Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Braising in a stockpot

I'm going to make Beef Braised in Barolo that I saw on America's Test
Kitchen. My dutch oven is non-stick so I'm thinking of using my
stockpot (has a much heavier base and is not non-stick; I'ts all about
the fond.)

The only difference I can imagine is that the stock pot is much
taller. Think that will make any difference?

Thanks in advance.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

> wrote in message
> I'm going to make Beef Braised in Barolo that I saw on America's Test
> Kitchen. My dutch oven is non-stick so I'm thinking of using my
> stockpot (has a much heavier base and is not non-stick; I'ts all about
> the fond.)
>
> The only difference I can imagine is that the stock pot is much
> taller. Think that will make any difference?
>
> Thanks in advance.

In a nutshell, braising works by the liquid that accumulates on the
underside of the lid dripping back onto the roast. The taller pot could
reduce the effectiveness of this due to the additional space between the
roast and the lid. But, if your stockpot lid is rounded (helps with the
dripping), and the stockpot is fairly full, I don't think you'll have
problem. I think it will turn out great no matter which pot you use, but it
may end up being more "stewed" than braised in the stockpot.

Just my $.02 cents.

Sharon

Posted to rec.food.equipment

If the stock pot won't fit in your oven, it *will* make a difference!
:-)

If it were me, I'd stick with the dutch oven. Oven temperatures can
vary quite a bit from top to bottom of the oven space, and it just seems
like a squatty dutch oven sitting in the middle of the oven has a better
chance of staying at a more constant temperature as the heat source
cycles on and off.

I'd go ahead and brown the beef in the dutch oven as well, but that's
just me. It's more cleanup, but you could brown the beef in some other
pan then transfer it to the dutch oven and deglaze the browning pan with
some of the wine. (I'm not familiar with the recipe, but I'm guessing
that most of the wine is added before everything goes into the oven.)

Whatever you wind up doing, it sounds good!
Bob
======================
In article >, dh7132
@comcast.net says...
> I'm going to make Beef Braised in Barolo that I saw on America's Test
> Kitchen. My dutch oven is non-stick so I'm thinking of using my
> stockpot (has a much heavier base and is not non-stick; I'ts all about
> the fond.)
>
> The only difference I can imagine is that the stock pot is much
> taller. Think that will make any difference?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

yetanotherBob wrote:
> If the stock pot won't fit in your oven, it *will* make a difference!
> :-)

I just "assumed" that OP meant that it was going to be done
on the stovetop... silly me.

--
Steve
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Thanks to all.
I think I need to think on this one a while.

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 10:33:00 -0500, wrote:

>I'm going to make Beef Braised in Barolo that I saw on America's Test
>Kitchen.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Dec 1, 7:33 am, wrote:
> I'm going to make Beef Braised in Barolo that I saw on America's Test
> Kitchen. My dutch oven is non-stick so I'm thinking of using my
> stockpot (has a much heavier base and is not non-stick; I'ts all about
> the fond.)
>
> The only difference I can imagine is that the stock pot is much
> taller. Think that will make any difference?
>
> Thanks in advance.

As long as the lid is on, I can't see why it would make a difference.
Lid off, the liquid would reduce faster in the pot with the larger
opening.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
dh dh is offline

To follow up:

I made the Beef and Barolo in a 10 quart stainless, not non-stick,
stock pot with aluminum disk. It worked great and the beef was
delicious. All in attendance agreed.

Thanks to all who replied.