Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Almond crust that's not crumbly

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,
: "W. Baker" > wrote:

: > Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: > : Does anyone have a recipe? If I don't hear any good suggestions I think
: > : I'll just make an almond meal / sweetener / butter crust with a beaten
: > : egg mixed in.
: >
: > : I want the crust to make a base that will hold together on top of which
: > : I can put fruit and some kind of glaze. The whole thing won't be
: > : low-carb per se, but I figure I can lowER the carbs by making the pastry
: > : base with almond meal. Plus I like the taste. :-)
: >
: > : I've got these ripe peaches in the fridge, see, and there are
: > : blueberries.....
: >
: > : PP, T2
: >
: > I have no idea of the amount of each ingredients in this recipe I saw on
: > the Lydia program today, but she maintains it somes out a chewy crust with
: > a peach tart she made. It was toasted almonds, sugar, cocoa, a little
: > flour, egg white all whapped p in the food processor. the texture when
: > she took it out was pliable adn well stuck together adn she was able to
: > hold the whole lump in her hands before pressign it into the tart pan.
: > You might try er website which usually has the current eek's recipes on
: > it. I think the almonds may well have been closer to nut butter than
: > crumbs, but with my vision, I couldn't swear.
: >
: > the tart looked lovely with large peach quaters or 6ths withthe skin on
: > all kind of standing up in the tart. she did do a preliminary light cook
: > in a sugar-water solution to get a bit of caramelization, but tht might
: > well be skipped or done with an artificial sweetener.
: >
: > I love her show, although much of the food is qute impossible for me
: > eithe rfor diabetes or kosher reaasons. Why is there cheese inm so many
: > meat dishes!!!!

: Thanks, Wendy! That sounds good. Lydia who?

: PP

Lidia Bastianisch(sp?) she is a restauranteur(se) in NYC and has a great
TV cooking show on public television. He websit, si, I believe idia's
Italy.com which is the title of her current book and series(she has done
several of both). Not ti i in Lidia.

If that is not the web site I might try gooling on Lidia and see if you
get something adn not too amny.

Wendy