Karen Wheless

Default Stockpot

> I would so love to have a day to make chicken stock, but between working and
> moving my grandmother to assisted living, I haven't had a chicken-stock sort
> of day since it got cool enough to want soup. Unfortunately, all the fancy
> pots in the world can't create time for you.

I make mine in the crockpot most of the time, unless I have a really big
chicken or a turkey. It's very little work - I just throw the meat or
carcass into the crockpot and add water, then come back 8-10 hours
later. After I strain the stock into a large bowl, I throw it in the
fridge overnight. Skim off the fat the next day and scoop it into
freezer containers. Total work time is only about 5 minutes.

I love having frozen stock - it comes in handy for so many recipes, and
I can make a fast soup with cooked chicken (I chop that up and freeze it
too), some noodles, a few veggies and thawed chicken stock. Great for
those "no time but really want homemade soup" days.

I tried the pressure cooker but I like the taste of crockpot stock
better.

Karen