Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tonight's dinner

My quick and easy dinner tonight. Took about 30 minutes total, if you
don't count deboning a mess of chicken thighs and cutting them up. The
bones will go for stock; the skins/fat for schmaltz. The curry was spicy
and delicious, and just what James needed to help clear his poor head
(he has a cold).

Heat the cream on the top of the coconut milk until it bubbles. Add a
big glop of Mae Ploy panang curry paste and cook until it's pretty dry.
Add a bunch of cut-up chicken meat and stir. Add more coconut milk a
quarter-cup or so at a time, but it shouldn't get soupy. You kind of
want it to fry in the lipid curry/coconut mixture. Boil/fry and stir
occasionally until the chicken is cooked. Add a bit of fish sauce and a
squeeze of lemon or lime juice at the end. Serve on sticky rice.

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 20:13:48 -0800, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

> My quick and easy dinner tonight. Took about 30 minutes total, if you
> don't count deboning a mess of chicken thighs and cutting them up. The
> bones will go for stock; the skins/fat for schmaltz. The curry was spicy
> and delicious, and just what James needed to help clear his poor head
> (he has a cold).
>
> Heat the cream on the top of the coconut milk until it bubbles. Add a
> big glop of Mae Ploy panang curry paste and cook until it's pretty dry.
> Add a bunch of cut-up chicken meat and stir. Add more coconut milk a
> quarter-cup or so at a time, but it shouldn't get soupy. You kind of
> want it to fry in the lipid curry/coconut mixture. Boil/fry and stir
> occasionally until the chicken is cooked. Add a bit of fish sauce and a
> squeeze of lemon or lime juice at the end. Serve on sticky rice.

Yum!

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> My quick and easy dinner tonight. Took about 30 minutes total, if you
> don't count deboning a mess of chicken thighs and cutting them up. The
> bones will go for stock; the skins/fat for schmaltz. The curry was spicy
> and delicious, and just what James needed to help clear his poor head
> (he has a cold).
>
> Heat the cream on the top of the coconut milk until it bubbles. Add a
> big glop of Mae Ploy panang curry paste and cook until it's pretty dry.
> Add a bunch of cut-up chicken meat and stir. Add more coconut milk a
> quarter-cup or so at a time, but it shouldn't get soupy. You kind of
> want it to fry in the lipid curry/coconut mixture. Boil/fry and stir
> occasionally until the chicken is cooked. Add a bit of fish sauce and a
> squeeze of lemon or lime juice at the end. Serve on sticky rice.
>
> Serene

Mmmm. But then I am partial to panang curries.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2010 11:13 PM, Serene Vannoy wrote:
> My quick and easy dinner tonight. Took about 30 minutes total, if you
> don't count deboning a mess of chicken thighs and cutting them up. The
> bones will go for stock; the skins/fat for schmaltz. The curry was spicy
> and delicious, and just what James needed to help clear his poor head
> (he has a cold).
>
> Heat the cream on the top of the coconut milk until it bubbles. Add a
> big glop of Mae Ploy panang curry paste and cook until it's pretty dry.
> Add a bunch of cut-up chicken meat and stir. Add more coconut milk a
> quarter-cup or so at a time, but it shouldn't get soupy. You kind of
> want it to fry in the lipid curry/coconut mixture. Boil/fry and stir
> occasionally until the chicken is cooked. Add a bit of fish sauce and a
> squeeze of lemon or lime juice at the end. Serve on sticky rice.
>
> Serene

Sounds delish! I'd serve with lots of naan!

--
Currently reading: the thirteenth tale by Diane Setterfield
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Thai fish cakes.... Tonight's dinner

ravenlynne > wrote in news:ibm7t5$32b$3
@news.eternal-september.org:

> On 11/12/2010 11:13 PM, Serene Vannoy wrote:
>> My quick and easy dinner tonight. Took about 30 minutes total, if you
>> don't count deboning a mess of chicken thighs and cutting them up. The
>> bones will go for stock; the skins/fat for schmaltz. The curry was

spicy
>> and delicious, and just what James needed to help clear his poor head
>> (he has a cold).
>>
>> Heat the cream on the top of the coconut milk until it bubbles. Add a
>> big glop of Mae Ploy panang curry paste and cook until it's pretty dry.
>> Add a bunch of cut-up chicken meat and stir. Add more coconut milk a
>> quarter-cup or so at a time, but it shouldn't get soupy. You kind of
>> want it to fry in the lipid curry/coconut mixture. Boil/fry and stir
>> occasionally until the chicken is cooked. Add a bit of fish sauce and a
>> squeeze of lemon or lime juice at the end. Serve on sticky rice.
>>
>> Serene

> Sounds delish! I'd serve with lots of naan!

Mae Ploy is one of the *best* curry sauces/pastes out there.

I use the MP red curry paste in my Thai fish cakes.

THAI FISH CAKES
(Tod Man Pla)

Preparation time: 25 mins

Total cooking time: 5-10 mins

Serves 4-6

450g (1 lb) white fish fillets
3 tablespoons cornflour
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 egg beaten
15g (1/2 cup) coriander leaves
1-2 teaspoons chopped red chillies (or as much as you want :-)
3 tablespoons Red Curry paste (commercial stuff is fine)
100g (3/4 cup) green beans very finely sliced
2 spring onions finely chopped
125ml (1/2 cup) oil for frying

Process the fish in a food processor for 20 secs or until smooth. Add
the cornflour, fish sauce, beaten egg, coriander leaves, chilli and
curry paste. Process for 10 secs or until well combined.
Transfer the fish mixture to a large bowl. Add the green beans and
spring onions and mix well. Using wet hands, form a couple of
tablespoons of the mixture into a flattish pattie..
Heat the oil in a heavy based frying pan over medium heat. Cook 4 fish
cakes at a time until they are a dark golden brown on both sides. Drain
on paper towels and serve immediately with a dipping sauce.
(You can prepare the fish cakes and store them, covered, in the
refrigerator for up to 4 hours before you cook them)

BASIC DIPPING SAUCE

(Nam Prik)
Combine 60ml (1/4 cup) of fish sauce, 1 tablespoon of white vinegar, 2-3
teaspoons of finely chopped red chillies, 1 teaspoon of sugar and 2
teaspoons of chopped coriander stems. Stir until sugar dissolves.

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

On the seventh day God rested.
But on the 8th day the Gates of Hell were opened
and God brought forth the Airborne Infantry.
And the Devil stood at attention.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Thai fish cakes.... Tonight's dinner

Captain Peter Swallows opined:

> Mae Ploy is one of the *best* curry sauces/pastes out there.

Yes it is, and you learned about it from Sqwertz!

Bob