Michael Harp

Default Stockpot

On 10/1/03 19:29, in article ,
"Karen Wheless" > wrote:

>> I would so love to have a day to make chicken stock, but between working and
>> moving my grandmother to assisted living, I haven't had a chicken-stock sort
>> of day since it got cool enough to want soup. Unfortunately, all the fancy
>> pots in the world can't create time for you.

> I make mine in the crockpot most of the time, unless I have a really big
> chicken or a turkey. It's very little work - I just throw the meat or
> carcass into the crockpot and add water, then come back 8-10 hours
> later. After I strain the stock into a large bowl, I throw it in the
> fridge overnight. Skim off the fat the next day and scoop it into
> freezer containers. Total work time is only about 5 minutes.
>
> I love having frozen stock - it comes in handy for so many recipes, and
> I can make a fast soup with cooked chicken (I chop that up and freeze it
> too), some noodles, a few veggies and thawed chicken stock. Great for
> those "no time but really want homemade soup" days.
>
> I tried the pressure cooker but I like the taste of crockpot stock
> better.
>
> Karen

Where can you find a crock pot big enough to make a respectable amount of
stock? I agree with you about PC stock - the best flavors are developed
over a very low simmer for extended periods. Hyper-boiling seems
counter-intuitive to the whole process. I like to accumulate carcasses and
bones in freezer and make large quantities... Making a proper stock doesn't
require a lot of attention - just an occasional skimming. I then freeze
smaller qtys in pint or quart freezer bags. What better thing to do on
Sunday?
--
Michael Harp
http://CopperPans.com