Old 16-03-2011, 01:49 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Tonight's dinner

Nachos. Why? Well... Angela had a dance convention this past weekend. It
was very tiring for the both of us and now she has a mystery injury. I
can't help but wonder if the strained back muscle, the planter fascitiis and
now this strange foot numbness are connected. I wound up taking her to the
hospital on Sunday night because after googling, she feared it was diabetes
or MS. Yes, foot numbness was a first symptom that I had, but it was on the
bottoms of my feet and toes. Hers is on the top of one foot and it has
spread to the ankle. And now the foot is clearly swollen. The hospital
said to just treat it like a sprain. She isn't limping and she says she
can't feel it unless she touches it. Which is how she first discovered it.
But I digress...

As we left the dance convention on Sunday I told her for dinner I could
either call Garlic Jim's for a gluten free pizza or I could pick up the
ingredients for nachos at Costco where unfortunately we had to stop. But
seeing as how we had gone to the Showcase (dance show) the prior Sunday, we
were low on food because we didn't do our usual shopping. She opted for the
nachos. And as you probably know, Costco sells mainly huge things. So now
I have 2.5 pounds of Mexican blend shredded cheese and a bag of tortilla
chips the size of a bed pillow. Or close to it. We'll be eating nachos at
least once a week until it is all gone! Heh.

I had the nachos on Sunday and my BG was very good after. Alas I couldn't
make them the way I really wanted them as I had no fresh tomatoes or green
onions in the house. I counted out the amount of chips. Luckily the bag
gives a serving size in chips and not ounces as some brands do. I used a
specific amount of refried beans (I did have those in the house), the cheese
and then after they were heated in the microwave I added black olives and
Mrs. Renfro's hot salsa. And when she says hot she means it! They were to
the point of almost being inedible to me but I was super hungry. I have
since gotten some tomatoes, green onions and sour cream for Angela. I
bought the salsa for my husband but so far he has only eaten a serving. He
loves it. It's just waaaay too hot for me. I think I do have a jar of
medium or mild salsa in the cupboard but I didn't want another open jar at
the moment. I also have some shredded lettuce. Perhaps I will dump some of
that on too. That's the way they make nachos in the Pubs on Cape Cod.

Hopefully I can make the nachos before the power goes out. If it does
indeed go out. We've had horrid weather today. High winds, rain, super
heavy rain, lightning and thunder, then the worst hail I have ever seen and
heard. While I was still reeling from that, it got suddenly so quiet that
you could hear a pin drop. And then about 30 seconds to a minute later the
sky opened up and just dumped white everywhere. More hail. I was looking
out the kitchen window. Seriously the air was solid hail. It was soooo
loud and scary. The gutters and downspouts instantly filled with hail. So
when it turned to heavy rain it was just waterfalling off the roof because
there was no open space to contain it. Looks like there is a lot of paint
missing off the house now from the battering. The news said we have had
more rain so far this month (we're only halfway through) than we get on
average in the whole month of March. And there is no end in site. Flooding
everywhere. I even got water in the garage. Not a lot but that's pretty
bad considering that my driveway is pretty flat.

Anyway... What are you having for dinner?

Old 16-03-2011, 01:56 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

A can of Lindsay Green Olives, packed in water and sea salt. I love those
things. Also, some Swiss cheese. Sorry about your mess, hope it's better
tomorrow.

Cheri

Old 16-03-2011, 02:34 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

I haven't had those olives. Will have to look for them. Still have a
serving or two left of the Costco sized stuffed green olives and then I will
move on to the Italian ones with pits.

Old 16-03-2011, 02:53 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

We are having a sort of chilli con carne. Planned to have it over corn
chips but I woke to empty bags. So I guess I will buy more. Last night
we planned to have roasted chicken legs but my ex and his partner
brought over pizzas as a late birthday for me, lol. I wasn't complaining
as I have been fighting and losing a headache battle for days and hated
the thought of cooking.

Old 16-03-2011, 03:03 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
We are having a sort of chilli con carne. Planned to have it over corn
chips but I woke to empty bags. So I guess I will buy more. Last night
we planned to have roasted chicken legs but my ex and his partner brought
over pizzas as a late birthday for me, lol. I wasn't complaining as I have
been fighting and losing a headache battle for days and hated the thought
of cooking.

Oh no! You've been hit by the chip bandit as well! He seems to come in
here quite frequently.

I LOVE chili! Alas Angela and my husband don't really like it. So I quit
making it. Have to make do with what I can get in a restaurant or from a
can.

Old 16-03-2011, 03:10 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
We are having a sort of chilli con carne. Planned to have it over
corn chips but I woke to empty bags. So I guess I will buy more.
Last night we planned to have roasted chicken legs but my ex and his
partner brought over pizzas as a late birthday for me, lol. I wasn't
complaining as I have been fighting and losing a headache battle for
days and hated the thought of cooking.

Oh no! You've been hit by the chip bandit as well! He seems to come
in here quite frequently.

Well one son was still up when I went to bed, earlier than usual because
of the headache. My other son gets home about 3 am and there was a pizza
in the fridge for him for his "dinner". But he eats over and above what
I leave out for him for dinner. SO its either one or the other or both
that got into the chipees

I LOVE chili! Alas Angela and my husband don't really like it. So I
quit making it. Have to make do with what I can get in a restaurant
or from a can.

I don't think this will be too hot as the beans are canned with chilli
already added. I usually make my own by rinsing a large can of beans and
adding it to the meat with the chilli flavouring etc. So it remains to
be seen what the verdict will be. Canned beans, tomatoes and baked beans
(for one son) are almost the only canned stuff I buy. Sometimes I buy
canned fruit in water as one son likes that occasionally.

Old 16-03-2011, 03:15 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
And I really dislike salads without dressing. I only have to have a
little. Sometimes just some vinegar and olive oil sprayed on is enough.

I can't stand dressing. If I put anything at all on a salad it will be
lemon juice, salsa, salt and pepper. But not all at once.

Old 16-03-2011, 06:28 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
could yo share the mustard vinegret, i want to give it to a friend who
will be cooking for her diabetic friend this week, Lee

Here's a good one from Ina Garten, simple and very tasty.

Ingredients
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup good olive oil

Directions
In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, garlic, vinegar, 1 teaspoon
salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. While whisking, slowly add the olive oil
until the vinaigrette is emulsified.

Old 16-03-2011, 06:38 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
could yo share the mustard vinegret, i want to give it to a friend
who will be cooking for her diabetic friend this week, Lee

Here's a good one from Ina Garten, simple and very tasty.

Ingredients
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup good olive oil

Directions
In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, garlic, vinegar, 1
teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. While whisking, slowly add the
olive oil until the vinaigrette is emulsified.

When I add garlic I make it a day or two before I want to have it. But
the mustard is best added at serving time IMO. So that would mean (for
me) pouring some of the shaken dressing into a cup and adding the
mustard.

Old 16-03-2011, 10:22 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 16/03/2011 12:10 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

I don't think this will be too hot as the beans are canned with chilli
already added. I usually make my own by rinsing a large can of beans and
adding it to the meat with the chilli flavouring etc. So it remains to
be seen what the verdict will be. Canned beans, tomatoes and baked beans
(for one son) are almost the only canned stuff I buy. Sometimes I buy
canned fruit in water as one son likes that occasionally.

Wot no beetroot no salad is complete with slices of beetroot :-)

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia

Old 16-03-2011, 10:44 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" wrote in message
On 16/03/2011 12:10 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

I don't think this will be too hot as the beans are canned with chilli
already added. I usually make my own by rinsing a large can of beans and
adding it to the meat with the chilli flavouring etc. So it remains to
be seen what the verdict will be. Canned beans, tomatoes and baked beans
(for one son) are almost the only canned stuff I buy. Sometimes I buy
canned fruit in water as one son likes that occasionally.

Wot no beetroot no salad is complete with slices of beetroot :-)

Maybe she uses fresh? I'm the only one in this house that will eat beets.

Old 16-03-2011, 03:05 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" wrote in message
On 16/03/2011 12:10 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

I don't think this will be too hot as the beans are canned with
chilli
already added. I usually make my own by rinsing a large can of beans
and
adding it to the meat with the chilli flavouring etc. So it remains
be seen what the verdict will be. Canned beans, tomatoes and baked
beans
(for one son) are almost the only canned stuff I buy. Sometimes I buy
canned fruit in water as one son likes that occasionally.

Wot no beetroot no salad is complete with slices of beetroot :-)

Oh I forgot that, yes I buy canned beetroot from time to time. Kids like
it on hamburgers. Its not an every week purchase though.

Old 16-03-2011, 03:07 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"RodS" wrote in message
On 16/03/2011 12:10 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

I don't think this will be too hot as the beans are canned with
chilli
already added. I usually make my own by rinsing a large can of beans
and
adding it to the meat with the chilli flavouring etc. So it remains
be seen what the verdict will be. Canned beans, tomatoes and baked
beans
(for one son) are almost the only canned stuff I buy. Sometimes I
buy
canned fruit in water as one son likes that occasionally.

Wot no beetroot no salad is complete with slices of beetroot :-)

Maybe she uses fresh? I'm the only one in this house that will eat
beets.

Too much fiddling around. My first MIL always made hers and it had a
wonderful taste. I like my beetroot best when it has never been
refrigerated so I always eat a couple of slices as soon as I open the
can and before it reaches the fridge. I also love grated raw beetroot
with grated carrot over a mixed greens salad.

Old 16-03-2011, 08:50 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"RodS" wrote in message
On 16/03/2011 12:10 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

I don't think this will be too hot as the beans are canned with chilli
already added. I usually make my own by rinsing a large can of beans and
adding it to the meat with the chilli flavouring etc. So it remains to
be seen what the verdict will be. Canned beans, tomatoes and baked beans
(for one son) are almost the only canned stuff I buy. Sometimes I buy
canned fruit in water as one son likes that occasionally.

Wot no beetroot no salad is complete with slices of beetroot :-)

Maybe she uses fresh? I'm the only one in this house that will eat beets.

I do truly HATE beets...and sweet potatoes.

Cheri