Old 27-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Dick R.

Default Under $15 Pinot Noir suggestions ?

Hi All,
I ask this question every year about this time because
I like to serve Pinot Noir with the traditional (USA)
Thanksgiving turkey meal. If it was just me, I'd just pop
a cork on a Rex Goliath 47lb. Rooster and call it good.
Hovever, I would like to serve something better to my guests.

TIA,
Dick

Old 27-09-2004, 04:42 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:18:01 -0500, "Dick R." wrote:

Hi All,
I ask this question every year about this time because
I like to serve Pinot Noir with the traditional (USA)
Thanksgiving turkey meal. If it was just me, I'd just pop
a cork on a Rex Goliath 47lb. Rooster and call it good.
Hovever, I would like to serve something better to my guests.

TIA,
Dick

So, you want to go more than $5 and less than $15?

Really, you'll be hard pressed to find a US Pinot Noir that offers
more up front varietal character than the Rex Goliath. But, some that
I've enjoyed in the past were Cambria Julia's Vineyard, Chalone, Le
Crema, Andrew Rich, Jezebel, Kelly, McKinley, O'Reilly and
occasionally a Schug comes in at the $15 point.

I've found some small producers in Oregon through through Avalon
(http://www.avalonwine.com/)--they feature Northwest wines and their
home page offers not only names and prices but a lot of news on what
the regional producers are offering.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
Old 27-09-2004, 05:41 PM
Dick R.

Ed Rasimus wrote:
[...]

Hi Ed,
Thanks for the suggestions. Two of the major wine/liquor outlets
in the Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota area are having Fall wine sales.
I have both catalogs and I'll check for the wines you suggested.
If they don't carry any of your suggested wines ... I'll just have
to settle for a case of RG47lbPN. :-)

Thanks and Cheers,
Dick

Old 27-09-2004, 05:49 PM
Dale Williams

I'm pretty much with Ed- the rex Goliath is about as good as it gets in
under-$10 US pinot that tastes like pinot. Unfortunately my local ran out.
Tried a Camelot that was a poor substitute.

With a little looking, in addition to those Ed listed, you might be able to
find the St Innocent Willamette bottling (non-vineyard specific, he doesn't
make every year) or the Saintsbury Garnet for under $15.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Old 27-09-2004, 07:00 PM
Dick R.

Ed Rasimus wrote:

snip

Dale Williams wrote:
I'm pretty much with Ed- the rex Goliath is about as good as it gets in
under-$10 US pinot that tastes like pinot. Unfortunately my local ran out.
Tried a Camelot that was a poor substitute.

With a little looking, in addition to those Ed listed, you might be able to
find the St Innocent Willamette bottling (non-vineyard specific, he doesn't
make every year) or the Saintsbury Garnet for under $15.
Dale

Hi Ed and Dale,
Bingo! Found the Le Crema and Saintsbury Garnet on sale for $13.99. I'll
purchase some of each, add a bottle of Argyle 1998 PN, and some RG47lbPN.
Should make for an interesting tasting.

Thanks for your help,
Dick

Old 27-09-2004, 07:33 PM
Larry Coon

Dick R. wrote:

Hi All,
I ask this question every year about this time because
I like to serve Pinot Noir with the traditional (USA)
Thanksgiving turkey meal. If it was just me, I'd just pop
a cork on a Rex Goliath 47lb. Rooster and call it good.
Hovever, I would like to serve something better to my guests.

TIA,
Dick

What's Rex Hill's second label?

....quick Google search...

Kings Ridge. I think it comes in at around $15.

Old 27-09-2004, 10:11 PM
asdf

Another sub $10.00 offering is Haley's Mill Pinot Noir. I think is runs
about $2.00 a bottle more than Rex, but it is well worth it. And Black Oak,
http://www.blackoakwines.com/, at around $7.99. Not bad, but I like Haley's
and Rex better.

For a sub $15.00, I liked Mark West Pinot Noir at about 11.99 a bottle.

Old 27-09-2004, 10:59 PM
Dick R.

Hi Larry,
Couldn't find Rex Hill or Kings Ridge in either of my sale
catalogs, but I'll make a note and look for it.

Thanks,
Dick

Old 27-09-2004, 11:02 PM
Dick R.

Hi "asdf"
I found the Mark West PN in one of the sale catalogs and I'll give it
a try.

Thanks,
Dick

asdf wrote:
snip
For a sub $15.00, I liked Mark West Pinot Noir at about 11.99 a bottle.

Old 27-09-2004, 11:55 PM
Larry

No Dick, NO!!!

Not the RG47lbPN. After being honest and claiming the 5 bottles I
brought back(still have 3or 4) in duty free(mental note for me: don't
be a dumbass like that next time- hide it in my wife's bag!!!!) I
still break out in night sweats. ;-}

All the best,

Larry
Southern Ontario
Old 28-09-2004, 12:38 AM
Dick R.

Larry wrote:
No Dick, NO!!!

Not the RG47lbPN. After being honest and claiming the 5 bottles I
brought back(still have 3or 4) in duty free(mental note for me: don't
be a dumbass like that next time- hide it in my wife's bag!!!!) I
still break out in night sweats. ;-}

Hey Larry,
Always nice to hear from you.
"Night sweats", me too, age thing maybe. But I won't give up my
RG47lbPN until "they pry my cold, dead fingers" off the bottle! :-)
BTW: How did you like it? Notes are always good, otherwise a "yup"
or "nope" would work.

Cheers,
Dick

Old 28-09-2004, 02:48 AM
Uranium Committee

"Dick R." wrote in message ...
Hi All,
I ask this question every year about this time because
I like to serve Pinot Noir with the traditional (USA)
Thanksgiving turkey meal. If it was just me, I'd just pop
a cork on a Rex Goliath 47lb. Rooster and call it good.
Hovever, I would like to serve something better to my guests.

TIA,
Dick

Pinot Noir with turkey? Why not a delicious Grignolino? or a Taurasi?
or a Montefalco? or a Chianti Rufina? or a Dolcetto?
Old 28-09-2004, 05:02 AM
Dana Myers

Uranium Committee wrote:
"Dick R." wrote in message ...

Hi All,
I ask this question every year about this time because
I like to serve Pinot Noir with the traditional (USA)
Thanksgiving turkey meal. If it was just me, I'd just pop
a cork on a Rex Goliath 47lb. Rooster and call it good.
Hovever, I would like to serve something better to my guests.

TIA,
Dick

Pinot Noir with turkey? Why not a delicious Grignolino? or a Taurasi?
or a Montefalco? or a Chianti Rufina? or a Dolcetto?

Or maybe a nice fresh Beaujolais Nouveau from France.

;-)

Pinot Noir aesthete8 Wine 6 11-12-2010 04:48 PM
California Connoisseur Wine Kit - Pinot Noir - suggestions? Dave Allison Winemaking 9 10-11-2006 02:14 PM
Pinot Noir for $20 suggestions... R&M Wine 6 29-10-2004 05:33 AM
Pinot Noir Mike Winemaking 9 11-09-2004 12:45 AM
Pinot Noir ernie Winemaking 4 10-04-2004 10:08 PM