
>olive oil in the pan and 20 minutes on medium heat. Flip halfway through.
>Husband likes chicken like this too so they've been having it at least
>twice a week. All I have to do is vary the sides.

Enjoy it while it lasts. The response that is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 10:51:30 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>I have been fixing big batches. So nice to see her smile and say that it
>>is the chicken she loves! And so easy! Just boneless, skinless breasts,
>>goodly amount of McCormick's Montreal Chicken Seasoning (Costco), a little
>>olive oil in the pan and 20 minutes on medium heat. Flip halfway through.
>>Husband likes chicken like this too so they've been having it at least
>>twice a week. All I have to do is vary the sides.

>Enjoy it while it lasts. The response that is.

I was thinking that, as well. You can only eat something twice a week
for so long, then it gets realllly old.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"I'm back" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in
> :
>
>> I have been fixing big batches. So nice to see her smile and say that
>> it is the chicken she loves! And so easy! Just boneless, skinless
>> breasts, goodly amount of McCormick's Montreal Chicken Seasoning
>> (Costco), a little olive oil in the pan and 20 minutes on medium heat.
>> Flip halfway through. Husband likes chicken like this too so they've
>> been having it at least twice a week. All I have to do is vary the
>> sides.
>>

> 20 minutes??!!
> That's either one HUGE chicken boobie, or you're way over cooking it.

They are pretty big.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 10:51:30 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>I have been fixing big batches. So nice to see her smile and say that it
>>>is the chicken she loves! And so easy! Just boneless, skinless breasts,
>>>goodly amount of McCormick's Montreal Chicken Seasoning (Costco), a
>>>little
>>>olive oil in the pan and 20 minutes on medium heat. Flip halfway
>>>through.
>>>Husband likes chicken like this too so they've been having it at least
>>>twice a week. All I have to do is vary the sides.

>>Enjoy it while it lasts. The response that is.

> I was thinking that, as well. You can only eat something twice a week
> for so long, then it gets realllly old.

Wrong! I eat the same things all the time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm back wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in
> :
>
> > I have been fixing big batches. So nice to see her smile and say that
> > it is the chicken she loves! And so easy! Just boneless, skinless
> > breasts, goodly amount of McCormick's Montreal Chicken Seasoning
> > (Costco), a little olive oil in the pan and 20 minutes on medium heat.
> > Flip halfway through. Husband likes chicken like this too so they've
> > been having it at least twice a week. All I have to do is vary the
> > sides.
> >

> 20 minutes??!!
> That's either one HUGE chicken boobie, or you're way over cooking it.

I was actually thinking the same thing. A boneless, skinless chicken breast
should cook well enough in ten minutes total (5 minutes per side). If you
time it all right, they are moist and have a very nice subtle flavor without
any spice added.

G.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> I'm back wrote:
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > I have been fixing big batches. So nice to see her smile and say that
>> > it is the chicken she loves! And so easy! Just boneless, skinless
>> > breasts, goodly amount of McCormick's Montreal Chicken Seasoning
>> > (Costco), a little olive oil in the pan and 20 minutes on medium heat.
>> > Flip halfway through. Husband likes chicken like this too so they've
>> > been having it at least twice a week. All I have to do is vary the
>> > sides.
>> >

>> 20 minutes??!!
>> That's either one HUGE chicken boobie, or you're way over cooking it.

> I was actually thinking the same thing. A boneless, skinless chicken
> breast
> should cook well enough in ten minutes total (5 minutes per side). If you
> time it all right, they are moist and have a very nice subtle flavor
> without
> any spice added.

These would have been totally raw inside at 10 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 15, 2013 9:47:26 AM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 01:10:28 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>

> > I have been fixing big batches. So nice to see her smile and say that it is

> > the chicken she loves! And so easy! Just boneless, skinless breasts,

> > goodly amount of McCormick's Montreal Chicken Seasoning (Costco), a little

> > olive oil in the pan and 20 minutes on medium heat. Flip halfway through.

> > Husband likes chicken like this too so they've been having it at least twice

> > a week. All I have to do is vary the sides.

> She's old enough that she should be cooking it. Then she can
>
> appreciate it even more.
>

> -sw

As if she would listen to the advice of a "single" and, apt to ever be
character, like you. Or do you have a secret family stashed away
somewhere? Ahahahahahahahahaha.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Gary" wrote:
> > I was actually thinking the same thing. A boneless, skinless chicken
> > breast
> > should cook well enough in ten minutes total (5 minutes per side). If you
> > time it all right, they are moist and have a very nice subtle flavor
> > without any spice added.

> These would have been totally raw inside at 10 minutes.

I tend to disagree with you. A boneless, skinless breast should cook just
fine and completely in a 10-minute timeframe. Maybe a tiny bit longer but
certainly not 20 minutes. :-O

However, if your daughter and husband are liking what you serve, your method
is a true winner and you should stick with it. It just sounds like a bit of
overkill to me. :-\

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 16:27:39 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> However if Julie is truly cooking them at medium heat, maybe it does
> take longer. But I still don't think it should take 20 minutes: that
> gives a really dry chicken breast, which has lost all it's tenderness.
> I don't like them that way, but maybe Julie's family does. Or maybe
> they don't know better..

Stoves cook differently. Without cooking on hers, you don't really
know how hot her medium heat really is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Gary" wrote:
>> > I was actually thinking the same thing. A boneless, skinless chicken
>> > breast
>> > should cook well enough in ten minutes total (5 minutes per side). If
>> > you
>> > time it all right, they are moist and have a very nice subtle flavor
>> > without any spice added.

>> These would have been totally raw inside at 10 minutes.

> I tend to disagree with you. A boneless, skinless breast should cook just
> fine and completely in a 10-minute timeframe. Maybe a tiny bit longer but
> certainly not 20 minutes. :-O

I believe someone here said 20 minutes when I asked. Or it might have been
the diabetes food newsgroup. At any rate, these were perfectly cooked at 20
minutes. Husband even commented on how good the chicken was.

> However, if your daughter and husband are liking what you serve, your
> method
> is a true winner and you should stick with it. It just sounds like a bit
> of
> overkill to me. :-\

Yes. Was hoping to serve them the chicken for the next few nights but it's
all gone now. That's how much they liked it.

I did ask about the cook time because my mom always said to cook it for at
least a half an hour. I did and they hated it! No wonder! It was very
dried out. My mom's meat was very dried out too. She said she was afraid
she would undercook it so that was the end result.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 18:06:05 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>

>>I tend to disagree with you. A boneless, skinless breast should cook just
>>fine and completely in a 10-minute timeframe. Maybe a tiny bit longer but
>>certainly not 20 minutes. :-O

> I was delightfully surprised when I discovered that cooking boneless
> chicken breasts for a shorter length of time produced a really juicy,
> tender chicken breast. I make sure these days, that I only cook it
> til it is just barely past being raw in the middle. That takes about
> 10 minutes, on higher heat.
>
> However if Julie is truly cooking them at medium heat, maybe it does
> take longer. But I still don't think it should take 20 minutes: that
> gives a really dry chicken breast, which has lost all it's tenderness.
> I don't like them that way, but maybe Julie's family does. Or maybe
> they don't know better..

Yes. The pan that I am using can not be used past medium heat. These did
not seem dry at all and were very tender. They were also quite large and
plump.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/15/2013 5:44 PM, Roy wrote:
> On Monday, July 15, 2013 9:47:26 AM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 01:10:28 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>>> I have been fixing big batches. So nice to see her smile and say that it is

>>> the chicken she loves! And so easy! Just boneless, skinless breasts,

>>> goodly amount of McCormick's Montreal Chicken Seasoning (Costco), a little

>>> olive oil in the pan and 20 minutes on medium heat. Flip halfway through.

>>> Husband likes chicken like this too so they've been having it at least twice

>>> a week. All I have to do is vary the sides.

>> She's old enough that she should be cooking it. Then she can
>>
>> appreciate it even more.
>>

>> -sw

> As if she would listen to the advice of a "single" and, apt to ever be
> character, like you. Or do you have a secret family stashed away
> somewhere? Ahahahahahahahahaha.

This is actually the perfect age for Angela to be cooking. I know she
already is doing some of it.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/15/2013 6:27 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:
> But

I still don't think it should take 20 minutes: that
> gives a really dry chicken breast, which has lost all it's tenderness.
> I don't like them that way, but maybe Julie's family does. Or maybe
> they don't know better..

I made a big mistake cooking a chicken breast (bone in) in the oven
along with 4 drumsticks for much longer than the white meat needed. I
like to cook dark meat longer. But the breast was very overcooked and I
ended up making chicken salad out of it. It's still marinating in the
mayo to make it edible.

The drumsticks were excellent though.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
b.com...
> This is actually the perfect age for Angela to be cooking. I know she
> already is doing some of it.

She can cook. She just doesn't like to. Of course I know at times we all
have to do things we don't like or want to do. But I'm all for people doing
what they like to do when they can. I like to cook. She likes to mop the
floor and run the vac.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 00:28:36 -0400, Cheryl wrote:
>
>> On 7/15/2013 5:44 PM, Roy wrote:
>>
>>> As if she would listen to the advice of a "single" and, apt to ever be
>>> character, like you. Or do you have a secret family stashed away
>>> somewhere? Ahahahahahahahahaha.

>> This is actually the perfect age for Angela to be cooking. I know she
>> already is doing some of it.

> Killfiled Roy is beating around the bush trying to ask me if I'm
> single so he can ask me out?
>
> I'm married AND have a girlfriend. You're AOL, Roy.

Wha???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 19:42:56 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Yes. Was hoping to serve them the chicken for the next few nights but it's
> all gone now. That's how much they liked it.
>
> I did ask about the cook time because my mom always said to cook it for at
> least a half an hour. I did and they hated it! No wonder! It was very
> dried out. My mom's meat was very dried out too. She said she was afraid
> she would undercook it so that was the end result.

Julie, like someone said previously - it can get old fast. I'm all
for giving them what they like, but can you come up with other recipes
that use your cooked chicken meat that make it seem like a new dish?
I serve chicken at least twice a week, but I don't prepare it the same
way and we feel like we're eating something different - not the same
ole, same ole.

I obviously do not know what your family likes, but I found a Butter
Chicken simmer sauce somewhere... Cost Plus World Market, Lucky,
Safeway - not sure where I bought it. The only effort it requires is
for you to cut the chicken into chunks. Hubby was so in love with it
that he keeps reminding me how much he liked it. I haven't noticed it
lately, which makes me think I must not have bought it at Safeway
because that's where I shop for groceries most.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 21:44:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
> b.com...
> > This is actually the perfect age for Angela to be cooking. I know she
> > already is doing some of it.

> She can cook. She just doesn't like to.

Buy simmer sauces for her to use. Cut up some meat, make a starch (or
not, steam some vegetables and dinner is done. I don't buy very many
simmer sauces, but my experience has been very good so far.

> Of course I know at times we all
> have to do things we don't like or want to do. But I'm all for people doing
> what they like to do when they can. I like to cook. She likes to mop the
> floor and run the vac.

Hey, if someone is willing to clean... I'd have NO problem with
cooking. Call it a trade off! Well, actually that's the way it is at
my house. Hubby cleans (I HATE cleaning bathrooms), I cook and both
of us think we got the better part of the deal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 21:45:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> >> This is actually the perfect age for Angela to be cooking. I know she
> >> already is doing some of it.

> > Killfiled Roy is beating around the bush trying to ask me if I'm
> > single so he can ask me out?
> >
> > I'm married AND have a girlfriend. You're AOL, Roy.

> Wha???

Heh, if that's the truth (which I doubt because he's probably living
off his mother, in her house) - then he's outing yet another sleazy
side of himself and now you can call him an all around douchbag.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 15, 2013 10:45:05 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> >> This is actually the perfect age for Angela to be cooking. I know she

> >> already is doing some of it.

> > Killfiled Roy is beating around the bush trying to ask me if I'm

> > single so he can ask me out?

> > I'm married AND have a girlfriend. You're AOL, Roy.

> Wha???

Squertz is just being his usual goofy self...pay no attention to him.
He has me "kill-filed" but often replies when it suits him to be nasty
and uncouth. He can't help it...probably brought up as a spoiled brat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 15, 2013 11:47:02 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 21:45:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>
> > wrote:

> > > Killfiled Roy is beating around the bush trying to ask me if I'm

> > > single so he can ask me out?

> > > I'm married AND have a girlfriend. You're AOL, Roy.

> > Wha???

> Heh, if that's the truth (which I doubt because he's probably living
>
> off his mother, in her house) - then he's outing yet another sleazy
>
> side of himself and now you can call him an all around douchbag.
>
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

Hey SF, be nice...I'm a Senior and a widow. I have always regarded you as a classy lady...don't make me change my opinion of you now.

===

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 19:42:56 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> Yes. Was hoping to serve them the chicken for the next few nights but
>> it's
>> all gone now. That's how much they liked it.
>>
>> I did ask about the cook time because my mom always said to cook it for
>> at
>> least a half an hour. I did and they hated it! No wonder! It was very
>> dried out. My mom's meat was very dried out too. She said she was
>> afraid
>> she would undercook it so that was the end result.
>>

> Julie, like someone said previously - it can get old fast. I'm all
> for giving them what they like, but can you come up with other recipes
> that use your cooked chicken meat that make it seem like a new dish?
> I serve chicken at least twice a week, but I don't prepare it the same
> way and we feel like we're eating something different - not the same
> ole, same ole.

They don't like the chicken in stuff. They just like it with a side dish.

> I obviously do not know what your family likes, but I found a Butter
> Chicken simmer sauce somewhere... Cost Plus World Market, Lucky,
> Safeway - not sure where I bought it. The only effort it requires is
> for you to cut the chicken into chunks. Hubby was so in love with it
> that he keeps reminding me how much he liked it. I haven't noticed it
> lately, which makes me think I must not have bought it at Safeway
> because that's where I shop for groceries most.

They do not like sauces of any kind. Just plain or plainish meat. This
obviously isn't quite plain as it has seasoning. Any time I have tried any
kind of a sauce is when they don't like the finished dish. One exception
was chicken Vesuvio but... Only with the wine in it. Angela refused to eat
it again with wine in it. I made it without the wine and it wasn't good.

Husband does not seem to get tired of things. I have said this before but
his family eats eggs and peppers every day for lunch. Every single day! As
in extended family. Go to any house around lunch time and that's what
you'll get. His mom would sometimes make it for dinner. Their lunch would
vary but almost always sandwiches because they own a business. MIL would
take a basket of sandwiches there every day.

Husband can eat sandwiches and pizza every day. The only sandwiches he
doesn't seem to like very much are those without meat. Or salad sandwiches.
Every once in a while I can sneak in egg salad, chicken salad, etc. But he
does not like them. Nor does he like grilled cheese but if I put meat on
it, he'll eat it. He'll also eat almost any kind of pizza. If I just leave
pizza, sandwiches and fruit in the fridge, he is set.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 21:44:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>>
>> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> b.com...
>> > This is actually the perfect age for Angela to be cooking. I know she
>> > already is doing some of it.

>> She can cook. She just doesn't like to.

> Buy simmer sauces for her to use. Cut up some meat, make a starch (or
> not, steam some vegetables and dinner is done. I don't buy very many
> simmer sauces, but my experience has been very good so far.

As I said, nobody in this family likes sauces. I can't speak for those two
but I grew up eating plain food. To this day, my parents won't eat sauce.
They will order foods with sauce on the side and might eat a bite or two or
no sauce at all.

>> Of course I know at times we all
>> have to do things we don't like or want to do. But I'm all for people
>> doing
>> what they like to do when they can. I like to cook. She likes to mop
>> the
>> floor and run the vac.
>>

> Hey, if someone is willing to clean... I'd have NO problem with
> cooking. Call it a trade off! Well, actually that's the way it is at
> my house. Hubby cleans (I HATE cleaning bathrooms), I cook and both
> of us think we got the better part of the deal.

Yeah. I'm not into cleaning. Had to do too much of it as a child. My
jobs were weeding, cleaning the bathroom, washing dishes, dusting and
sometimes other things. My mom always mopped the floor because she was
picky about it. She also had me run the vac but I got caught. I had tied
her jumprope onto it. I then sat in the fireplace, shoved it out and reeled
it back in. So I got relieved of that job. Then I mowed the "F" word into
the front yard. Never had to mow again! Not there anyway...

I don't mind cleaning the bathroom here. Don't really like it but also
don't mind.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 21:45:05 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Killfiled Roy is beating around the bush trying to ask me if I'm
>>> single so he can ask me out?
>>>
>>> I'm married AND have a girlfriend. You're AOL, Roy.

>> Wha???

> I've mentioned this here several times.

Okay. Guess I wasn't paying attention then. I thought you were single.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 23:16:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Husband does not seem to get tired of things. I have said this before but
> his family eats eggs and peppers every day for lunch. Every single day!

I can relate to that, because my family was like that too... you could
name the day of the week by what you ate and my mother's parents had
the same breakfast and same lunch daily and you could name the day of
the week by what you were eating.. Call me a rebel, because I rarely
make the same thing twice - it's served again if we totally LOVE it
and I'm feeling absolutely uninspired.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 23:07:35 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
wrote:

> Hey SF, be nice...I'm a Senior and a widow. I have always regarded you as a classy lady...don't make me change my opinion of you now.

Sorry 'bout dat... I guess you haven't clued into the ongoing dislike
I have for him. I'll quit for tonight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 22:59:35 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
wrote:

> Squertz is

<snip>
>...probably brought up as a spoiled brat.

Glad someone else sees it too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 23:20:55 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> >> Wha???

> > I've mentioned this here several times.

> Okay. Guess I wasn't paying attention then. I thought you were single.

A playah, he is NOT. You have to be one charming hunk a hunk o'
burning love to attract the chicks (especially in Austin (an area
filled with college aged and 30 something techie hipsters) when you're
a fat, middle aged man, who is stuck bussing it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 23:16:57 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> Husband does not seem to get tired of things. I have said this before
>> but
>> his family eats eggs and peppers every day for lunch. Every single day!

> I can relate to that, because my family was like that too... you could
> name the day of the week by what you ate and my mother's parents had
> the same breakfast and same lunch daily and you could name the day of
> the week by what you were eating.. Call me a rebel, because I rarely
> make the same thing twice - it's served again if we totally LOVE it
> and I'm feeling absolutely uninspired.

We did fall into that rut for a while. Although I didn't make things by the
day of the week, I did have the same few limited meals that we could all
eat. Mostly in the crockpot. Lots of stew. And then there was that one
winter that I made soup so many times that Angela screamed, "I don't want
anything soupy!" To this day she won't willingly eat soup.

Things changed further for me when I developed more food intolerances.
Since I can no longer eat chicken or tuna, that knocked a lot of stuff off
of my menu. So now I just resign myself to making different meals for all
of us. Once in a while, I just put my foot down and tell Angela that she
will be eating something she doesn't like. Like the Spanish rice that I
made the other night. Really I think I am the only one who does like that.
Husband will eat it but I don't think it or anything with rice is his
favorite.

I can usually come up with something that the two of them will eat. All I
have to do is cook up a bag of dried beans or open a can of beans or bean
soup and maybe have this with tortillas and/or some other veggies. I
seriously could eat beans every day but I do try to get some meat twice a
week.

Angela goes through phases and this can be annoying. She will eat something
day after day until I finally find it by the case or in bulk somewhere for
cheap and then she goes off of it. First it was sunflower butter and apple
slices. Then she switched to applesauce. Then it was cottage cheese and
pears. Now she is back to the sunflower butter and apple slices.

I sort of do that too but I will eat something for a year or three and then
grow sick of it. Beans are the exception. There are few beans or bean
dishes I do not like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 23:20:55 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>> > I've mentioned this here several times.

>> Okay. Guess I wasn't paying attention then. I thought you were single.
>>

> A playah, he is NOT. You have to be one charming hunk a hunk o'
> burning love to attract the chicks (especially in Austin (an area
> filled with college aged and 30 something techie hipsters) when you're
> a fat, middle aged man, who is stuck bussing it.

I don't know about that. Had an elderly friend (assume he is deceased now,
was in his 80's and senile last I heard)in Austin who really fancied himself
as a ladies man. Oh the stories he told me! Of course he may well have
been lying. I have not been in TX since I was a kid and I don't think I was
ever in Austin.

He is the one who sent me a $500 bullet polisher. That's when I knew that
his senility had really kicked in. Angela and I were doing lapidary at the
time. He thought I could use the polisher to do rocks. Apparently there is
some guy in Austin who does that. And I could see doing it maybe if you
already had the polisher and didn't want to invest in a rock polisher but...
I already had a rock polisher and there was no way I was going to polish
that amount of anything in my garage in my little apartment in Alameda.
Thankfully the company that he had it shipped from did refund most of his
money. They did have a $50 restocking fee. I had no clue that he was going
to do that! He had mentioned the guy that he knew who did this and then the
next thing I knew, this big heavy box arrived. Eek!

Last time I heard from him, we were out doing Christmas shopping and I was
on my way home. He called my cell phone. I said I was driving and would
call him back as soon as I got home. That was about 5 minutes later. By
then he had forgotten who I was. I did mail him seasonal cards after that
and I assumed that if he were no longer with us, his son would have
contacted me, but he didn't and really I didn't check the obituaries.
Perhaps I should.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh snap! Just checked. He died in April. He was 86.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy wrote:

> Squertz is just being his usual goofy self...pay no attention to him.
> He has me "kill-filed" but often replies when it suits him to be nasty
> and uncouth. He can't help it...

I've never seen him answering to you recently, so: do you have any reference
on that one, or are you just talking out of your ass?
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
> b.com...
>> This is actually the perfect age for Angela to be cooking. I know she
>> already is doing some of it.

> She can cook. She just doesn't like to. Of course I know at times we all
> have to do things we don't like or want to do. But I'm all for people
> doing what they like to do when they can. I like to cook. She likes to
> mop the floor and run the vac.

Sounds a good trade off to me)

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Squertz is just being his usual goofy self...pay no attention to
>>> him. He has me "kill-filed" but often replies when it suits him to
>>> be nasty and uncouth. He can't help it...

>> I've never seen him answering to you recently, so: do you have any
>> reference on that one, or are you just talking out of your ass?

> Actually, I did have my killfile turned off on the weekend while I was
> looking for George Middus's posts (another killfile member) and
> accidentally responded to one of Roy's posts (to call him a dumbass,
> of course). I have to throw my kooks a bone every once in while,
> after all. Otherwise they may give up and go away.
>
> But it's the ONLY one in at least three years.

Probably "one post in three years" is our guy's definition of "often"
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> "Janet" > wrote in message
> t...
> > In article >,
says...

In this same thread you wrote about your repetitive cooking:

"And then there was that one
winter that I made soup so many times that Angela screamed, "I don't
want anything soupy!" To this day she won't willingly eat soup.

Janet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 00:22:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Beans are the exception. There are few beans or bean
> dishes I do not like.

I love beans and would like to see some ways that you make them. I
doubt that you use real recipes and just add this & that, I'm just
looking for ideas. I, like most people, tend to think down my own
pathway. Sometimes it's a 5 lane freeway instead of a narrow path,
but it's still going in the same old direction. There are times when
I discover a new route, like those fish patties... but that isn't very
often. For instance, I resurrected a failed lemon risotto last night
and the result was good enough that I may try it again with rice that
isn't beyond rehabilitation.