Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Finally! Teriyaki for Angela!

I've been stressing out over dinner this week. Angela is in a dance camp.
She has to pack a lunch to eat there. When the camp ends (it's a day camp)
we have 2 1/2 hours off until we have to go back again for her lessons.
Actually the lessons are only for three of those days. But they don't end
till 8. So that means a late dinner on those nights.

After this week she has the lessons only. We will have to decide if we want
to eat an early dinner before the lessons begin, or just wait to eat after
they are over. I'm thinking the latter.

I needed to come up with some quick to fix meals for her. My meals can be
easy. I am perfectly happy to have canned vegetables, maybe some cottage
cheese, a cooked hamburger patty out of the freezer, some tuna with lemon
juice and olive oil or even a salad. But Angela is picky.

First I took her to the meat department. She selected a package of chicken
drumsticks. I wasn't really sure how to fix them, but I bought them anyway.
She was going to have these with a single serve package of microwaveable
French fries, but...

I went to the health food store. They have a ton of new gluten free items.
I bought several, including a new rice and pea protein based cheese for me.
But the biggest surprise was the soy free soy sauce! It's made of coconut
and it fizzes when you open it. Says to refrigerate it stop the fizzing.

I found a recipe for teriyaki sauce online and made a small batch of it.
Did the chicken in the oven. It said to cook the chicken for an hour but at
40 minutes when I checked it, it was falling off the bone. So I took it
out. It smells just like the stuff we used to get in restaurants. I hope
she likes it. There should be enough for dinner tomorrow for her as well.

I had no idea how much sugar was in teriyaki sauce! I guess it's no wonder
I don't like it. Has anyone tried using an artificial sweetener to make it?
Perhaps it wouldn't have the right texture or thickness without.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> I had no idea how much sugar was in teriyaki sauce! I guess it's no wonder
> I don't like it. Has anyone tried using an artificial sweetener to make it?
> Perhaps it wouldn't have the right texture or thickness without.

I use Splenda in a teriyaki-inspired sauce all the time. (I say
teriyaki-inspired, because I just wing it with oil, soy sauce, ground
ginger, garlic powder, and sweetener, and I'm sure I've lost some
authenticity along the way!)

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>

>> I had no idea how much sugar was in teriyaki sauce! I guess it's no
>> wonder
>> I don't like it. Has anyone tried using an artificial sweetener to make
>> it?
>> Perhaps it wouldn't have the right texture or thickness without.

> I use Splenda in a teriyaki-inspired sauce all the time. (I say
> teriyaki-inspired, because I just wing it with oil, soy sauce, ground
> ginger, garlic powder, and sweetener, and I'm sure I've lost some
> authenticity along the way!)

Hmmm... This recipe didn't call for any oil. I did use the other things
but also cornstarch and cider vinegar.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

it is thinn
er but tastes just fine, Lee"Julie Bove" > wrote in
message ...