Karen Wheless

Default Stockpot

I've been wanting to buy a stockpot with a pasta insert - primarily for
cooking pasta, but I also want something decent enough to reheat soup or
heat up some pasta sauce, simple things like that. My last stockpot
finally had to be tossed and I'd like a replacement, and I'd like the
pasta insert.

However, my budget is limited, and spending All Clad prices or even Bed
Bath & Beyond prices for something that's mostly for boiling water seems
like a waste. But my last stockpot was so flimsy and thin on the bottom
that it was pretty useless - it even rusted on the bottom by the end.
So I want something that has some quality to it, even if it's not a
premium brand.

I haven't found anything locally at a decent price (the only thing
available seems to be $100+), so I've been checking ebay for bargains.
I've come across quite a few sets (stockpot plus insert plus steamer in
some cases) at fairly good prices. But some of the brands are ones I'm
not familiar with - they all seem to be 18/10 stainless, mostly with a
disc bottom, but that can cover a lot of quality levels.

Is anyone familiar with the cookware made by Williams-Sonoma (under
their own name) or Crate & Barrel (also under their own name)? How
about "Command Performance" which is an HSN brand? Or Dansk? These all
seem to show up fairly frequently on ebay. (I'm hoping to find a
bargain on Calphalon but it seems to be going for a bit more than I can
afford.)

Thanks,
Karen
Vox Humana

"Karen Wheless" > wrote in message
> I've been wanting to buy a stockpot with a pasta insert - primarily for
> cooking pasta, but I also want something decent enough to reheat soup or
> heat up some pasta sauce, simple things like that. My last stockpot
> finally had to be tossed and I'd like a replacement, and I'd like the
> pasta insert.
>
> However, my budget is limited, and spending All Clad prices or even Bed
> Bath & Beyond prices for something that's mostly for boiling water seems
> like a waste. But my last stockpot was so flimsy and thin on the bottom
> that it was pretty useless - it even rusted on the bottom by the end.
> So I want something that has some quality to it, even if it's not a
> premium brand.
>
> I haven't found anything locally at a decent price (the only thing
> available seems to be $100+), so I've been checking ebay for bargains.
> I've come across quite a few sets (stockpot plus insert plus steamer in
> some cases) at fairly good prices. But some of the brands are ones I'm
> not familiar with - they all seem to be 18/10 stainless, mostly with a
> disc bottom, but that can cover a lot of quality levels.
>
> Is anyone familiar with the cookware made by Williams-Sonoma (under
> their own name) or Crate & Barrel (also under their own name)? How
> about "Command Performance" which is an HSN brand? Or Dansk? These all
> seem to show up fairly frequently on ebay. (I'm hoping to find a
> bargain on Calphalon but it seems to be going for a bit more than I can
> afford.)

I have the Wolfgang Puck stock pot with pasta insert from HSN. It is very
sturdy and has a thick disk on the bottom and heats very evenly. It is on
sale now for under $30. I bought one for someone as a gift after they
admired mine. Take a look he http://tinyurl.com/p9eb

Remsleep

"Karen Wheless" > wrote in message
> I've been wanting to buy a stockpot with a pasta insert - primarily for
> cooking pasta, but I also want something decent enough to reheat soup or
> heat up some pasta sauce, simple things like that. My last stockpot
> finally had to be tossed and I'd like a replacement, and I'd like the
> pasta insert.

FWIW, I bought a no-name, made in Korea, disk-bottomed, SS 12Qt. stockpot at
my local kitchen store for less than $50 a few years ago. It's worked
beautifully. The same store also sells the mesh-style pasta inserts for
about $24. I wouldn't be afraid of no-name cookware, especially for
something that's just going to boil water. You might want to try
Marshall's/TJX/Tuesday Morning, etc. for what you need.

Good luck.

Remsleep

Debbie Deutsch

(Karen Wheless) wrote in
:

> I've been wanting to buy a stockpot with a pasta insert - primarily
> for cooking pasta, but I also want something decent enough to reheat
> soup or heat up some pasta sauce, simple things like that. My last
> stockpot finally had to be tossed and I'd like a replacement, and I'd
> like the pasta insert.
>
> However, my budget is limited, and spending All Clad prices or even
> Bed Bath & Beyond prices for something that's mostly for boiling water
> seems like a waste. But my last stockpot was so flimsy and thin on
> the bottom that it was pretty useless - it even rusted on the bottom
> by the end. So I want something that has some quality to it, even if
> it's not a premium brand.
>
> I haven't found anything locally at a decent price (the only thing
> available seems to be $100+), so I've been checking ebay for bargains.
> I've come across quite a few sets (stockpot plus insert plus steamer
> in some cases) at fairly good prices. But some of the brands are ones
> I'm not familiar with - they all seem to be 18/10 stainless, mostly
> with a disc bottom, but that can cover a lot of quality levels.
>
> Is anyone familiar with the cookware made by Williams-Sonoma (under
> their own name) or Crate & Barrel (also under their own name)? How
> about "Command Performance" which is an HSN brand? Or Dansk? These
> all seem to show up fairly frequently on ebay. (I'm hoping to find a
> bargain on Calphalon but it seems to be going for a bit more than I
> can afford.)
>
> Thanks,
> Karen

I would skip the Dansk - everything I have seen in their stores looks
more like it is made for style than good cooking performance. I'd be
much more willing to trust a Williams-Sonoma house brand. However, if
something shows up a lot on ebay, perhaps there is a reason.

I have a pot that is exactly what you are looking for, and it cost much
less than $100. I bought it at Costco several years ago and it has held
up perfectly. You can probably find something equivalent there or at
Sam's Club or BJ's. The only thing I have against it is that the
interior is not machined completely smooth, so it is a little more work
to clean up.

OTOH, for $99 you can get the made-in-China stainless steel All-Clad
(disk on bottom, no cladding on the sides) 12-quart pasta pot with
insert. I have seen it in the store and it will last forever. I didn't
need it, because I have my Costco pot. I *did* buy the 16-quart model
(no insert) for making stock. (I like to make my own stock with no salt
and keep it on hand in the freezer. I end up with maybe 4 quarts out of
that 16-quart stockpot. I love it.)

FWIW, it really pays to buy cookware "in person" especially if you are
not familiar with the specific product line. It is hard to tell quality
from a picture. There is nothing like hefting the pan, feeling the
handles in your hand, checking the fit of the lid, etc.

If you don't already have a nice 2-quart or 3-quart saucepan, and you
can get a good buy on the stockpot, you might consider a saucepan too.
That's much better for reheating (less clean-up, won't lose so much
water) a few portions of soup or pasta sauce than a big stockpot.

Debbie

--
Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a
throw-away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if
Debbie Deutsch

Debbie Deutsch > wrote in
. 71.230:

> OTOH, for $99 you can get the made-in-China stainless steel All-Clad
> (disk on bottom, no cladding on the sides) 12-quart pasta pot with
> insert. I have seen it in the store and it will last forever. I
> didn't need it, because I have my Costco pot. I *did* buy the
> 16-quart model (no insert) for making stock. (I like to make my own
> stock with no salt and keep it on hand in the freezer. I end up with
> maybe 4 quarts out of that 16-quart stockpot. I love it.)

Oops! Typo! I meant to say that I end up with maybe 8 quarts of stock
or broth out of that 16-quart stockpot. It is lovingly referred to as
"the vat" (as in "Today is a good day to brew a vat of chicken stock.").

--
Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a
throw-away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if
and when it is found by spammers.

Karen Wheless

> FWIW, it really pays to buy cookware "in person" especially if you are
> not familiar with the specific product line. It is hard to tell quality
> from a picture. There is nothing like hefting the pan, feeling the
> handles in your hand, checking the fit of the lid, etc.
>
> If you don't already have a nice 2-quart or 3-quart saucepan, and you
> can get a good buy on the stockpot, you might consider a saucepan too.
> That's much better for reheating (less clean-up, won't lose so much
> water) a few portions of soup or pasta sauce than a big stockpot.

Thanks for the help - I'm leaning toward the Williams-Sonoma one right
now, if I don't find anything better. I've been frustrated with the
selection in local stores - everything is either very expensive or very
cheap. I don't think availability on ebay really means anything - you
find plenty of excellent brands on ebay. I miss Costco - I dropped my
membership for financial reasons but sometimes they had great things
that aren't available elsewhere. But their cookware selection had
become pretty limited by the time I left, at least at our local store.

I already have some nice smaller pieces, including two smaller saucepans
that I use most of the time (even for pasta, since I'm often cooking for
one), and a Le Creuset dutch oven that I use for most soups, stocks,
etc. But if I'm making a large batch of pasta, sometimes it's easier to
heat up the sauce in the same pan instead of washing two pans (with no
dishwasher, I've grown to loathe dishwashing and I'll do most anything
to avoid washing an extra pan). Sometimes I want to heat up a huge
quantity of soup for some reason. So I need a big stockpot. Most of
the time it will be just for pasta, but I don't want to buy a pan that's
too flimsy to use occasionally for those other things. But I don't want
to spend $100 on a pan I won't use that often. I can think of too many
other things I'd like to have!

Karen

Michael Harp

On 9/30/03 23:32, in article ,
"Karen Wheless" > wrote:

>> FWIW, it really pays to buy cookware "in person" especially if you are
>> not familiar with the specific product line. It is hard to tell quality
>> from a picture. There is nothing like hefting the pan, feeling the
>> handles in your hand, checking the fit of the lid, etc.
>>
>> If you don't already have a nice 2-quart or 3-quart saucepan, and you
>> can get a good buy on the stockpot, you might consider a saucepan too.
>> That's much better for reheating (less clean-up, won't lose so much
>> water) a few portions of soup or pasta sauce than a big stockpot.

> Thanks for the help - I'm leaning toward the Williams-Sonoma one right
> now, if I don't find anything better. I've been frustrated with the
> selection in local stores - everything is either very expensive or very
> cheap. I don't think availability on ebay really means anything - you
> find plenty of excellent brands on ebay. I miss Costco - I dropped my
> membership for financial reasons but sometimes they had great things
> that aren't available elsewhere. But their cookware selection had
> become pretty limited by the time I left, at least at our local store.
>
> I already have some nice smaller pieces, including two smaller saucepans
> that I use most of the time (even for pasta, since I'm often cooking for
> one), and a Le Creuset dutch oven that I use for most soups, stocks,
> etc. But if I'm making a large batch of pasta, sometimes it's easier to
> heat up the sauce in the same pan instead of washing two pans (with no
> dishwasher, I've grown to loathe dishwashing and I'll do most anything
> to avoid washing an extra pan). Sometimes I want to heat up a huge
> quantity of soup for some reason. So I need a big stockpot. Most of
> the time it will be just for pasta, but I don't want to buy a pan that's
> too flimsy to use occasionally for those other things. But I don't want
> to spend $100 on a pan I won't use that often. I can think of too many
> other things I'd like to have!
>
> Karen

Whatever you buy at WS you will be paying more than you need to, unless it's
a clearance item. WS is not a place for bargains - their margins are
typically in the 55-60% range. Go with the advice others are giving you
here...
--
Michael Harp
http://CopperPans.com

Vox Humana

"Karen Wheless" > wrote in message
m...
> > FWIW, it really pays to buy cookware "in person" especially if you are
> > not familiar with the specific product line. It is hard to tell quality
> > from a picture. There is nothing like hefting the pan, feeling the
> > handles in your hand, checking the fit of the lid, etc.
> >
> > If you don't already have a nice 2-quart or 3-quart saucepan, and you
> > can get a good buy on the stockpot, you might consider a saucepan too.
> > That's much better for reheating (less clean-up, won't lose so much
> > water) a few portions of soup or pasta sauce than a big stockpot.

> Thanks for the help - I'm leaning toward the Williams-Sonoma one right
> now, if I don't find anything better. I've been frustrated with the
> selection in local stores - everything is either very expensive or very
> cheap. I don't think availability on ebay really means anything - you
> find plenty of excellent brands on ebay. I miss Costco - I dropped my
> membership for financial reasons but sometimes they had great things
> that aren't available elsewhere. But their cookware selection had
> become pretty limited by the time I left, at least at our local store.

WS lists their disk bottom 8 qt. stock pot at $49 with $10 shipping. HSN
lists the WP 8qt. multipot with bonus pasta spoon at $30 with $7 shipping.
You could just about pay for a Costco membership with the difference in
price between the two items.

Sheellah

The Cusinart Multiclad line has an very nice 8 quart stockpot with both a pasta
and steamer insert. It's a heavyweight tri-ply fully clad construction like
All-Clad. Great looking, and about $80 I think at Amazon.

DawnK

"Debbie Deutsch" > wrote in message
. 71.230...
> Debbie Deutsch > wrote in
> . 71.230:
>
> > OTOH, for $99 you can get the made-in-China stainless steel All-Clad
> > (disk on bottom, no cladding on the sides) 12-quart pasta pot with
> > insert. I have seen it in the store and it will last forever. I
> > didn't need it, because I have my Costco pot. I *did* buy the
> > 16-quart model (no insert) for making stock. (I like to make my own
> > stock with no salt and keep it on hand in the freezer. I end up with
> > maybe 4 quarts out of that 16-quart stockpot. I love it.)

> Oops! Typo! I meant to say that I end up with maybe 8 quarts of stock
> or broth out of that 16-quart stockpot. It is lovingly referred to as
> "the vat" (as in "Today is a good day to brew a vat of chicken stock.").
>
> --
> Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a
> throw-away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if
> and when it is found by spammers.

I would so love to have a day to make chicken stock, but between working and
moving my grandmother to assisted living, I haven't had a chicken-stock sort
of day since it got cool enough to want soup. Unfortunately, all the fancy
pots in the world can't create time for you.

Dawn

Debbie Deutsch

"DawnK" > wrote in
:

> "Debbie Deutsch" > wrote in message
> . 71.230...
>> Debbie Deutsch > wrote in
>> . 71.230:
>>
>> > OTOH, for $99 you can get the made-in-China stainless steel
>> > All-Clad (disk on bottom, no cladding on the sides) 12-quart pasta
>> > pot with insert. I have seen it in the store and it will last
>> > forever. I didn't need it, because I have my Costco pot. I *did*
>> > buy the 16-quart model (no insert) for making stock. (I like to
>> > make my own stock with no salt and keep it on hand in the freezer.
>> > I end up with maybe 4 quarts out of that 16-quart stockpot. I love
>> > it.)

>> Oops! Typo! I meant to say that I end up with maybe 8 quarts of
>> stock or broth out of that 16-quart stockpot. It is lovingly
>> referred to as "the vat" (as in "Today is a good day to brew a vat of
>> chicken stock.").
>>
>> --
>> Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a
>> throw-away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another
>> if and when it is found by spammers.

> I would so love to have a day to make chicken stock, but between
> working and moving my grandmother to assisted living, I haven't had a
> chicken-stock sort of day since it got cool enough to want soup.
> Unfortunately, all the fancy pots in the world can't create time for
> you.
>
> Dawn

Agreed! One silver lining to being out of work (there are several) is
time. However, even when working sometimes I managed to make stock by
setting it simmering in the evening and straining and cooling it in the
morning. I would ladle the broth into some 4-quart foodservice
containers and refrigerate them. The dregs from the bottom of the
stockpot get poured through a strainer, colander, or chinois (depending
on the size of the batch, what is at hand, etc. and cooled in a separate
container, since this portion is always somewhat cloudy. Later that day
it is simply a matter of lifting the congealed fat off the stock, and
pouring it into smaller containers (I use 1-quart cheapie plastic
containers) and popping them into the freezer.

Today (damp and chilly in the 50's) is a chicken stock day but I am
running all over town shopping for a home renovation project.

Debbie

--
Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a
throw-away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if
and when it is found by spammers.
Rick & Cyndi

"DawnK"
<snip>
: I would so love to have a day to make chicken stock, but
between working and
: moving my grandmother to assisted living, I haven't had a
chicken-stock sort
: of day since it got cool enough to want soup. Unfortunately,
all the fancy
: pots in the world can't create time for you.
:
: Dawn
:
: ==========

Isn't that the truth!

Chicken was on sale just the other week and I thought I really
should get some and do something with it... I have the same "no
time" problem.

Perhaps this weekend I can get a couple of soups going while I'm
busy with my Christmas projects. This year "they're" getting
pajamas! I've already made 1 robe, 1 nightgown and the fabic cut
for a blouse (SIL's birthday is the week before Christmas)...
Crud - it's October already... gotta get busy...

Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Vox Humana

"DawnK" > wrote in message

> "Debbie Deutsch" > wrote in message
> . 71.230...
> > Debbie Deutsch > wrote in
> > . 71.230:
> >
> > > OTOH, for $99 you can get the made-in-China stainless steel All-Clad
> > > (disk on bottom, no cladding on the sides) 12-quart pasta pot with
> > > insert. I have seen it in the store and it will last forever. I
> > > didn't need it, because I have my Costco pot. I *did* buy the
> > > 16-quart model (no insert) for making stock. (I like to make my own
> > > stock with no salt and keep it on hand in the freezer. I end up with
> > > maybe 4 quarts out of that 16-quart stockpot. I love it.)

> > Oops! Typo! I meant to say that I end up with maybe 8 quarts of stock
> > or broth out of that 16-quart stockpot. It is lovingly referred to as
> > "the vat" (as in "Today is a good day to brew a vat of chicken stock.").
> >
> > --
> > Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a
> > throw-away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if
> > and when it is found by spammers.

> I would so love to have a day to make chicken stock, but between working

and
> moving my grandmother to assisted living, I haven't had a chicken-stock

sort
> of day since it got cool enough to want soup. Unfortunately, all the

fancy
> pots in the world can't create time for you.

You can save time by making stock in a pressure cooker. (Would that count
as a fancy pot that can create time? )
It will need to be reduced to the level of concentration you desire, but
you can cut a lot of time off the process by using a PC.

Kate Dicey

DawnK wrote:

> I would so love to have a day to make chicken stock, but between working and
> moving my grandmother to assisted living, I haven't had a chicken-stock sort
> of day since it got cool enough to want soup. Unfortunately, all the fancy
> pots in the world can't create time for you.
>
> Dawn

This is when a large pressure cooker comes in handy. Stock in 15
minutes! Such a useful item that I have two.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Karen Wheless

> I would so love to have a day to make chicken stock, but between working and
> moving my grandmother to assisted living, I haven't had a chicken-stock sort
> of day since it got cool enough to want soup. Unfortunately, all the fancy
> pots in the world can't create time for you.

I make mine in the crockpot most of the time, unless I have a really big
chicken or a turkey. It's very little work - I just throw the meat or
carcass into the crockpot and add water, then come back 8-10 hours
later. After I strain the stock into a large bowl, I throw it in the
fridge overnight. Skim off the fat the next day and scoop it into
freezer containers. Total work time is only about 5 minutes.

I love having frozen stock - it comes in handy for so many recipes, and
I can make a fast soup with cooked chicken (I chop that up and freeze it
too), some noodles, a few veggies and thawed chicken stock. Great for
those "no time but really want homemade soup" days.

I tried the pressure cooker but I like the taste of crockpot stock
better.

Karen

Michael Harp

On 10/1/03 19:29, in article ,
"Karen Wheless" > wrote:

>> I would so love to have a day to make chicken stock, but between working and
>> moving my grandmother to assisted living, I haven't had a chicken-stock sort
>> of day since it got cool enough to want soup. Unfortunately, all the fancy
>> pots in the world can't create time for you.

> I make mine in the crockpot most of the time, unless I have a really big
> chicken or a turkey. It's very little work - I just throw the meat or
> carcass into the crockpot and add water, then come back 8-10 hours
> later. After I strain the stock into a large bowl, I throw it in the
> fridge overnight. Skim off the fat the next day and scoop it into
> freezer containers. Total work time is only about 5 minutes.
>
> I love having frozen stock - it comes in handy for so many recipes, and
> I can make a fast soup with cooked chicken (I chop that up and freeze it
> too), some noodles, a few veggies and thawed chicken stock. Great for
> those "no time but really want homemade soup" days.
>
> I tried the pressure cooker but I like the taste of crockpot stock
> better.
>
> Karen

Where can you find a crock pot big enough to make a respectable amount of
stock? I agree with you about PC stock - the best flavors are developed
over a very low simmer for extended periods. Hyper-boiling seems
counter-intuitive to the whole process. I like to accumulate carcasses and
bones in freezer and make large quantities... Making a proper stock doesn't
require a lot of attention - just an occasional skimming. I then freeze
smaller qtys in pint or quart freezer bags. What better thing to do on
Sunday?
--
Michael Harp
http://CopperPans.com

Karen Wheless

> Where can you find a crock pot big enough to make a respectable amount of
> stock? I agree with you about PC stock - the best flavors are developed
> over a very low simmer for extended periods. Hyper-boiling seems
> counter-intuitive to the whole process. I like to accumulate carcasses and
> bones in freezer and make large quantities... Making a proper stock doesn't
> require a lot of attention - just an occasional skimming. I then freeze
> smaller qtys in pint or quart freezer bags. What better thing to do on
> Sunday?

You can't really make huge amounts in the crockpot. My crockpot (which
is fairly small) will hold one roasting chicken carcass. One of the
larger oval-shaped ones would probably hold two. But I don't have huge
amounts of freezer space either so it's plenty for me. One crock pot
full will make about 2-3 quarts of rich stock.

Even though it doesn't require a "lot" of attention to make stock on the
stove, you do have to babysit it - especially if you have an erratic
stove like mine (prone to suddenly jump from low to high on a whim, or
the flame to blow out completely without warning - one disadvantage of
cheap apartments with crappy stoves). That's why I like the crockpot, I
don't have to jump up and check it every half hour.

Karen
Vox Humana

,
> "Karen Wheless" > wrote:
>
> >> I would so love to have a day to make chicken stock, but between

working and
> >> moving my grandmother to assisted living, I haven't had a chicken-stock

sort
> >> of day since it got cool enough to want soup. Unfortunately, all the

fancy
> >> pots in the world can't create time for you.

> > I make mine in the crockpot most of the time, unless I have a really big
> > chicken or a turkey. It's very little work - I just throw the meat or
> > carcass into the crockpot and add water, then come back 8-10 hours
> > later. After I strain the stock into a large bowl, I throw it in the
> > fridge overnight. Skim off the fat the next day and scoop it into
> > freezer containers. Total work time is only about 5 minutes.
> >
> > I love having frozen stock - it comes in handy for so many recipes, and
> > I can make a fast soup with cooked chicken (I chop that up and freeze it
> > too), some noodles, a few veggies and thawed chicken stock. Great for
> > those "no time but really want homemade soup" days.
> >
> > I tried the pressure cooker but I like the taste of crockpot stock
> > better.
> >
> > Karen
> >

> Where can you find a crock pot big enough to make a respectable amount of
> stock?

Why couldn't you just put a large pot in the oven set at 300F and leave it
all day? It might be a good use for that waterless cookware with the tight
fitting lids!

Michael Harp

On 10/1/03 20:20, in article , "Vox
Humana" > wrote:

> "Michael Harp" > wrote in message
>> On 10/1/03 19:29, in article

> ,

> working and

> sort

> fancy
>>>
>>> I make mine in the crockpot most of the time, unless I have a really big
>>> chicken or a turkey. It's very little work - I just throw the meat or
>>> carcass into the crockpot and add water, then come back 8-10 hours
>>> later. After I strain the stock into a large bowl, I throw it in the
>>> fridge overnight. Skim off the fat the next day and scoop it into
>>> freezer containers. Total work time is only about 5 minutes.
>>>
>>> I love having frozen stock - it comes in handy for so many recipes, and
>>> I can make a fast soup with cooked chicken (I chop that up and freeze it
>>> too), some noodles, a few veggies and thawed chicken stock. Great for
>>> those "no time but really want homemade soup" days.
>>>
>>> I tried the pressure cooker but I like the taste of crockpot stock
>>> better.
>>>
>>> Karen
>>>

>> Where can you find a crock pot big enough to make a respectable amount of
>> stock?

> Why couldn't you just put a large pot in the oven set at 300F and leave it
> all day? It might be a good use for that waterless cookware with the tight
> fitting lids!

Better yet, 210F?? Waterless stock cooking - now there's a vitamin rich
idea...

Vox Humana

"Michael Harp" > wrote in message
> On 10/1/03 20:20, in article ,

"Vox
> Humana" > wrote:
>

> > "Michael Harp" > wrote in message
> >> On 10/1/03 19:29, in article

> > ,

> > working and

chicken-stock
> > sort

> > fancy

big

and

it

> >> Where can you find a crock pot big enough to make a respectable amount

of
> >> stock?

> > Why couldn't you just put a large pot in the oven set at 300F and leave

it
> > all day? It might be a good use for that waterless cookware with the

tight
> > fitting lids!
> >

> Better yet, 210F?? Waterless stock cooking - now there's a vitamin rich
> idea...

Furthermore, if you are going to make waterless stock you don't need a very
big pan.

Debbie Deutsch

Michael Harp > wrote in
:

> Better yet, 210F?? Waterless stock cooking - now there's a vitamin
> rich idea...

Early on in the waterless cookware thread, I googled "waterless cookware"
and found, among other things, a "waterless stockpot" for sale. Really.

For example, see this link.

http://www.shop72.com/stockpot.html

Sometimes life is indeed stranger than fiction.

--
Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a throw-
away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if and when
it is found by spammers.
DawnK

,
> "Karen Wheless" > wrote:
>
> >> I would so love to have a day to make chicken stock, but between

working and
> >> moving my grandmother to assisted living, I haven't had a chicken-stock

sort
> >> of day since it got cool enough to want soup. Unfortunately, all the

fancy
> >> pots in the world can't create time for you.

> > I make mine in the crockpot most of the time, unless I have a really big
> > chicken or a turkey. It's very little work - I just throw the meat or
> > carcass into the crockpot and add water, then come back 8-10 hours
> > later. After I strain the stock into a large bowl, I throw it in the
> > fridge overnight. Skim off the fat the next day and scoop it into
> > freezer containers. Total work time is only about 5 minutes.
> >
> > I love having frozen stock - it comes in handy for so many recipes, and
> > I can make a fast soup with cooked chicken (I chop that up and freeze it
> > too), some noodles, a few veggies and thawed chicken stock. Great for
> > those "no time but really want homemade soup" days.
> >
> > I tried the pressure cooker but I like the taste of crockpot stock
> > better.
> >
> > Karen
> >

> Where can you find a crock pot big enough to make a respectable amount of
> stock? I agree with you about PC stock - the best flavors are developed
> over a very low simmer for extended periods. Hyper-boiling seems
> counter-intuitive to the whole process. I like to accumulate carcasses

and
> bones in freezer and make large quantities... Making a proper stock

doesn't
> require a lot of attention - just an occasional skimming. I then freeze
> smaller qtys in pint or quart freezer bags. What better thing to do on
> Sunday?
> --
> Michael Harp
> http://CopperPans.com

It might be what I do on Sunday! Other than church, I don't have anything
on the schedule. We like to roast a chicken for supper, then I pick off the
meat and throw the carcass right into the stock pot on the stove, add
carrots, celery, and onions and an assortment of spices. Then it simmers
until I'm about ready to go to bed. It gets strained through cheesecloth
and put in the fridge. I can smell it already!

Dawn

Baldy Cotton

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>Early on in the waterless cookware thread, I googled "waterless cookware"
>and found, among other things, a "waterless stockpot" for sale. Really.
>
>http://www.shop72.com/stockpot.html
>
>Sometimes life is indeed stranger than fiction.

Oh, Dear, Dear, Dear. You just don't get it, do you...

"""30qt Precise Heat "Waterless" Stock Pot with steamer basket. Made of
5-ply surgical stainless steel, this highly polished large stock pot
lets you steam cook"""

With waterless stock, what you actually save is the "flavored steam"
instead of wasting so much water. Once collected, this steam, which you
can freeze in a zip-lock freezer bag, will keep the flavor and nutrition
of your vegetables for months. When needed, you just remove the
zip-lock bag from the freezer, empty the steam back into a soup pot and
add the rest of your ingredients.

Stay tuned for the next episode in adventures in waterless cooking when
we learn to use the waterless tea kettle.

Clarissa, <<- - the fat lady from BBC who isn't dead yet.
Vox Humana

"Baldy Cotton" > wrote in message
> Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
> >Early on in the waterless cookware thread, I googled "waterless cookware"
> >and found, among other things, a "waterless stockpot" for sale. Really.
> >
> >http://www.shop72.com/stockpot.html
> >
> >Sometimes life is indeed stranger than fiction.

> Oh, Dear, Dear, Dear. You just don't get it, do you...
>
> """30qt Precise Heat "Waterless" Stock Pot with steamer basket. Made of
> 5-ply surgical stainless steel, this highly polished large stock pot
> lets you steam cook"""
>
> With waterless stock, what you actually save is the "flavored steam"
> instead of wasting so much water. Once collected, this steam, which you
> can freeze in a zip-lock freezer bag, will keep the flavor and nutrition
> of your vegetables for months. When needed, you just remove the
> zip-lock bag from the freezer, empty the steam back into a soup pot and
> add the rest of your ingredients.
>
> Stay tuned for the next episode in adventures in waterless cooking when
> we learn to use the waterless tea kettle.
>
> Clarissa, <<- - the fat lady from BBC who isn't dead yet.

Waterless tea kettles are far superior to conventional kettles because they
never boil over and are safer because they prevent you from scolding
yourself. Waterless tea has a bolder texture, retains its essential oils
that can evaporate when exposed to hot water, and can be transported in you
pocket for enjoyment anywhere you go.

Debbie Deutsch

Baldy Cotton > wrote in
:

> Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>>Early on in the waterless cookware thread, I googled "waterless
>>cookware" and found, among other things, a "waterless stockpot" for
>>sale. Really.
>>
>>http://www.shop72.com/stockpot.html
>>
>>Sometimes life is indeed stranger than fiction.

> Oh, Dear, Dear, Dear. You just don't get it, do you...
>
> """30qt Precise Heat "Waterless" Stock Pot with steamer basket. Made
> of 5-ply surgical stainless steel, this highly polished large stock
> pot lets you steam cook"""
>
> With waterless stock, what you actually save is the "flavored steam"
> instead of wasting so much water. Once collected, this steam, which
> you can freeze in a zip-lock freezer bag, will keep the flavor and
> nutrition of your vegetables for months. When needed, you just remove
> the zip-lock bag from the freezer, empty the steam back into a soup
> pot and add the rest of your ingredients.
>
> Stay tuned for the next episode in adventures in waterless cooking
> when we learn to use the waterless tea kettle.
>
> Clarissa, <<- - the fat lady from BBC who isn't dead yet.

ROFL!!! I can't stop!! Oh my good lord!!!!

You just made my day, which had actually gone quite well as it is!

Debbie - who has all the Two Fat Ladies books (such fun to read and to
remember the episodes by)

--
Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a throw-
away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if and when
it is found by spammers.
H. W. Hans Kuntze

Debbie Deutsch wrote:

>Baldy Cotton > wrote in
:= 20
>[...]
>
>>Clarissa, <<- - the fat lady from BBC who isn't dead yet.
>>
>> =20
>>

>ROFL!!! I can't stop!! Oh my good lord!!!!
>
>You just made my day, which had actually gone quite well as it is!
>
>Debbie - who has all the Two Fat Ladies books (such fun to read and to=20
>remember the episodes by)

Actually their receipes are quite good too, Debbie.

They double handedly almost gave english food a good name. :-)

It shows they really care and understand food (provided they still are=20
alive) otherwise it would be understood if they now cook Manna.

--=20
Sincerly,

C=3D=A6-)=A7 H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
http://www.cmcchef.com ,
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/=20

Debbie Deutsch

"H. W. Hans Kuntze" > wrote in
s.com:

> Debbie Deutsch wrote:
>
>>Baldy Cotton > wrote in
m:
>>[...]
>>
>>>Clarissa, <<- - the fat lady from BBC who isn't dead yet.
>>>

>>ROFL!!! I can't stop!! Oh my good lord!!!!
>>
>>You just made my day, which had actually gone quite well as it is!
>>
>>Debbie - who has all the Two Fat Ladies books (such fun to read and to
>>remember the episodes by)
>>

> Actually their receipes are quite good too, Debbie.
>
> They double handedly almost gave english food a good name. :-)
>
> It shows they really care and understand food (provided they still are
> alive) otherwise it would be understood if they now cook Manna.

Unfortunately one of the Ladies (can't remember which) passed away a few
years ago. I loved their verve and enthusiasm for cooking and life in
general. Watching them shop for local produce, fish, and the like was
inspirational. I've not tried any of their recipes (they are definitely in
the cook only occasionally on grounds of abundence of calories, saturated
fat, etc.), but what they taught about ingredients and methods is probably
more valuable than any recipe in any of their books.

Debbie

--
Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a throw-
away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if and when
it is found by spammers.
Kate Dicey

"H. W. Hans Kuntze" wrote:

> Actually their receipes are quite good too, Debbie.
>
> They double handedly almost gave english food a good name. :-)
>
> It shows they really care and understand food (provided they still are
> alive) otherwise it would be understood if they now cook Manna.

Clarissa is still going strong, but Jennifer permanently shut her
kitchen door a couple of years back. She had lung cancer - smoked like
a kipper.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Bev

"Karen Wheless" > wrote in message
> I've been wanting to buy a stockpot with a pasta insert - primarily for
> cooking pasta, but I also want something decent enough to reheat soup or
> heat up some pasta sauce, simple things like that. My last stockpot
> finally had to be tossed and I'd like a replacement, and I'd like the
> pasta insert.
>
> However, my budget is limited, and spending All Clad prices or even Bed
> Bath & Beyond prices for something that's mostly for boiling water seems
> like a waste. But my last stockpot was so flimsy and thin on the bottom
> that it was pretty useless - it even rusted on the bottom by the end.
> So I want something that has some quality to it, even if it's not a
> premium brand.
>
> I haven't found anything locally at a decent price (the only thing
> available seems to be $100+), so I've been checking ebay for bargains.
> I've come across quite a few sets (stockpot plus insert plus steamer in
> some cases) at fairly good prices. But some of the brands are ones I'm
> not familiar with - they all seem to be 18/10 stainless, mostly with a
> disc bottom, but that can cover a lot of quality levels.
>
> Is anyone familiar with the cookware made by Williams-Sonoma (under
> their own name) or Crate & Barrel (also under their own name)? How
> about "Command Performance" which is an HSN brand? Or Dansk? These all
> seem to show up fairly frequently on ebay. (I'm hoping to find a
> bargain on Calphalon but it seems to be going for a bit more than I can
> afford.)

Karen,

Cuisinart seems to be closing out their Chef's classic line - Amazon has
all kinds of pots at great prices. You can get a 12 quart stockpot for
$35.00 with free shipping. I have had a small Cuisinart for years and just
purchased a wonderful 5.5 quart sauté pan for only $39.99. They have a
pasta insert which fits a 9 quart pot but oddly don't have a 9 quart pot
available.

That said, I have used a pasta insert and wasn't pleased. In my case, I
still had to carry the whole pot full of water and insert to the sink to
avoid all the drips the pasta insert makes. I'd just as soon drain it and
be done with it. Plus, the hot water helps clean out my kitchen drain.

Bev C

Vox Humana

"Bev" > wrote in message

> Karen,
>
> Cuisinart seems to be closing out their Chef's classic line - Amazon has
> all kinds of pots at great prices. You can get a 12 quart stockpot for
> $35.00 with free shipping. I have had a small Cuisinart for years and

just
> purchased a wonderful 5.5 quart sauté pan for only $39.99. They have a
> pasta insert which fits a 9 quart pot but oddly don't have a 9 quart pot
> available.
>
> That said, I have used a pasta insert and wasn't pleased. In my case, I
> still had to carry the whole pot full of water and insert to the sink to
> avoid all the drips the pasta insert makes. I'd just as soon drain it and
> be done with it. Plus, the hot water helps clean out my kitchen drain.

I hear you about the dripping from the pasta insert. One advantage to the
insert is that you can remove the pasta and then make another batch without
having to bring a new pot of water to a boil. That may not be an issue if
you don't make serial batches of pasta. I generally start the pot with a
lid on to speed up boiling. I use the lid to catch the drips on the way to
the sink.

Michael Harp

On 10/3/03 13:56, in article , "Vox
Humana" > wrote:

> "Bev" > wrote in message
>>

>> Karen,
>>
>> Cuisinart seems to be closing out their Chef's classic line - Amazon has
>> all kinds of pots at great prices. You can get a 12 quart stockpot for
>> $35.00 with free shipping. I have had a small Cuisinart for years and

> just
>> purchased a wonderful 5.5 quart sauté pan for only $39.99. They have a
>> pasta insert which fits a 9 quart pot but oddly don't have a 9 quart pot
>> available.
>>
>> That said, I have used a pasta insert and wasn't pleased. In my case, I
>> still had to carry the whole pot full of water and insert to the sink to
>> avoid all the drips the pasta insert makes. I'd just as soon drain it and
>> be done with it. Plus, the hot water helps clean out my kitchen drain.
>>

> I hear you about the dripping from the pasta insert. One advantage to the
> insert is that you can remove the pasta and then make another batch without
> having to bring a new pot of water to a boil. That may not be an issue if
> you don't make serial batches of pasta. I generally start the pot with a
> lid on to speed up boiling. I use the lid to catch the drips on the way to
> the sink.

Why are y'all going to the sink anyway?? Surely you're not serving it
there... :-)

--
Michael Harp
http://CopperPans.com

Vox Humana

"Michael Harp" > wrote in message
> On 10/3/03 13:56, in article ,

"Vox
> Humana" > wrote:
>

> > "Bev" > wrote in message
> >>

> >> Karen,
> >>
> >> Cuisinart seems to be closing out their Chef's classic line - Amazon

has
> >> all kinds of pots at great prices. You can get a 12 quart stockpot for
> >> $35.00 with free shipping. I have had a small Cuisinart for years and

> > just
> >> purchased a wonderful 5.5 quart sauté pan for only $39.99. They have a
> >> pasta insert which fits a 9 quart pot but oddly don't have a 9 quart

pot
> >> available.
> >>
> >> That said, I have used a pasta insert and wasn't pleased. In my case,

> >> still had to carry the whole pot full of water and insert to the sink

> >> avoid all the drips the pasta insert makes. I'd just as soon drain it

and
> >> be done with it. Plus, the hot water helps clean out my kitchen drain.
> >>

> > I hear you about the dripping from the pasta insert. One advantage to

the
> > insert is that you can remove the pasta and then make another batch

without
> > having to bring a new pot of water to a boil. That may not be an issue

if
> > you don't make serial batches of pasta. I generally start the pot with

> > lid on to speed up boiling. I use the lid to catch the drips on the way

> > the sink.
> >

> Why are y'all going to the sink anyway?? Surely you're not serving it
> there... :-)

Why yes. Doesn't everyone ?

Rick & Cyndi

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
:
: "Baldy Cotton" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
: > >Early on in the waterless cookware thread, I googled
"waterless cookware"
: > >and found, among other things, a "waterless stockpot" for
sale. Really.
: > >
: > >http://www.shop72.com/stockpot.html
: > >
: > >Sometimes life is indeed stranger than fiction.
: >
[...]
: ======

You guys are just plain mean!