Old 04-08-2008, 06:17 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Almond crust that's not crumbly

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
: In article ,
: "W. Baker" wrote:

: Peppermint Patootie wrote:
: : Does anyone have a recipe? If I don't hear any good suggestions I think
: : I'll just make an almond meal / sweetener / butter crust with a beaten
: : egg mixed in.
:
: : I want the crust to make a base that will hold together on top of which
: : I can put fruit and some kind of glaze. The whole thing won't be
: : low-carb per se, but I figure I can lowER the carbs by making the pastry
: : base with almond meal. Plus I like the taste. :-)
:
: : I've got these ripe peaches in the fridge, see, and there are
: : blueberries.....
:
: : PP, T2
:
: I have no idea of the amount of each ingredients in this recipe I saw on
: the Lydia program today, but she maintains it somes out a chewy crust with
: a peach tart she made. It was toasted almonds, sugar, cocoa, a little
: flour, egg white all whapped p in the food processor. the texture when
: she took it out was pliable adn well stuck together adn she was able to
: hold the whole lump in her hands before pressign it into the tart pan.
: You might try er website which usually has the current eek's recipes on
: it. I think the almonds may well have been closer to nut butter than
: crumbs, but with my vision, I couldn't swear.
:
: the tart looked lovely with large peach quaters or 6ths withthe skin on
: all kind of standing up in the tart. she did do a preliminary light cook
: in a sugar-water solution to get a bit of caramelization, but tht might
: well be skipped or done with an artificial sweetener.
:
: I love her show, although much of the food is qute impossible for me
: eithe rfor diabetes or kosher reaasons. Why is there cheese inm so many
: meat dishes!!!!

: Thanks, Wendy! That sounds good. Lydia who?

: PP

Lidia Bastianisch(sp?) she is a restauranteur(se) in NYC and has a great
TV cooking show on public television. He websit, si, I believe idia's
Italy.com which is the title of her current book and series(she has done
several of both). Not ti i in Lidia.

If that is not the web site I might try gooling on Lidia and see if you
get something adn not too amny.

Wendy

Old 05-08-2008, 02:00 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Aug 3, 2:12*am, "krom" wrote:
I have tried this and didnt much like the crumbly results or the taste...was
ok holding chocolate mouse but really coulda left it out..im thinking of
mixing carbalose with it next time and a egg to see if that makes it more
real crust like.

KROM

"jacquie" wrote ...

I found this online:
This is a very easy pie crust to make. This works best for a 9" pie pan..
If you have an 8" one, the crust will be a little thicker, or you can cut
back on the ingredients a bit.
Ingredients:
*a.. 1 and 1/2 cups almond meal or almond flour
*b.. 3 tablespoons melted butter
*c.. Artificial sweetener equal to 3 tablespoons sugar
Preparation:
Heat oven to 350 F. Melt the butter (if the pie pan is microwave safe,
melt the butter in it) and mix the ingredients up in the pan and pat into
place with your fingertips.

Bake for about 10 minutes until the crust is beginning to brown. After 8
minutes, check every minute or so, because once it starts to brown it goes
quickly.- Hide quoted text -

Don't know where I saw it, but there was one recipe that called for an
egg white as a binder for a nut crust like that.

Evelyn

Old 05-08-2008, 10:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"W. Baker" wrote:

Lidia Bastianisch(sp?) she is a restauranteur(se) in NYC and has a great
TV cooking show on public television. He websit, si, I believe idia's
Italy.com which is the title of her current book and series(she has done
several of both). Not ti i in Lidia.

If that is not the web site I might try gooling on Lidia and see if you
get something adn not too amny.

Wendy

Found it! http://www.lidiasitaly.com/

Thanks!

PP

what can I make from crumbly dry pie crust Jean B.[_1_] General Cooking 10 22-07-2009 06:56 PM
Tilapia with Almond Crust Duckie Recipes 0 16-03-2005 02:50 PM
Almond pie crust Nan Eklund Diabetic 17 18-11-2004 10:16 PM
Lime Cheesecake with Ginger Almond Crust Chef2Chef Recipe Club Recipes (moderated) 0 06-05-2004 02:04 AM
Bread Too Crumbly Tony Baking 6 20-04-2004 06:59 PM