Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Tonight's dinner

Ozgirl > wrote:

: "RodS" > wrote in message
: ...
: > On 17/03/2011 10:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

: >> My mom always made the canned ones, mashed with marshmallows on the
: >> top. I
: >> always thought I hated them because of the marshmallows.
: >
: > Never seen canned sweet potato, never put marshmallow on a vegetable
: > either, WHY would anyone put marshmallow on vegetables ? I must have
: > led a sheltered life :-) Baked with butter and pinch of cinnamon
: > sugar, nothing nicer.

: Bought KFC for the kids tonight and they now have sweet potato fries.
: Everyone but me was buying them.
: Might be tempted to try them one day.. I can't imagine canned sweet
: potato. As to the marshmallows, I'll have to keep imagining it Did
: someone one day just say, oh what the heck, I am putting marshmallows on
: my sweet potato?

The marshmallow dish is a cassaarole of mashed sweet potatoes, often
sweetened with brown sugar and/or pineapple juice, which is topped with
teh marshmallows adn baked. This is often a holiday dish, like for
thansgiving. Very sweet, as you can see. Not oneof y favorites even in
pre-diabetes days, but very popular as the holidays dish, like pumpkin
pie. My moher used to not use the marshmallows, but put slices of
pineapple on top.

Another holiday dish popular in the USA is that string bean cassarole made
with cream of mushroom soup and ccanned french fried onions. As our
thanksgiving meal alwasy had meat(turkey) we never even tried this dish,
but it never filled me with confidence as a gourmet treat:-) I think it
is thought of as a fancy vegetable tht is not difficult to make,
paratiularly if you use frozen string beans, which is the only kind many
peole know, evcept for those soggy canned ones. I know Julie was raised
on them, but I never could stand them.
to each hir own.

Wendy