Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Angela doesn't want to eat in school.

We still haven't sorted out the ins and outs of the South Beach diet just
yet. She only has 2 more days of school this week but... She has decided
that she just won't eat in school. That is not acceptable on this diet or
really for any reason, IMO.

She and I are not at all alike in that she very much cares what other people
think of/about her. I never did. But I think she fears that others will
make fun of her food. They did do so when she was younger and I sent in
leftovers for her lunch. But it was difficult when she was on the gluten
free diet. Because gluten free bread really needs to be heated it some way
to keep it from crumbling. She insisted for a long time that she take only
sandwiches. And then she discovered the Teff wraps so she ate those.

But this year? She has been taking very little to school. Pretty much only
a snack. And that just won't do any more. She also doesn't want to eat
breakfast. Mostly this year if she ate anything at all it was a serving of
baby carrots. She just said she wasn't hungry and didn't want to eat. But
she has to now because she has to take the Welchol in the morning and it has
to be taken with school. AFAIK she doesn't have high cholesterol which is
what the Welchol is for and frankly I have extreme reservations about
putting her on it but... The gastroenterologist said she *has* to be on the
Metformin so he is hoping this will stop the diarrhea.

I still have to read the book but it looks like for the first week she has
to eat protein and low carb veggies and beans. I suggested a cup of hummus
and baby carrots with a piece of beef jerky for her lunch. She doesn't want
to do this because the food gets warm by lunch time. And she doesn't want
to take an ice pack. Apparently the kids would make fun of an ice pack.

She is also refusing to buy lunch. Not that the lunch they offer would fit
in with this diet but perhaps at least on some days there would be parts of
the lunch she could eat. But... She says the kids who buy lunch have to
wait so long in line that there is no time to eat.

The Atkins and South Beach bars are things she would like to eat but out of
the question given her food intolerances and the thyroid problem. She can't
have nuts, coconut or soy and they contain one or more of those things.

Can anyone think of something she could eat that would look like normal
food? I am thinking the ice pack is just going to have to be a given. Gah!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> We still haven't sorted out the ins and outs of the South Beach diet just
> yet. She only has 2 more days of school this week but... She has decided
> that she just won't eat in school. That is not acceptable on this diet or
> really for any reason, IMO.
>
> She and I are not at all alike in that she very much cares what other people
> think of/about her. I never did. But I think she fears that others will
> make fun of her food. They did do so when she was younger and I sent in
> leftovers for her lunch. But it was difficult when she was on the gluten
> free diet. Because gluten free bread really needs to be heated it some way
> to keep it from crumbling. She insisted for a long time that she take only
> sandwiches. And then she discovered the Teff wraps so she ate those.
>
> But this year? She has been taking very little to school. Pretty much only
> a snack. And that just won't do any more. She also doesn't want to eat
> breakfast. Mostly this year if she ate anything at all it was a serving of
> baby carrots. She just said she wasn't hungry and didn't want to eat. But
> she has to now because she has to take the Welchol in the morning and it has
> to be taken with school. AFAIK she doesn't have high cholesterol which is
> what the Welchol is for and frankly I have extreme reservations about
> putting her on it but... The gastroenterologist said she *has* to be on the
> Metformin so he is hoping this will stop the diarrhea.
>
> I still have to read the book but it looks like for the first week she has
> to eat protein and low carb veggies and beans. I suggested a cup of hummus
> and baby carrots with a piece of beef jerky for her lunch. She doesn't want
> to do this because the food gets warm by lunch time. And she doesn't want
> to take an ice pack. Apparently the kids would make fun of an ice pack.

Just how warm could the food get? supercool it first? or get an ice pack that is
disguised as a sandwich? or so what?

> She is also refusing to buy lunch. Not that the lunch they offer would fit
> in with this diet but perhaps at least on some days there would be parts of
> the lunch she could eat. But... She says the kids who buy lunch have to
> wait so long in line that there is no time to eat.
>
> The Atkins and South Beach bars are things she would like to eat but out of
> the question given her food intolerances and the thyroid problem. She can't
> have nuts, coconut or soy and they contain one or more of those things.
>
> Can anyone think of something she could eat that would look like normal
> food? I am thinking the ice pack is just going to have to be a given. Gah!

evolution in action

--

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras lobortis volutpat
commodo. Morbi lobortis, massa fringilla adipiscing suscipit, velit urna