Old 03-08-2008, 04:54 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Almond crust that's not crumbly

Does anyone have a recipe? If I don't hear any good suggestions I think
I'll just make an almond meal / sweetener / butter crust with a beaten
egg mixed in.

I want the crust to make a base that will hold together on top of which
I can put fruit and some kind of glaze. The whole thing won't be
low-carb per se, but I figure I can lowER the carbs by making the pastry
base with almond meal. Plus I like the taste. :-)

I've got these ripe peaches in the fridge, see, and there are
blueberries.....

PP, T2

Old 03-08-2008, 04:59 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
Does anyone have a recipe? If I don't hear any good suggestions I think
I'll just make an almond meal / sweetener / butter crust with a beaten
egg mixed in.

I want the crust to make a base that will hold together on top of which
I can put fruit and some kind of glaze. The whole thing won't be
low-carb per se, but I figure I can lowER the carbs by making the pastry
base with almond meal. Plus I like the taste. :-)

I've got these ripe peaches in the fridge, see, and there are
blueberries.....

You have low carb peaches?

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:35 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I found this online:
This is a very easy pie crust to make. This works best for a 9" pie pan. If
you have an 8" one, the crust will be a little thicker, or you can cut back
on the ingredients a bit.
Ingredients:
a.. 1 and 1/2 cups almond meal or almond flour
b.. 3 tablespoons melted butter
c.. Artificial sweetener equal to 3 tablespoons sugar
Preparation:
Heat oven to 350 F. Melt the butter (if the pie pan is microwave safe, melt
the butter in it) and mix the ingredients up in the pan and pat into place
with your fingertips.

Bake for about 10 minutes until the crust is beginning to brown. After 8
minutes, check every minute or so, because once it starts to brown it goes
quickly.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:40 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Here is a recipe using Pecans..I also found this online and have not tried
it.

Pecan Pie Crust

2 1/2 cups ground pecans
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup white sugar (You can use Splenda)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

DIRECTIONS
Stir together ground nuts, cinnamon, and sugar. Mix in melted butter.
Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9 inch, deep-dish
style, pie pan. Chill the unbaked crust in the refrigerator for about 30 to
45 minutes.
Place pie crust on a cookie sheet, and position on the middle rack of a
preheated 350 degree F (175 degree C) oven. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or
until lightly browned. WATCH it carefully, as nut crusts burn easily; they
DON'T have to turn black to taste burnt! Cool completely before filling.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:12 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I have tried this and didnt much like the crumbly results or the taste...was
ok holding chocolate mouse but really coulda left it out..im thinking of
mixing carbalose with it next time and a egg to see if that makes it more
real crust like.

KROM

"jacquie" wrote ...

Old 03-08-2008, 03:33 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"jacquie" wrote:

I found this online:
This is a very easy pie crust to make. This works best for a 9" pie pan. If
you have an 8" one, the crust will be a little thicker, or you can cut back
on the ingredients a bit.
Ingredients:
a.. 1 and 1/2 cups almond meal or almond flour
b.. 3 tablespoons melted butter
c.. Artificial sweetener equal to 3 tablespoons sugar
Preparation:
Heat oven to 350 F. Melt the butter (if the pie pan is microwave safe, melt
the butter in it) and mix the ingredients up in the pan and pat into place
with your fingertips.

Bake for about 10 minutes until the crust is beginning to brown. After 8
minutes, check every minute or so, because once it starts to brown it goes
quickly.

Yes, but does it hold together? In my experience nut/sweetener/butter
crust crumbles.

PP
Old 03-08-2008, 03:34 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
Nick Cramer wrote:

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
Does anyone have a recipe? If I don't hear any good suggestions I think
I'll just make an almond meal / sweetener / butter crust with a beaten
egg mixed in.

I want the crust to make a base that will hold together on top of which
I can put fruit and some kind of glaze. The whole thing won't be
low-carb per se, but I figure I can lowER the carbs by making the pastry
base with almond meal. Plus I like the taste. :-)

I've got these ripe peaches in the fridge, see, and there are
blueberries.....

You have low carb peaches?

Did you read what I wrote?

PP
Old 03-08-2008, 06:05 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I gave up trying to have a crust with cream or fruit filling that could be
sliced and lifted in tact to a desert plate. I now make my nut crust as
follows:

1/4 c. carbalose or carbquick (either works)
1/4 c. almond flour
2 Tbs. Splenda or equiv. A.S.
1/4 c. chopped pecans or walnuts
2 or 3 Tbs. coconut oil

I put just enough of this mixture in the bottom of 6 or 7 oven safe custard
cups, press it down and bake at 350 for about 10 mins. Oddly enough, after
filling and chilling it seems to hold together quite nicely. Just can't get
it to do this in a 9" pie plate. Like I said, I give up. Please post again
if you figure this out.

Barbara H
Type 2, dx 7/06, metformin 1500, byetta 5x2, last A1c 5.9 (waiting for the
new one & dreading the number)

Old 03-08-2008, 10:20 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
In article ,
"jacquie" wrote:

I found this online:
This is a very easy pie crust to make. This works best for a 9" pie
pan. If you have an 8" one, the crust will be a little thicker, or
you can cut back on the ingredients a bit.
Ingredients:
a.. 1 and 1/2 cups almond meal or almond flour
b.. 3 tablespoons melted butter
c.. Artificial sweetener equal to 3 tablespoons sugar
Preparation:
Heat oven to 350 F. Melt the butter (if the pie pan is microwave
safe, melt the butter in it) and mix the ingredients up in the pan
and pat into place with your fingertips.

Bake for about 10 minutes until the crust is beginning to brown.
After 8 minutes, check every minute or so, because once it starts to
brown it goes quickly.

Yes, but does it hold together? In my experience nut/sweetener/butter
crust crumbles.

That's how I like my crust with cheesecake and I eat it with a fork.
Possibly a bit crumbly for a fruit flan though.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:22 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
In article ,
Nick Cramer wrote:

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
Does anyone have a recipe? If I don't hear any good suggestions I
think I'll just make an almond meal / sweetener / butter crust with
a beaten egg mixed in.

I want the crust to make a base that will hold together on top of
which I can put fruit and some kind of glaze. The whole thing
won't be low-carb per se, but I figure I can lowER the carbs by
making the pastry base with almond meal. Plus I like the taste.
:-)

I've got these ripe peaches in the fridge, see, and there are
blueberries.....

You have low carb peaches?

Did you read what I wrote?

Actually peaches and blueberries are usually pretty diabetic friendly in
moderation. With a low carb base and whipped cream you might be able to eat
a sizeable serving without trauma

Old 03-08-2008, 11:18 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
: Does anyone have a recipe? If I don't hear any good suggestions I think
: I'll just make an almond meal / sweetener / butter crust with a beaten
: egg mixed in.

: I want the crust to make a base that will hold together on top of which
: I can put fruit and some kind of glaze. The whole thing won't be
: low-carb per se, but I figure I can lowER the carbs by making the pastry
: base with almond meal. Plus I like the taste. :-)

: I've got these ripe peaches in the fridge, see, and there are
: blueberries.....

: PP, T2

I have no idea of the amount of each ingredients in this recipe I saw on
the Lydia program today, but she maintains it somes out a chewy crust with
a peach tart she made. It was toasted almonds, sugar, cocoa, a little
flour, egg white all whapped p in the food processor. the texture when
she took it out was pliable adn well stuck together adn she was able to
hold the whole lump in her hands before pressign it into the tart pan.
You might try er website which usually has the current eek's recipes on
it. I think the almonds may well have been closer to nut butter than
crumbs, but with my vision, I couldn't swear.

the tart looked lovely with large peach quaters or 6ths withthe skin on
all kind of standing up in the tart. she did do a preliminary light cook
in a sugar-water solution to get a bit of caramelization, but tht might
well be skipped or done with an artificial sweetener.

I love her show, although much of the food is qute impossible for me
eithe rfor diabetes or kosher reaasons. Why is there cheese inm so many
meat dishes!!!!

Wendy
Old 04-08-2008, 03:32 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"W. Baker" wrote:

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Wendy! That sounds good. Lydia who?

PP
Old 04-08-2008, 04:30 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie wrote in message ...

Thanks, Wendy! That sounds good. Lydia who?

PP

Quick question. Has anybody tried using a regular crust recipe,
shortening, butter, etc., with almond flour subbed for the reg flour?
I haven't, but I'm curious, can you not roll it out the same way, does
it come apart or what?

Cheri

Old 04-08-2008, 06:06 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Yes i like the almond recipe for cheescake but i tried to make a blueberry
pie and it was nasty..lol

KROM

"Ozgirl"

Old 04-08-2008, 04:37 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote:

Peppermint Patootie wrote in message ...

Thanks, Wendy! That sounds good. Lydia who?

PP

Quick question. Has anybody tried using a regular crust recipe,
shortening, butter, etc., with almond flour subbed for the reg flour?
I haven't, but I'm curious, can you not roll it out the same way, does
it come apart or what?

I would bet it would crumble, since pie crust is basically flour,
shortening, and a little cold water.

PP

what can I make from crumbly dry pie crust Jean B.[_1_] General Cooking 10 22-07-2009 06:56 PM
Tilapia with Almond Crust Duckie Recipes 0 16-03-2005 02:50 PM
Almond pie crust Nan Eklund Diabetic 17 18-11-2004 10:16 PM
Lime Cheesecake with Ginger Almond Crust Chef2Chef Recipe Club Recipes (moderated) 0 06-05-2004 02:04 AM
Bread Too Crumbly Tony Baking 6 20-04-2004 06:59 PM