Old 17-03-2011, 10:56 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Tonight's dinner

"RodS" wrote in message
On 17/03/2011 8:36 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

I might make Irish stew. Nah, lamb is like petrol these days, need to
take out a loan to buy them

Tell me about it $1.50 a litre today, good thing I didn't want to go
anywhere :-)

I go pretty much to the high school twice a day and the shops once a
week or so at the moment.

Old 17-03-2011, 11:01 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 17/03/2011 10:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
wrote in message

wrote in message

"Julie wrote in message

wrote in message
On 16/03/2011 12:10 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

I don't think this will be too hot as the beans are canned with chilli
already added. I usually make my own by rinsing a large can of beans
and
adding it to the meat with the chilli flavouring etc. So it remains to
be seen what the verdict will be. Canned beans, tomatoes and baked
beans
(for one son) are almost the only canned stuff I buy. Sometimes I buy
canned fruit in water as one son likes that occasionally.

Wot no beetroot no salad is complete with slices of beetroot :-)

Maybe she uses fresh? I'm the only one in this house that will eat
beets.

I do truly HATE beets...and sweet potatoes.

Cheri

Oh Cheri how could you! Nothing better than a baked sweet potato with
butter, cinnamon and dash of sugar.

*Runs to bathroom to puke*

My mom always made the canned ones, mashed with marshmallows on the top. I
always thought I hated them because of the marshmallows.

Never seen canned sweet potato, never put marshmallow on a vegetable
either, WHY would anyone put marshmallow on vegetables ? I must have led
a sheltered life :-) Baked with butter and pinch of cinnamon sugar,
nothing nicer.

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia

Then as an adult, I used to listen to Talknet. No longer on the air. But I
heard Sally Jesse Raphael describing a baked sweet potato. She made it
sound sooo good! She only put butter on hers. I tried it. Hated it!

Then some years after that, my SIL's mom went overboard on a dinner for me
because I was a vegetarian. She must have put out at least 12 kinds of
veggies including sweet potatoes. To be polite, I tried a piece and I liked
it! So I asked her how she made it. She showed me the can. Straight from
the can and heated.

When I got home, I remembered the name, bought some and hated them. Tried
them again some years later when Angela was little. Everyone hated them.

Angela does like sweet potato fries. I can eat maybe 2 or 3 of those. They
don't gag me. But I also would never seek them out.

Old 17-03-2011, 11:41 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" wrote in message
On 17/03/2011 10:58 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

My mom always made the canned ones, mashed with marshmallows on the
top. I
always thought I hated them because of the marshmallows.

Never seen canned sweet potato, never put marshmallow on a vegetable
either, WHY would anyone put marshmallow on vegetables ? I must have
led a sheltered life :-) Baked with butter and pinch of cinnamon
sugar, nothing nicer.

Bought KFC for the kids tonight and they now have sweet potato fries.
Everyone but me was buying them.
Might be tempted to try them one day.. I can't imagine canned sweet
potato. As to the marshmallows, I'll have to keep imagining it Did
someone one day just say, oh what the heck, I am putting marshmallows on
my sweet potato?

Old 17-03-2011, 01:52 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote in message

wrote in message

"Julie wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

That's how my grandma made them. Apparently it is a common thing to do
because my friend says she does them that way too.

Old 17-03-2011, 02:02 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote in message

wrote in message

"Julie wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

There is very little sugar in cinnamon sugar compared to cinnamon. And I
don't put much on. Lucky if 1/8 teaspoon is sugar. But we didn't invent
this. It became popular here after the introduction of American style
steakhouses.

Old 17-03-2011, 02:05 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:

: ...

:
: Never seen canned sweet potato, never put marshmallow on a vegetable
: either, WHY would anyone put marshmallow on vegetables ? I must have
: led a sheltered life :-) Baked with butter and pinch of cinnamon
: sugar, nothing nicer.

: Bought KFC for the kids tonight and they now have sweet potato fries.
: Everyone but me was buying them.
: Might be tempted to try them one day.. I can't imagine canned sweet
: potato. As to the marshmallows, I'll have to keep imagining it Did
: someone one day just say, oh what the heck, I am putting marshmallows on
: my sweet potato?

The marshmallow dish is a cassaarole of mashed sweet potatoes, often
sweetened with brown sugar and/or pineapple juice, which is topped with
teh marshmallows adn baked. This is often a holiday dish, like for
thansgiving. Very sweet, as you can see. Not oneof y favorites even in
pre-diabetes days, but very popular as the holidays dish, like pumpkin
pie. My moher used to not use the marshmallows, but put slices of
pineapple on top.

Another holiday dish popular in the USA is that string bean cassarole made
with cream of mushroom soup and ccanned french fried onions. As our
thanksgiving meal alwasy had meat(turkey) we never even tried this dish,
but it never filled me with confidence as a gourmet treat:-) I think it
is thought of as a fancy vegetable tht is not difficult to make,
paratiularly if you use frozen string beans, which is the only kind many
peole know, evcept for those soggy canned ones. I know Julie was raised
on them, but I never could stand them.
to each hir own.

Wendy
Old 17-03-2011, 03:48 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote in message

wrote in message

"Julie wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Maybe it's more of a US thing. When I was a kid, my mom made that sweet
potato casserole with marshmallows browned on top every time she made a ham
or a turkey, and all holidays. Errrrrrrk. She also used to stick those whole
cloves all over hams, with the pineapple slices and marachino cherries in
the pineapple holes. I could handle the pineapple/cherries, but not the
cloves stuck in. Another huge Errrrrrrk.

Cheri

Old 17-03-2011, 09:14 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:

There is very little sugar in cinnamon sugar compared to cinnamon.
And I don't put much on. Lucky if 1/8 teaspoon is sugar. But we
didn't invent this. It became popular here after the introduction of
American style steakhouses.

That's weird because our steakhouses don't serve sweet potatoes at all.
They serve French fries, steak fries and baked potatoes.

We also have Outback Steakhouse, purportedly an Austrailian style place with
Bloomin' Onions. This is an onion cut to look like a flower, battered and
deep fried. Quite nasty and greasy it is.

Old 17-03-2011, 09:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Ozgirl wrote:

: "RodS" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Canned onions? Wow, is there nothing you can't buy in a can there? As
a child the only veggie other than potato that I would eat was canned
peas I would eat them from the can lol. Although I do recall I ate
some raw peas sometimes as I was helping my mother shell them. I spread
my wings a bit when I started eating tomato sandwiches in my younger
teens, but they had to be very ripe, with lots of salt and on the bread
at least a couple of hours. It wasn't until I started WW in my early
20's (after putting on weight after marrying at 17 and having two kids)
that I started to eat lots of veggies. It was that or starve. Now, I
can't imagine not having veggies, I even prefer them over anything else.

Old 17-03-2011, 09:49 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 18/03/2011 12:05 AM, W. Baker wrote:
wrote:

: wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Something else never seen here (at least I never have) a bit like canned
chicken and canned pumpkin also never seen and hard to imagine. What
other novel things do you lot put in a can :-) I *have* seen fried
grasshoppers, not a big seller though.

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia

Old 17-03-2011, 09:49 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote in message

wrote in message

"Julie wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

I recall we only had the cloves in the ham not the cherries and
pineapple but I have seen pics of it like you describe. I don't mind
cloves, I put it in stewed apples.

Old 17-03-2011, 09:51 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Ozgirl wrote:

There is very little sugar in cinnamon sugar compared to cinnamon.
And I don't put much on. Lucky if 1/8 teaspoon is sugar. But we
didn't invent this. It became popular here after the introduction of
American style steakhouses.

That's weird because our steakhouses don't serve sweet potatoes at
all. They serve French fries, steak fries and baked potatoes.

We also have Outback Steakhouse, purportedly an Austrailian style
place with Bloomin' Onions. This is an onion cut to look like a
flower, battered and deep fried. Quite nasty and greasy it is.

I have tasted or even seen anything like that, lol. At the Lonestar
restaurants - the steakhouses I mentioned - they do a wonderful Tex Mex
steak. I have that with the sweet potato option and the obligatory free
salad.

Old 17-03-2011, 10:01 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Ozgirl wrote:

: "RodS" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

These are not regular onions. They are fried in some sort of batter, I
think. I only ever bought them once and that was many years ago. The "can"
is actually a round cardboard box with a coating on it.

Old 17-03-2011, 10:04 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" wrote in message
On 18/03/2011 12:05 AM, W. Baker wrote:
wrote:

: wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Why is canned chicken hard to imagine? It was a common thing to make during
the depression.

Old 17-03-2011, 10:05 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 18/03/2011 7:14 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
Ozgirl wrote:

There is very little sugar in cinnamon sugar compared to cinnamon.
And I don't put much on. Lucky if 1/8 teaspoon is sugar. But we
didn't invent this. It became popular here after the introduction of
American style steakhouses.

That's weird because our steakhouses don't serve sweet potatoes at all.
They serve French fries, steak fries and baked potatoes.

We also have Outback Steakhouse, purportedly an Austrailian style place with
Bloomin' Onions. This is an onion cut to look like a flower, battered and
deep fried. Quite nasty and greasy it is.

I have heard about that place I don't think there is too many Aussies
involved with it, I haven't heard an Aussie say "blooming" since umm
ummm *ever* :-) Now if they were Bloody onions, that would show an
Aussie involved in it somewhere.

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2