FoodBanter.com

-   -   Tonight's dinner (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/405746-tonights-dinner.html)

Julie Bove[_2_] 16-03-2011 01:49 AM

Tonight's dinner

Nachos. Why? Well... Angela had a dance convention this past weekend. It
was very tiring for the both of us and now she has a mystery injury. I
can't help but wonder if the strained back muscle, the planter fascitiis and
now this strange foot numbness are connected. I wound up taking her to the
hospital on Sunday night because after googling, she feared it was diabetes
or MS. Yes, foot numbness was a first symptom that I had, but it was on the
bottoms of my feet and toes. Hers is on the top of one foot and it has
spread to the ankle. And now the foot is clearly swollen. The hospital
said to just treat it like a sprain. She isn't limping and she says she
can't feel it unless she touches it. Which is how she first discovered it.
But I digress...

As we left the dance convention on Sunday I told her for dinner I could
either call Garlic Jim's for a gluten free pizza or I could pick up the
ingredients for nachos at Costco where unfortunately we had to stop. But
seeing as how we had gone to the Showcase (dance show) the prior Sunday, we
were low on food because we didn't do our usual shopping. She opted for the
nachos. And as you probably know, Costco sells mainly huge things. So now
I have 2.5 pounds of Mexican blend shredded cheese and a bag of tortilla
chips the size of a bed pillow. Or close to it. We'll be eating nachos at
least once a week until it is all gone! Heh.

I had the nachos on Sunday and my BG was very good after. Alas I couldn't
make them the way I really wanted them as I had no fresh tomatoes or green
onions in the house. I counted out the amount of chips. Luckily the bag
gives a serving size in chips and not ounces as some brands do. I used a
specific amount of refried beans (I did have those in the house), the cheese
and then after they were heated in the microwave I added black olives and
Mrs. Renfro's hot salsa. And when she says hot she means it! They were to
the point of almost being inedible to me but I was super hungry. I have
since gotten some tomatoes, green onions and sour cream for Angela. I
bought the salsa for my husband but so far he has only eaten a serving. He
loves it. It's just waaaay too hot for me. I think I do have a jar of
medium or mild salsa in the cupboard but I didn't want another open jar at
the moment. I also have some shredded lettuce. Perhaps I will dump some of
that on too. That's the way they make nachos in the Pubs on Cape Cod.

Hopefully I can make the nachos before the power goes out. If it does
indeed go out. We've had horrid weather today. High winds, rain, super
heavy rain, lightning and thunder, then the worst hail I have ever seen and
heard. While I was still reeling from that, it got suddenly so quiet that
you could hear a pin drop. And then about 30 seconds to a minute later the
sky opened up and just dumped white everywhere. More hail. I was looking
out the kitchen window. Seriously the air was solid hail. It was soooo
loud and scary. The gutters and downspouts instantly filled with hail. So
when it turned to heavy rain it was just waterfalling off the roof because
there was no open space to contain it. Looks like there is a lot of paint
missing off the house now from the battering. The news said we have had
more rain so far this month (we're only halfway through) than we get on
average in the whole month of March. And there is no end in site. Flooding
everywhere. I even got water in the garage. Not a lot but that's pretty
bad considering that my driveway is pretty flat.

Anyway... What are you having for dinner?

Cheri[_3_] 16-03-2011 01:56 AM

Tonight's dinner

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> [...]
> that you could hear a pin drop. And then about 30 seconds to a minute
> later the sky opened up and just dumped white everywhere. More hail. I
> was looking out the kitchen window. Seriously the air was solid hail. It
> was soooo loud and scary. The gutters and downspouts instantly filled
> with hail. So when it turned to heavy rain it was just waterfalling off
> the roof because there was no open space to contain it. Looks like there
> is a lot of paint missing off the house now from the battering. The news
> said we have had more rain so far this month (we're only halfway through)
> than we get on average in the whole month of March. And there is no end
> in site. Flooding everywhere. I even got water in the garage. Not a lot
> but that's pretty bad considering that my driveway is pretty flat.
>
> Anyway... What are you having for dinner?

A can of Lindsay Green Olives, packed in water and sea salt. I love those
things. Also, some Swiss cheese. Sorry about your mess, hope it's better
tomorrow.

Cheri

Julie Bove[_2_] 16-03-2011 02:34 AM

Tonight's dinner

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> [...]
>> was looking out the kitchen window. Seriously the air was solid hail.
>> It was soooo loud and scary. The gutters and downspouts instantly filled
>> with hail. So when it turned to heavy rain it was just waterfalling off
>> the roof because there was no open space to contain it. Looks like there
>> is a lot of paint missing off the house now from the battering. The news
>> said we have had more rain so far this month (we're only halfway through)
>> than we get on average in the whole month of March. And there is no end
>> in site. Flooding everywhere. I even got water in the garage. Not a
>> lot but that's pretty bad considering that my driveway is pretty flat.
>>
>> Anyway... What are you having for dinner?

> A can of Lindsay Green Olives, packed in water and sea salt. I love those
> things. Also, some Swiss cheese. Sorry about your mess, hope it's better

I haven't had those olives. Will have to look for them. Still have a
serving or two left of the Costco sized stuffed green olives and then I will
move on to the Italian ones with pits.

Ozgirl 16-03-2011 02:53 AM

Tonight's dinner

We are having a sort of chilli con carne. Planned to have it over corn
chips but I woke to empty bags. So I guess I will buy more. Last night
we planned to have roasted chicken legs but my ex and his partner
brought over pizzas as a late birthday for me, lol. I wasn't complaining
as I have been fighting and losing a headache battle for days and hated
the thought of cooking.

Julie Bove[_2_] 16-03-2011 03:03 AM

Tonight's dinner

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> We are having a sort of chilli con carne. Planned to have it over corn
> chips but I woke to empty bags. So I guess I will buy more. Last night
> we planned to have roasted chicken legs but my ex and his partner brought
> over pizzas as a late birthday for me, lol. I wasn't complaining as I have
> been fighting and losing a headache battle for days and hated the thought
> of cooking.

Oh no! You've been hit by the chip bandit as well! He seems to come in
here quite frequently.

I LOVE chili! Alas Angela and my husband don't really like it. So I quit
making it. Have to make do with what I can get in a restaurant or from a
can.

Ozgirl 16-03-2011 03:10 AM

Tonight's dinner

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> We are having a sort of chilli con carne. Planned to have it over
>> corn chips but I woke to empty bags. So I guess I will buy more.
>> Last night we planned to have roasted chicken legs but my ex and his
>> partner brought over pizzas as a late birthday for me, lol. I wasn't
>> complaining as I have been fighting and losing a headache battle for
>> days and hated the thought of cooking.

> Oh no! You've been hit by the chip bandit as well! He seems to come
> in here quite frequently.

Well one son was still up when I went to bed, earlier than usual because
of the headache. My other son gets home about 3 am and there was a pizza
in the fridge for him for his "dinner". But he eats over and above what
I leave out for him for dinner. SO its either one or the other or both
that got into the chipees :)

> I LOVE chili! Alas Angela and my husband don't really like it. So I
> quit making it. Have to make do with what I can get in a restaurant
> or from a can.

I don't think this will be too hot as the beans are canned with chilli
already added. I usually make my own by rinsing a large can of beans and
adding it to the meat with the chilli flavouring etc. So it remains to
be seen what the verdict will be. Canned beans, tomatoes and baked beans
(for one son) are almost the only canned stuff I buy. Sometimes I buy
canned fruit in water as one son likes that occasionally.

Julie Bove[_2_] 16-03-2011 03:15 AM

Tonight's dinner

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> And I really dislike salads without dressing. I only have to have a
> little. Sometimes just some vinegar and olive oil sprayed on is enough.

I can't stand dressing. If I put anything at all on a salad it will be
lemon juice, salsa, salt and pepper. But not all at once.

Cheri[_3_] 16-03-2011 06:28 AM

Tonight's dinner

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> could yo share the mustard vinegret, i want to give it to a friend who
> will be cooking for her diabetic friend this week, Lee

Here's a good one from Ina Garten, simple and very tasty.

Ingredients
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup good olive oil

Directions
In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, garlic, vinegar, 1 teaspoon
salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. While whisking, slowly add the olive oil
until the vinaigrette is emulsified.

Ozgirl 16-03-2011 06:38 AM

Tonight's dinner

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> could yo share the mustard vinegret, i want to give it to a friend
>> who will be cooking for her diabetic friend this week, Lee

> Here's a good one from Ina Garten, simple and very tasty.
>

> Ingredients
> 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
> 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
> 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
> Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
> 1/2 cup good olive oil
>
> Directions
> In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, garlic, vinegar, 1
> teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. While whisking, slowly add the
> olive oil until the vinaigrette is emulsified.

When I add garlic I make it a day or two before I want to have it. But
the mustard is best added at serving time IMO. So that would mean (for
me) pouring some of the shaken dressing into a cup and adding the
mustard.

RodS 16-03-2011 10:22 AM

Tonight's dinner

On 16/03/2011 12:10 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> I don't think this will be too hot as the beans are canned with chilli
> already added. I usually make my own by rinsing a large can of beans and
> adding it to the meat with the chilli flavouring etc. So it remains to
> be seen what the verdict will be. Canned beans, tomatoes and baked beans
> (for one son) are almost the only canned stuff I buy. Sometimes I buy
> canned fruit in water as one son likes that occasionally.

Wot no beetroot no salad is complete with slices of beetroot :-)

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia

Julie Bove[_2_] 16-03-2011 10:44 AM

Tonight's dinner

"RodS" > wrote in message
> On 16/03/2011 12:10 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>
>> I don't think this will be too hot as the beans are canned with chilli
>> already added. I usually make my own by rinsing a large can of beans and
>> adding it to the meat with the chilli flavouring etc. So it remains to
>> be seen what the verdict will be. Canned beans, tomatoes and baked beans
>> (for one son) are almost the only canned stuff I buy. Sometimes I buy
>> canned fruit in water as one son likes that occasionally.

> Wot no beetroot no salad is complete with slices of beetroot :-)

Maybe she uses fresh? I'm the only one in this house that will eat beets.

Storrmmee 16-03-2011 02:11 PM

Tonight's dinner

thanks, this will help a lot, Lee

Ozgirl 16-03-2011 03:05 PM

Tonight's dinner

"RodS" > wrote in message
> On 16/03/2011 12:10 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>
>> I don't think this will be too hot as the beans are canned with
>> chilli
>> already added. I usually make my own by rinsing a large can of beans
>> and
>> adding it to the meat with the chilli flavouring etc. So it remains
>> be seen what the verdict will be. Canned beans, tomatoes and baked
>> beans
>> (for one son) are almost the only canned stuff I buy. Sometimes I buy
>> canned fruit in water as one son likes that occasionally.

> Wot no beetroot no salad is complete with slices of beetroot :-)

Oh I forgot that, yes I buy canned beetroot from time to time. Kids like
it on hamburgers. Its not an every week purchase though.

Ozgirl 16-03-2011 03:07 PM

Tonight's dinner

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "RodS" > wrote in message
>> On 16/03/2011 12:10 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think this will be too hot as the beans are canned with
>>> chilli
>>> already added. I usually make my own by rinsing a large can of beans
>>> and
>>> adding it to the meat with the chilli flavouring etc. So it remains
>>> be seen what the verdict will be. Canned beans, tomatoes and baked
>>> beans
>>> (for one son) are almost the only canned stuff I buy. Sometimes I
>>> buy
>>> canned fruit in water as one son likes that occasionally.

>> Wot no beetroot no salad is complete with slices of beetroot :-)

> Maybe she uses fresh? I'm the only one in this house that will eat
> beets.

Too much fiddling around. My first MIL always made hers and it had a
wonderful taste. I like my beetroot best when it has never been
refrigerated so I always eat a couple of slices as soon as I open the
can and before it reaches the fridge. I also love grated raw beetroot
with grated carrot over a mixed greens salad.

Cheri[_3_] 16-03-2011 08:50 PM

Tonight's dinner

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "RodS" > wrote in message
>> On 16/03/2011 12:10 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think this will be too hot as the beans are canned with chilli
>>> already added. I usually make my own by rinsing a large can of beans and
>>> adding it to the meat with the chilli flavouring etc. So it remains to
>>> be seen what the verdict will be. Canned beans, tomatoes and baked beans
>>> (for one son) are almost the only canned stuff I buy. Sometimes I buy
>>> canned fruit in water as one son likes that occasionally.

>> Wot no beetroot no salad is complete with slices of beetroot :-)

> Maybe she uses fresh? I'm the only one in this house that will eat beets.

I do truly HATE beets...and sweet potatoes.

Cheri

Julie Bove[_2_] 16-03-2011 10:34 PM

Tonight's dinner

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Wot no beetroot no salad is complete with slices of beetroot :-)

>> Maybe she uses fresh? I'm the only one in this house that will eat
>> beets.

> I do truly HATE beets...and sweet potatoes.

I love beets but hate sweet potatoes.

Ozgirl 16-03-2011 11:35 PM

Tonight's dinner

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Wot no beetroot no salad is complete with slices of beetroot :-)

>> Maybe she uses fresh? I'm the only one in this house that will eat
>> beets.

> I do truly HATE beets...and sweet potatoes.
>
> Cheri

Oh Cheri how could you! :) Nothing better than a baked sweet potato with
butter, cinnamon and dash of sugar.

Cheri[_3_] 17-03-2011 12:55 AM

Tonight's dinner

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> soda bread recipe? you can email as i am sure it doesn't fit low carb, or
> diabetic, Lee

It's really simple and delicious. It's not low carb, but I won't be eating
any of it, so will just go ahead and post it...it gets really crusty on the
outside, and dense and moist on the inside.

4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 to 1 1/2 cups buttermilk

Cooking Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Sift the flour, soda and salt
together into a deep mixing bowl. Gradually add 1 cup of buttermilk, mixing
with
a large spoon until the dough is firm enough to be gathered into a large
ball.
If the dough crumbles, add some more of the buttermilk, a tablespoon at a
time,
until the particles adhere.

Place the dough on a lightly floured board, and pat and shape it into a flat
circular loaf about 8 inches in diameter and 1 1/2 inches thick. Set the
loaf on
a floured baking sheet. With the tip of a small knife, cut a 1/2 inch deep
cross
into the dough, dividing the top of the loaf into quarters.

Bake the bread in the middle of the oven for about 45 minutes, or until the
top
is golden brown. Remove from the oven and wrap in a clean cloth and let cool
on
a wire rack for about 20 minutes.

Cheri[_3_] 17-03-2011 12:57 AM

Tonight's dinner

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> Maybe she uses fresh? I'm the only one in this house that will eat
>>> beets.

>> I do truly HATE beets...and sweet potatoes.
>>
>> Cheri

> Oh Cheri how could you! :) Nothing better than a baked sweet potato with
> butter, cinnamon and dash of sugar.

I make them for my dh, and it almost gags me...but, to each their own.

Cheri

Ozgirl 17-03-2011 01:32 AM

Tonight's dinner

SO soda bread and sourdough bread are one and the same?

W. Baker 17-03-2011 01:46 AM

Tonight's dinner

Ozgirl > wrote:
: SO soda bread and sourdough bread are one and the same?

No. sourdough uses a yeast that is kept alive in a flour/water mixture
from baking to baking. It has a sour flavor, hence the name. soda bred
uses the combo of baking powder and the bacteria in buttermilk to raise
it.

Wendy

: "Cheri" > wrote in message
: ...
: >
: > ...

Alice Faber 17-03-2011 01:46 AM

Tonight's dinner

Nope. Soda bread has baking soda as its leavening agent. Sourdough has
natural yeasts, usually saved in "starter" form, as its leavening agent.
Taste and texture both differ.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

Julie Bove[_2_] 17-03-2011 01:58 AM

Tonight's dinner

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> Maybe she uses fresh? I'm the only one in this house that will eat
>>> beets.

>> I do truly HATE beets...and sweet potatoes.
>>
>> Cheri

> Oh Cheri how could you! :) Nothing better than a baked sweet potato with
> butter, cinnamon and dash of sugar.

*Runs to bathroom to puke*

My mom always made the canned ones, mashed with marshmallows on the top. I
always thought I hated them because of the marshmallows.

Then as an adult, I used to listen to Talknet. No longer on the air. But I
heard Sally Jesse Raphael describing a baked sweet potato. She made it
sound sooo good! She only put butter on hers. I tried it. Hated it!

Then some years after that, my SIL's mom went overboard on a dinner for me
because I was a vegetarian. She must have put out at least 12 kinds of
veggies including sweet potatoes. To be polite, I tried a piece and I liked
it! So I asked her how she made it. She showed me the can. Straight from
the can and heated.

When I got home, I remembered the name, bought some and hated them. Tried
them again some years later when Angela was little. Everyone hated them.

Angela does like sweet potato fries. I can eat maybe 2 or 3 of those. They
don't gag me. But I also would never seek them out.

Julie Bove[_2_] 17-03-2011 02:01 AM

Tonight's dinner

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message

>>> I do truly HATE beets...and sweet potatoes.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Oh Cheri how could you! :) Nothing better than a baked sweet potato with
>> butter, cinnamon and dash of sugar.

> I make them for my dh, and it almost gags me...but, to each their own.

Luckily my husband doesn't like them. He does however love broccoli and
asparagus which do gag me to cook. He gets each one about twice a year,
made by me. Luckily Central Market does grilled veggies and sometimes they
have a mix of carrots, zucchini and asparagus. I get those and some very
expensive wild salmon and maybe some cooked rice or potatoes for him. Makes
a nice meal that I don't have to cook. At the same time I usually get
Angela some lamb kebobs.

Julie Bove[_2_] 17-03-2011 02:01 AM

Tonight's dinner

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> SO soda bread and sourdough bread are one and the same?

I always thought soda bread was a quick bread with raisins in it. I know I
made it once but it was many years ago.

Cheri[_3_] 17-03-2011 05:58 AM

Tonight's dinner

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> SO soda bread and sourdough bread are one and the same?

> I always thought soda bread was a quick bread with raisins in it. I know
> I made it once but it was many years ago.

There are different kinds I believe. The cook where I worked years ago put
in raisins and sugar or honey, can't remember for sure, but I don't really
care for the sweet in it at all. My dinner turned out really good, and of
everything...the soda bread was hard to leave alone. Friends loved it. :-)

Cheri

Cheri[_3_] 17-03-2011 05:59 AM

Tonight's dinner

No, I've never made sourdough, but I know it has yeast.

Cheri

Storrmmee 17-03-2011 10:48 AM

Tonight's dinner

thanks, Lee

Storrmmee 17-03-2011 10:50 AM

Tonight's dinner

glad it worked out so well, Lee

RodS 17-03-2011 11:50 AM

Tonight's dinner

On 17/03/2011 8:36 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

> I might make Irish stew. Nah, lamb is like petrol these days, need to
> take out a loan to buy them :)

Tell me about it $1.50 a litre today, good thing I didn't want to go
anywhere :-)

--
(- -)
=m=(_)=m=

Ozgirl 17-03-2011 11:56 AM

Tonight's dinner

"RodS" > wrote in message
> On 17/03/2011 8:36 AM, Ozgirl wrote:
>

>> I might make Irish stew. Nah, lamb is like petrol these days, need to
>> take out a loan to buy them :)

> Tell me about it $1.50 a litre today, good thing I didn't want to go
> anywhere :-)

I go pretty much to the high school twice a day and the shops once a
week or so at the moment.

RodS 17-03-2011 12:01 PM

Tonight's dinner

On 17/03/2011 10:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>>

>> > wrote in message

>>> I do truly HATE beets...and sweet potatoes.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Oh Cheri how could you! :) Nothing better than a baked sweet potato with
>> butter, cinnamon and dash of sugar.

> *Runs to bathroom to puke*
>
> My mom always made the canned ones, mashed with marshmallows on the top. I
> always thought I hated them because of the marshmallows.

Never seen canned sweet potato, never put marshmallow on a vegetable
either, WHY would anyone put marshmallow on vegetables ? I must have led
a sheltered life :-) Baked with butter and pinch of cinnamon sugar,
nothing nicer.

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia

Ozgirl 17-03-2011 12:41 PM

Tonight's dinner

"RodS" > wrote in message
> On 17/03/2011 10:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>> My mom always made the canned ones, mashed with marshmallows on the
>> top. I
>> always thought I hated them because of the marshmallows.

> Never seen canned sweet potato, never put marshmallow on a vegetable
> either, WHY would anyone put marshmallow on vegetables ? I must have
> led a sheltered life :-) Baked with butter and pinch of cinnamon
> sugar, nothing nicer.

Bought KFC for the kids tonight and they now have sweet potato fries.
Everyone but me was buying them.
Might be tempted to try them one day.. I can't imagine canned sweet
potato. As to the marshmallows, I'll have to keep imagining it :) Did
someone one day just say, oh what the heck, I am putting marshmallows on
my sweet potato? :)

Julie Bove[_2_] 17-03-2011 02:52 PM

Tonight's dinner

"RodS" > wrote in message

>>> Oh Cheri how could you! :) Nothing better than a baked sweet potato with
>>> butter, cinnamon and dash of sugar.

>> *Runs to bathroom to puke*
>>
>> My mom always made the canned ones, mashed with marshmallows on the top.
>> always thought I hated them because of the marshmallows.

> Never seen canned sweet potato, never put marshmallow on a vegetable
> either, WHY would anyone put marshmallow on vegetables ? I must have led a
> sheltered life :-) Baked with butter and pinch of cinnamon sugar, nothing
> nicer.

That's how my grandma made them. Apparently it is a common thing to do
because my friend says she does them that way too.

Ozgirl 17-03-2011 03:02 PM

Tonight's dinner

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> *Runs to bathroom to puke*
>>>
>>> My mom always made the canned ones, mashed with marshmallows on the
>>> top. I
>>> always thought I hated them because of the marshmallows.

>> Never seen canned sweet potato, never put marshmallow on a vegetable
>> either, WHY would anyone put marshmallow on vegetables ? I must have
>> led a sheltered life :-) Baked with butter and pinch of cinnamon
>> sugar, nothing nicer.
>>

> That's how my grandma made them. Apparently it is a common thing to
> do because my friend says she does them that way too.

There is very little sugar in cinnamon sugar compared to cinnamon. And I
don't put much on. Lucky if 1/8 teaspoon is sugar. But we didn't invent
this. It became popular here after the introduction of American style
steakhouses.

W. Baker 17-03-2011 03:05 PM

Tonight's dinner

Ozgirl > wrote:

: "RodS" > wrote in message
: ...
: > On 17/03/2011 10:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

: >> My mom always made the canned ones, mashed with marshmallows on the
: >> top. I
: >> always thought I hated them because of the marshmallows.
: >
: > Never seen canned sweet potato, never put marshmallow on a vegetable
: > either, WHY would anyone put marshmallow on vegetables ? I must have
: > led a sheltered life :-) Baked with butter and pinch of cinnamon
: > sugar, nothing nicer.

: Bought KFC for the kids tonight and they now have sweet potato fries.
: Everyone but me was buying them.
: Might be tempted to try them one day.. I can't imagine canned sweet
: potato. As to the marshmallows, I'll have to keep imagining it :) Did
: someone one day just say, oh what the heck, I am putting marshmallows on
: my sweet potato? :)

The marshmallow dish is a cassaarole of mashed sweet potatoes, often
sweetened with brown sugar and/or pineapple juice, which is topped with
teh marshmallows adn baked. This is often a holiday dish, like for
thansgiving. Very sweet, as you can see. Not oneof y favorites even in
pre-diabetes days, but very popular as the holidays dish, like pumpkin
pie. My moher used to not use the marshmallows, but put slices of
pineapple on top.

Another holiday dish popular in the USA is that string bean cassarole made
with cream of mushroom soup and ccanned french fried onions. As our
thanksgiving meal alwasy had meat(turkey) we never even tried this dish,
but it never filled me with confidence as a gourmet treat:-) I think it
is thought of as a fancy vegetable tht is not difficult to make,
paratiularly if you use frozen string beans, which is the only kind many
peole know, evcept for those soggy canned ones. I know Julie was raised
on them, but I never could stand them.
to each hir own.

Wendy

Cheri[_3_] 17-03-2011 04:48 PM

Tonight's dinner

"RodS" > wrote in message

>>> Oh Cheri how could you! :) Nothing better than a baked sweet potato with
>>> butter, cinnamon and dash of sugar.

>> *Runs to bathroom to puke*
>>
>> My mom always made the canned ones, mashed with marshmallows on the top.
>> always thought I hated them because of the marshmallows.

> Never seen canned sweet potato, never put marshmallow on a vegetable
> either, WHY would anyone put marshmallow on vegetables ? I must have led a
> sheltered life :-) Baked with butter and pinch of cinnamon sugar, nothing
> nicer.

Maybe it's more of a US thing. When I was a kid, my mom made that sweet
potato casserole with marshmallows browned on top every time she made a ham
or a turkey, and all holidays. Errrrrrrk. She also used to stick those whole
cloves all over hams, with the pineapple slices and marachino cherries in
the pineapple holes. I could handle the pineapple/cherries, but not the
cloves stuck in. Another huge Errrrrrrk.

Cheri

Julie Bove[_2_] 17-03-2011 10:14 PM

Tonight's dinner

Ozgirl wrote:

> There is very little sugar in cinnamon sugar compared to cinnamon.
> And I don't put much on. Lucky if 1/8 teaspoon is sugar. But we
> didn't invent this. It became popular here after the introduction of
> American style steakhouses.

That's weird because our steakhouses don't serve sweet potatoes at all.
They serve French fries, steak fries and baked potatoes.

We also have Outback Steakhouse, purportedly an Austrailian style place with
Bloomin' Onions. This is an onion cut to look like a flower, battered and
deep fried. Quite nasty and greasy it is.

Ozgirl 17-03-2011 10:47 PM

Tonight's dinner

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl > wrote:
>

> : "RodS" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > On 17/03/2011 10:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> : >> My mom always made the canned ones, mashed with marshmallows on
> the
> : >> top. I
> : >> always thought I hated them because of the marshmallows.
> : >
> : > Never seen canned sweet potato, never put marshmallow on a
> vegetable
> : > either, WHY would anyone put marshmallow on vegetables ? I must
> have
> : > led a sheltered life :-) Baked with butter and pinch of cinnamon
> : > sugar, nothing nicer.
>
> : Bought KFC for the kids tonight and they now have sweet potato
> fries.
> : Everyone but me was buying them.
> : Might be tempted to try them one day.. I can't imagine canned sweet
> : potato. As to the marshmallows, I'll have to keep imagining it :)
> Did
> : someone one day just say, oh what the heck, I am putting
> marshmallows on
> : my sweet potato? :)
>
> The marshmallow dish is a cassaarole of mashed sweet potatoes, often
> sweetened with brown sugar and/or pineapple juice, which is topped
> with
> teh marshmallows adn baked. This is often a holiday dish, like for
> thansgiving. Very sweet, as you can see. Not oneof y favorites even
> in
> pre-diabetes days, but very popular as the holidays dish, like pumpkin
> pie. My moher used to not use the marshmallows, but put slices of
> pineapple on top.
>
> Another holiday dish popular in the USA is that string bean cassarole
> made
> with cream of mushroom soup and ccanned french fried onions. As our
> thanksgiving meal alwasy had meat(turkey) we never even tried this
> dish,
> but it never filled me with confidence as a gourmet treat:-) I think
> it
> is thought of as a fancy vegetable tht is not difficult to make,
> paratiularly if you use frozen string beans, which is the only kind
> many
> peole know, evcept for those soggy canned ones. I know Julie was
> raised
> on them, but I never could stand them.
> to each hir own.
>
> Wendy

Canned onions? Wow, is there nothing you can't buy in a can there? :) As
a child the only veggie other than potato that I would eat was canned
peas ;) I would eat them from the can lol. Although I do recall I ate
some raw peas sometimes as I was helping my mother shell them. I spread
my wings a bit when I started eating tomato sandwiches in my younger
teens, but they had to be very ripe, with lots of salt and on the bread
at least a couple of hours. It wasn't until I started WW in my early
20's (after putting on weight after marrying at 17 and having two kids)
that I started to eat lots of veggies. It was that or starve. Now, I
can't imagine not having veggies, I even prefer them over anything else.

RodS 17-03-2011 10:49 PM

Tonight's dinner

On 18/03/2011 12:05 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> > wrote:
>

> : > wrote in message
> : ...
> :> On 17/03/2011 10:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> :>> My mom always made the canned ones, mashed with marshmallows on the
> :>> top. I
> :>> always thought I hated them because of the marshmallows.
> :>
> :> Never seen canned sweet potato, never put marshmallow on a vegetable
> :> either, WHY would anyone put marshmallow on vegetables ? I must have
> :> led a sheltered life :-) Baked with butter and pinch of cinnamon
> :> sugar, nothing nicer.
>
> : Bought KFC for the kids tonight and they now have sweet potato fries.
> : Everyone but me was buying them.
> : Might be tempted to try them one day.. I can't imagine canned sweet
> : potato. As to the marshmallows, I'll have to keep imagining it :) Did
> : someone one day just say, oh what the heck, I am putting marshmallows on
> : my sweet potato? :)
>
> The marshmallow dish is a cassaarole of mashed sweet potatoes, often
> sweetened with brown sugar and/or pineapple juice, which is topped with
> teh marshmallows adn baked. This is often a holiday dish, like for
> thansgiving. Very sweet, as you can see. Not oneof y favorites even in
> pre-diabetes days, but very popular as the holidays dish, like pumpkin
> pie. My moher used to not use the marshmallows, but put slices of
> pineapple on top.
>
> Another holiday dish popular in the USA is that string bean cassarole made
> with cream of mushroom soup and ccanned french fried onions.

Something else never seen here (at least I never have) a bit like canned
chicken and canned pumpkin also never seen and hard to imagine. What
other novel things do you lot put in a can :-) I *have* seen fried
grasshoppers, not a big seller though.

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2