Old 16-03-2011, 09:34 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Tonight's dinner

"Cheri" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"RodS" wrote in message
On 16/03/2011 12:10 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

I don't think this will be too hot as the beans are canned with chilli
already added. I usually make my own by rinsing a large can of beans
and
adding it to the meat with the chilli flavouring etc. So it remains to
be seen what the verdict will be. Canned beans, tomatoes and baked
beans
(for one son) are almost the only canned stuff I buy. Sometimes I buy
canned fruit in water as one son likes that occasionally.

Wot no beetroot no salad is complete with slices of beetroot :-)

Maybe she uses fresh? I'm the only one in this house that will eat
beets.

I do truly HATE beets...and sweet potatoes.

I love beets but hate sweet potatoes.

Old 16-03-2011, 10:35 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"RodS" wrote in message
On 16/03/2011 12:10 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

I don't think this will be too hot as the beans are canned with
chilli
already added. I usually make my own by rinsing a large can of
beans and
adding it to the meat with the chilli flavouring etc. So it remains
be seen what the verdict will be. Canned beans, tomatoes and baked
beans
(for one son) are almost the only canned stuff I buy. Sometimes I
buy
canned fruit in water as one son likes that occasionally.

Wot no beetroot no salad is complete with slices of beetroot :-)

Maybe she uses fresh? I'm the only one in this house that will eat
beets.

I do truly HATE beets...and sweet potatoes.

Cheri

Oh Cheri how could you! Nothing better than a baked sweet potato with
butter, cinnamon and dash of sugar.

Old 16-03-2011, 11:55 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
soda bread recipe? you can email as i am sure it doesn't fit low carb, or
diabetic, Lee

It's really simple and delicious. It's not low carb, but I won't be eating
any of it, so will just go ahead and post it...it gets really crusty on the
outside, and dense and moist on the inside.

4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 to 1 1/2 cups buttermilk

Cooking Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Sift the flour, soda and salt
together into a deep mixing bowl. Gradually add 1 cup of buttermilk, mixing
with
a large spoon until the dough is firm enough to be gathered into a large
ball.
If the dough crumbles, add some more of the buttermilk, a tablespoon at a
time,
until the particles adhere.

Place the dough on a lightly floured board, and pat and shape it into a flat
circular loaf about 8 inches in diameter and 1 1/2 inches thick. Set the
loaf on
a floured baking sheet. With the tip of a small knife, cut a 1/2 inch deep
cross
into the dough, dividing the top of the loaf into quarters.

Bake the bread in the middle of the oven for about 45 minutes, or until the
top
is golden brown. Remove from the oven and wrap in a clean cloth and let cool
on
a wire rack for about 20 minutes.

Old 16-03-2011, 11:57 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"RodS" wrote in message
On 16/03/2011 12:10 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

I don't think this will be too hot as the beans are canned with chilli
already added. I usually make my own by rinsing a large can of beans
and
adding it to the meat with the chilli flavouring etc. So it remains to
be seen what the verdict will be. Canned beans, tomatoes and baked
beans
(for one son) are almost the only canned stuff I buy. Sometimes I buy
canned fruit in water as one son likes that occasionally.

Wot no beetroot no salad is complete with slices of beetroot :-)

Maybe she uses fresh? I'm the only one in this house that will eat
beets.

I do truly HATE beets...and sweet potatoes.

Cheri

Oh Cheri how could you! Nothing better than a baked sweet potato with
butter, cinnamon and dash of sugar.

I make them for my dh, and it almost gags me...but, to each their own.

Cheri

Old 17-03-2011, 12:46 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:
: SO soda bread and sourdough bread are one and the same?

No. sourdough uses a yeast that is kept alive in a flour/water mixture
from baking to baking. It has a sour flavor, hence the name. soda bred
uses the combo of baking powder and the bacteria in buttermilk to raise
it.

Wendy

: "Cheri" wrote in message
: ...
:
: ...
Old 17-03-2011, 12:46 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nope. Soda bread has baking soda as its leavening agent. Sourdough has
natural yeasts, usually saved in "starter" form, as its leavening agent.
Taste and texture both differ.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Old 17-03-2011, 12:58 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"RodS" wrote in message
On 16/03/2011 12:10 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

I don't think this will be too hot as the beans are canned with chilli
already added. I usually make my own by rinsing a large can of beans
and
adding it to the meat with the chilli flavouring etc. So it remains to
be seen what the verdict will be. Canned beans, tomatoes and baked
beans
(for one son) are almost the only canned stuff I buy. Sometimes I buy
canned fruit in water as one son likes that occasionally.

Wot no beetroot no salad is complete with slices of beetroot :-)

Maybe she uses fresh? I'm the only one in this house that will eat
beets.

I do truly HATE beets...and sweet potatoes.

Cheri

Oh Cheri how could you! Nothing better than a baked sweet potato with
butter, cinnamon and dash of sugar.

*Runs to bathroom to puke*

My mom always made the canned ones, mashed with marshmallows on the top. I
always thought I hated them because of the marshmallows.

Then as an adult, I used to listen to Talknet. No longer on the air. But I
heard Sally Jesse Raphael describing a baked sweet potato. She made it
sound sooo good! She only put butter on hers. I tried it. Hated it!

Then some years after that, my SIL's mom went overboard on a dinner for me
because I was a vegetarian. She must have put out at least 12 kinds of
veggies including sweet potatoes. To be polite, I tried a piece and I liked
it! So I asked her how she made it. She showed me the can. Straight from
the can and heated.

When I got home, I remembered the name, bought some and hated them. Tried
them again some years later when Angela was little. Everyone hated them.

Angela does like sweet potato fries. I can eat maybe 2 or 3 of those. They
don't gag me. But I also would never seek them out.

Old 17-03-2011, 01:01 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"RodS" wrote in message
[...]

Luckily my husband doesn't like them. He does however love broccoli and
asparagus which do gag me to cook. He gets each one about twice a year,
made by me. Luckily Central Market does grilled veggies and sometimes they
have a mix of carrots, zucchini and asparagus. I get those and some very
expensive wild salmon and maybe some cooked rice or potatoes for him. Makes
a nice meal that I don't have to cook. At the same time I usually get
Angela some lamb kebobs.

Old 17-03-2011, 01:01 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
SO soda bread and sourdough bread are one and the same?

I always thought soda bread was a quick bread with raisins in it. I know I
made it once but it was many years ago.

Old 17-03-2011, 04:58 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
SO soda bread and sourdough bread are one and the same?

I always thought soda bread was a quick bread with raisins in it. I know
I made it once but it was many years ago.

There are different kinds I believe. The cook where I worked years ago put
in raisins and sugar or honey, can't remember for sure, but I don't really
care for the sweet in it at all. My dinner turned out really good, and of
everything...the soda bread was hard to leave alone. Friends loved it. :-)

Cheri

Old 17-03-2011, 10:50 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 17/03/2011 8:36 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

I might make Irish stew. Nah, lamb is like petrol these days, need to
take out a loan to buy them

Tell me about it $1.50 a litre today, good thing I didn't want to go
anywhere :-)

--
(- -)
=m=(_)=m=