Debbie Deutsch

Default Stockpot

(Karen Wheless) wrote in
:

> I've been wanting to buy a stockpot with a pasta insert - primarily
> for cooking pasta, but I also want something decent enough to reheat
> soup or heat up some pasta sauce, simple things like that. My last
> stockpot finally had to be tossed and I'd like a replacement, and I'd
> like the pasta insert.
>
> However, my budget is limited, and spending All Clad prices or even
> Bed Bath & Beyond prices for something that's mostly for boiling water
> seems like a waste. But my last stockpot was so flimsy and thin on
> the bottom that it was pretty useless - it even rusted on the bottom
> by the end. So I want something that has some quality to it, even if
> it's not a premium brand.
>
> I haven't found anything locally at a decent price (the only thing
> available seems to be $100+), so I've been checking ebay for bargains.
> I've come across quite a few sets (stockpot plus insert plus steamer
> in some cases) at fairly good prices. But some of the brands are ones
> I'm not familiar with - they all seem to be 18/10 stainless, mostly
> with a disc bottom, but that can cover a lot of quality levels.
>
> Is anyone familiar with the cookware made by Williams-Sonoma (under
> their own name) or Crate & Barrel (also under their own name)? How
> about "Command Performance" which is an HSN brand? Or Dansk? These
> all seem to show up fairly frequently on ebay. (I'm hoping to find a
> bargain on Calphalon but it seems to be going for a bit more than I
> can afford.)
>
> Thanks,
> Karen

I would skip the Dansk - everything I have seen in their stores looks
more like it is made for style than good cooking performance. I'd be
much more willing to trust a Williams-Sonoma house brand. However, if
something shows up a lot on ebay, perhaps there is a reason.

I have a pot that is exactly what you are looking for, and it cost much
less than $100. I bought it at Costco several years ago and it has held
up perfectly. You can probably find something equivalent there or at
Sam's Club or BJ's. The only thing I have against it is that the
interior is not machined completely smooth, so it is a little more work
to clean up.

OTOH, for $99 you can get the made-in-China stainless steel All-Clad
(disk on bottom, no cladding on the sides) 12-quart pasta pot with
insert. I have seen it in the store and it will last forever. I didn't
need it, because I have my Costco pot. I *did* buy the 16-quart model
(no insert) for making stock. (I like to make my own stock with no salt
and keep it on hand in the freezer. I end up with maybe 4 quarts out of
that 16-quart stockpot. I love it.)

FWIW, it really pays to buy cookware "in person" especially if you are
not familiar with the specific product line. It is hard to tell quality
from a picture. There is nothing like hefting the pan, feeling the
handles in your hand, checking the fit of the lid, etc.

If you don't already have a nice 2-quart or 3-quart saucepan, and you
can get a good buy on the stockpot, you might consider a saucepan too.
That's much better for reheating (less clean-up, won't lose so much
water) a few portions of soup or pasta sauce than a big stockpot.

Debbie

--
Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a
throw-away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if