Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default what can I make from crumbly dry pie crust

My blueberry pie is now in the oven, but there were a couple of
mishaps on the way. You should know up front that I hate making
pie crust. Therefore, I bought a spelt crust, not because I cared
that it was spelt but because it seemed a bit larger than the
other crusts. When I went to use it, it was dry and crumbly,
almost like cardboard. Obviously there was no way I'd be able to
fit crust number 2 on top and then seal the edges. I might have
made a streusel topping, but I was almost out of sugar! So off I
went to buy some other crusts. I decided to get the store brand,
which at least had normal lard ahead of the bht-enhanced etc.
stuff in the list of ingredients. The directions said I could
heat it for 20-30 seconds at 30% power to expedite things. I
heated the first crust, and that went fairly well, with only a
couple of places sticking together. (WHY don't they roll it with
waxed paper???? Hmmm. I could make my own crust and then roll it
up like this WITH waxed paper--it's largely the transferring that
I hate when I make my own.) BUT the second crust, heated for less
time, got much too soft and totally stuck together. What to do?
I rolled it out using a bottle that was in the fridge and then
stuck it in the fridge for a while. Now I can only pray.

The question is... is there anything one can do with that
crumbly, cardboard-like crust? Seems a shame to just waste it.
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 21, 3:31*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
> My blueberry pie is now in the oven, but there were a couple of
> mishaps on the way. *You should know up front that I hate making
> pie crust. *Therefore, I bought a spelt crust, not because I cared
> that it was spelt but because it seemed a bit larger than the
> other crusts. *When I went to use it, it was dry and crumbly,
> almost like cardboard. *Obviously there was no way I'd be able to
> fit crust number 2 on top and then seal the edges. *I might have
> made a streusel topping, but I was almost out of sugar! *So off I
> went to buy some other crusts. *I decided to get the store brand,
> which at least had normal lard ahead of the bht-enhanced etc.
> stuff in the list of ingredients. *The directions said I could
> heat it for 20-30 seconds at 30% power to expedite things. *I
> heated the first crust, and that went fairly well, with only a
> couple of places sticking together. *(WHY don't they roll it with
> waxed paper???? *Hmmm. *I could make my own crust and then roll it
> up like this WITH waxed paper--it's largely the transferring that
> I hate when I make my own.) *BUT the second crust, heated for less
> time, got much too soft and totally stuck together. *What to do?
> I rolled it out using a bottle that was in the fridge and then
> stuck it in the fridge for a while. *Now I can only pray.
>
> The question is... *is there anything one can do with that
> crumbly, cardboard-like crust? *Seems a shame to just waste it.
> --
> Jean B.

You can always throw it out for the birds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown wrote:
> On Jul 21, 3:31 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> My blueberry pie is now in the oven, but there were a couple of
>> mishaps on the way. You should know up front that I hate making
>> pie crust. Therefore, I bought a spelt crust, not because I cared
>> that it was spelt but because it seemed a bit larger than the
>> other crusts. When I went to use it, it was dry and crumbly,
>> almost like cardboard. Obviously there was no way I'd be able to
>> fit crust number 2 on top and then seal the edges. I might have
>> made a streusel topping, but I was almost out of sugar! So off I
>> went to buy some other crusts. I decided to get the store brand,
>> which at least had normal lard ahead of the bht-enhanced etc.
>> stuff in the list of ingredients. The directions said I could
>> heat it for 20-30 seconds at 30% power to expedite things. I
>> heated the first crust, and that went fairly well, with only a
>> couple of places sticking together. (WHY don't they roll it with
>> waxed paper???? Hmmm. I could make my own crust and then roll it
>> up like this WITH waxed paper--it's largely the transferring that
>> I hate when I make my own.) BUT the second crust, heated for less
>> time, got much too soft and totally stuck together. What to do?
>> I rolled it out using a bottle that was in the fridge and then
>> stuck it in the fridge for a while. Now I can only pray.
>>
>> The question is... is there anything one can do with that
>> crumbly, cardboard-like crust? Seems a shame to just waste it.
>> --
>> Jean B.

> You can always throw it out for the birds.

That is the last resort.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote:

> My blueberry pie is now in the oven, but there were a couple of
> mishaps on the way. You should know up front that I hate making
> pie crust. Therefore, I bought a spelt crust, not because I cared
> that it was spelt but because it seemed a bit larger than the
> other crusts. When I went to use it, it was dry and crumbly,
> almost like cardboard. Obviously there was no way I'd be able to
> fit crust number 2 on top and then seal the edges. I might have
> made a streusel topping, but I was almost out of sugar! So off I
> went to buy some other crusts. I decided to get the store brand,
> which at least had normal lard ahead of the bht-enhanced etc.
> stuff in the list of ingredients. The directions said I could
> heat it for 20-30 seconds at 30% power to expedite things. I
> heated the first crust, and that went fairly well, with only a
> couple of places sticking together. (WHY don't they roll it with
> waxed paper???? Hmmm. I could make my own crust and then roll it
> up like this WITH waxed paper--it's largely the transferring that
> I hate when I make my own.) BUT the second crust, heated for less
> time, got much too soft and totally stuck together. What to do?
> I rolled it out using a bottle that was in the fridge and then
> stuck it in the fridge for a while. Now I can only pray.
>
> The question is... is there anything one can do with that
> crumbly, cardboard-like crust? Seems a shame to just waste it.
> --
> Jean B.

I'm not familiar with that type of crust, but I'd think some custard
type pie filling might hold it together and moisten it a bit to make it
useable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
> "Jean B." wrote:
>> My blueberry pie is now in the oven, but there were a couple of
>> mishaps on the way. You should know up front that I hate making
>> pie crust. Therefore, I bought a spelt crust, not because I cared
>> that it was spelt but because it seemed a bit larger than the
>> other crusts. When I went to use it, it was dry and crumbly,
>> almost like cardboard. Obviously there was no way I'd be able to
>> fit crust number 2 on top and then seal the edges. I might have
>> made a streusel topping, but I was almost out of sugar! So off I
>> went to buy some other crusts. I decided to get the store brand,
>> which at least had normal lard ahead of the bht-enhanced etc.
>> stuff in the list of ingredients. The directions said I could
>> heat it for 20-30 seconds at 30% power to expedite things. I
>> heated the first crust, and that went fairly well, with only a
>> couple of places sticking together. (WHY don't they roll it with
>> waxed paper???? Hmmm. I could make my own crust and then roll it
>> up like this WITH waxed paper--it's largely the transferring that
>> I hate when I make my own.) BUT the second crust, heated for less
>> time, got much too soft and totally stuck together. What to do?
>> I rolled it out using a bottle that was in the fridge and then
>> stuck it in the fridge for a while. Now I can only pray.
>>
>> The question is... is there anything one can do with that
>> crumbly, cardboard-like crust? Seems a shame to just waste it.
>> --
>> Jean B.

> I'm not familiar with that type of crust, but I'd think some custard
> type pie filling might hold it together and moisten it a bit to make it
> useable.

It is now in pieces. I am no thinking of putting it back together
again.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> My blueberry pie is now in the oven, but there were a couple of mishaps on
> the way. You should know up front that I hate making pie crust.
> Therefore, I bought a spelt crust, not because I cared that it was spelt
> but because it seemed a bit larger than the other crusts. When I went to
> use it, it was dry and crumbly, almost like cardboard. Obviously there
> was no way I'd be able to fit crust number 2 on top and then seal the
> edges. I might have made a streusel topping, but I was almost out of
> sugar! So off I went to buy some other crusts. I decided to get the
> store brand, which at least had normal lard ahead of the bht-enhanced etc.
> stuff in the list of ingredients. The directions said I could heat it for
> 20-30 seconds at 30% power to expedite things. I heated the first crust,
> and that went fairly well, with only a couple of places sticking together.
> (WHY don't they roll it with waxed paper???? Hmmm. I could make my own
> crust and then roll it up like this WITH waxed paper--it's largely the
> transferring that I hate when I make my own.) BUT the second crust,
> heated for less time, got much too soft and totally stuck together. What
> to do? I rolled it out using a bottle that was in the fridge and then
> stuck it in the fridge for a while. Now I can only pray.
>
> The question is... is there anything one can do with that crumbly,
> cardboard-like crust? Seems a shame to just waste it.
> --
> Jean B.

Could you lay the pieces out on a cookie sheet, baste melted butter on them,
sprinkle them with sugar and cinnamon and then bake until golden brown?
That's what we used to do with leftover pie crust scraps when I was a kid.
Yum!

Jinx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote:

> Pete C. wrote:
> > "Jean B." wrote:
> >> My blueberry pie is now in the oven, but there were a couple of
> >> mishaps on the way. You should know up front that I hate making
> >> pie crust. Therefore, I bought a spelt crust, not because I cared
> >> that it was spelt but because it seemed a bit larger than the
> >> other crusts. When I went to use it, it was dry and crumbly,
> >> almost like cardboard. Obviously there was no way I'd be able to
> >> fit crust number 2 on top and then seal the edges. I might have
> >> made a streusel topping, but I was almost out of sugar! So off I
> >> went to buy some other crusts. I decided to get the store brand,
> >> which at least had normal lard ahead of the bht-enhanced etc.
> >> stuff in the list of ingredients. The directions said I could
> >> heat it for 20-30 seconds at 30% power to expedite things. I
> >> heated the first crust, and that went fairly well, with only a
> >> couple of places sticking together. (WHY don't they roll it with
> >> waxed paper???? Hmmm. I could make my own crust and then roll it
> >> up like this WITH waxed paper--it's largely the transferring that
> >> I hate when I make my own.) BUT the second crust, heated for less
> >> time, got much too soft and totally stuck together. What to do?
> >> I rolled it out using a bottle that was in the fridge and then
> >> stuck it in the fridge for a while. Now I can only pray.
> >>
> >> The question is... is there anything one can do with that
> >> crumbly, cardboard-like crust? Seems a shame to just waste it.
> >> --
> >> Jean B.

> > I'm not familiar with that type of crust, but I'd think some custard
> > type pie filling might hold it together and moisten it a bit to make it
> > useable.

> It is now in pieces. I am no thinking of putting it back together
> again.

Ok then, add my vote for the bird food option...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 18:31:14 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

>The question is... is there anything one can do with that
>crumbly, cardboard-like crust? Seems a shame to just waste it.

Make pie crust cookies... but add some moisture first.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jinx Minx wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> My blueberry pie is now in the oven, but there were a couple of mishaps on
>> the way. You should know up front that I hate making pie crust.
>> Therefore, I bought a spelt crust, not because I cared that it was spelt
>> but because it seemed a bit larger than the other crusts. When I went to
>> use it, it was dry and crumbly, almost like cardboard. Obviously there
>> was no way I'd be able to fit crust number 2 on top and then seal the
>> edges. I might have made a streusel topping, but I was almost out of
>> sugar! So off I went to buy some other crusts. I decided to get the
>> store brand, which at least had normal lard ahead of the bht-enhanced etc.
>> stuff in the list of ingredients. The directions said I could heat it for
>> 20-30 seconds at 30% power to expedite things. I heated the first crust,
>> and that went fairly well, with only a couple of places sticking together.
>> (WHY don't they roll it with waxed paper???? Hmmm. I could make my own
>> crust and then roll it up like this WITH waxed paper--it's largely the
>> transferring that I hate when I make my own.) BUT the second crust,
>> heated for less time, got much too soft and totally stuck together. What
>> to do? I rolled it out using a bottle that was in the fridge and then
>> stuck it in the fridge for a while. Now I can only pray.
>>
>> The question is... is there anything one can do with that crumbly,
>> cardboard-like crust? Seems a shame to just waste it.
>> --
>> Jean B.

> Could you lay the pieces out on a cookie sheet, baste melted butter on them,
> sprinkle them with sugar and cinnamon and then bake until golden brown?
> That's what we used to do with leftover pie crust scraps when I was a kid.
> Yum!
>
> Jinx

Having done a quick search, this looked like the most plausible
thing to do. Thanks for the confirmation.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 18:31:14 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> The question is... is there anything one can do with that
>> crumbly, cardboard-like crust? Seems a shame to just waste it.

> Make pie crust cookies... but add some moisture first.

I will see what condition it is in today. I tried adding a bit of
moisture to one crust, so maybe the whole absorbed that to some
degree. I think freeform cookies are possible. If I don't like
them, the birds and squirrels will.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> My blueberry pie is now in the oven, but there were a couple of mishaps on
> the way. You should know up front that I hate making pie crust.
> Therefore, I bought a spelt crust, not because I cared that it was spelt
> but because it seemed a bit larger than the other crusts. When I went to
> use it, it was dry and crumbly, almost like cardboard. Obviously there
> was no way I'd be able to fit crust number 2 on top and then seal the
> edges. I might have made a streusel topping, but I was almost out of
> sugar! So off I went to buy some other crusts. I decided to get the
> store brand, which at least had normal lard ahead of the bht-enhanced etc.
> stuff in the list of ingredients. The directions said I could heat it for
> 20-30 seconds at 30% power to expedite things. I heated the first crust,
> and that went fairly well, with only a couple of places sticking together.
> (WHY don't they roll it with waxed paper???? Hmmm. I could make my own
> crust and then roll it up like this WITH waxed paper--it's largely the
> transferring that I hate when I make my own.) BUT the second crust,
> heated for less time, got much too soft and totally stuck together. What
> to do? I rolled it out using a bottle that was in the fridge and then
> stuck it in the fridge for a while. Now I can only pray.
>
> The question is... is there anything one can do with that crumbly,
> cardboard-like crust? Seems a shame to just waste it.
> --
> Jean B.

Maybe heated with some macerated berries with a scoop of ice cream?

Jon