Richard

Default SD English Muffins

I finally mastered a good batch of SD Biscuits and now have been attempting
SD English Muffins.
I've tried 3 different recipes, Jo-Ann's, one from the RFSD recipes and one
other off the net.
I've tried following the instructions very close but have found that no
matter what, I can't get them cooked in the inside using the griddle.

Any thoughts as to what I can do?

Thanks
Richard

Gavin

I've tried following the instructions very close but have found that no
matter what, I can't get them cooked in the inside using the griddle.

I think that your griddle is too hot. That is a problem that I have
because it is very difficult to set my gas burner on llow.

Richard

"Gavin" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I've tried following the instructions very close but have found that no
> matter what, I can't get them cooked in the inside using the griddle.
>
> I think that your griddle is too hot. That is a problem that I have
> because it is very difficult to set my gas burner on llow.

Before I use a recipe I look at as many as I can to see if the ingredients
and procedures are similar. Most that I looked at indicated a 275*-300* or
medium heat griddle. I have used 275* most of the time. I have a good flat
griddle that fits over both front and back burners of my electric range and
I use a flat surface thermometer to dial in the temp before trying to cook.

I've varied cooking time each side and varying the temp a bit but it just
seems like it would take a 1/2 hr each side to cook the middle and then the
top/bottom would be far over done.

They do rise as being cooked. I've tried flattening down a few to see if
this would help, but it didn't. In all cases the top/bottom end up fairly
hard.

Do you think the dough could be too thick?

Will

On 2/26/05 10:55 AM, "Richard" > wrote:

> "Gavin" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> I've tried following the instructions very close but have found that no
>> matter what, I can't get them cooked in the inside using the griddle.
>>
>> I think that your griddle is too hot. That is a problem that I have
>> because it is very difficult to set my gas burner on llow.
>>

> Before I use a recipe I look at as many as I can to see if the ingredients
> and procedures are similar. Most that I looked at indicated a 275*-300* or
> medium heat griddle. I have used 275* most of the time. I have a good flat
> griddle that fits over both front and back burners of my electric range and
> I use a flat surface thermometer to dial in the temp before trying to cook.
>
> I've varied cooking time each side and varying the temp a bit but it just
> seems like it would take a 1/2 hr each side to cook the middle and then the
> top/bottom would be far over done.
>
> They do rise as being cooked. I've tried flattening down a few to see if
> this would help, but it didn't. In all cases the top/bottom end up fairly
> hard.
>
> Do you think the dough could be too thick?

Don't think so. The way I've always done it is brown both sides then into a
400F oven for 15 minutes.

Why would you bake them on a griddle?

http://www.otherwhen.com/mailman/lis...food.sourdough

ellen wickberg

Will wrote:
> On 2/26/05 10:55 AM, "Richard" > wrote:
>

>>"Gavin" > wrote in message
groups.com...

>>>I've tried following the instructions very close but have found that no
>>>matter what, I can't get them cooked in the inside using the griddle.
>>>
>>>I think that your griddle is too hot. That is a problem that I have
>>>because it is very difficult to set my gas burner on llow.
>>>

>>Before I use a recipe I look at as many as I can to see if the ingredients
>>and procedures are similar. Most that I looked at indicated a 275*-300* or
>>medium heat griddle. I have used 275* most of the time. I have a good flat
>>griddle that fits over both front and back burners of my electric range and
>>I use a flat surface thermometer to dial in the temp before trying to cook.
>>
>>I've varied cooking time each side and varying the temp a bit but it just
>>seems like it would take a 1/2 hr each side to cook the middle and then the
>>top/bottom would be far over done.
>>
>>They do rise as being cooked. I've tried flattening down a few to see if
>>this would help, but it didn't. In all cases the top/bottom end up fairly
>>hard.
>>
>>Do you think the dough could be too thick?

> Don't think so. The way I've always done it is brown both sides then into a
> 400F oven for 15 minutes.
>
> Why would you bake them on a griddle?

>>http://www.otherwhen.com/mailman/lis...food.sourdough

could be because that was how t hey were originally cooked.
Ellen

Richard

"Will" > wrote in message
news:mailman.51.1109437629.30360.rec.food.sourdoug ...
> On 2/26/05 10:55 AM, "Richard" > wrote:
> Don't think so. The way I've always done it is brown both sides then into

> 400F oven for 15 minutes.
>
> Why would you bake them on a griddle?

That's what the recipes call for. Unless I'm mistaking using a griddle in
the oven for one top. None of them mention putting into the oven after
browning both sides.

I'll give the oven a try. It makes some sense.

Thanks

Will

ellen wickberg wrote:
> Will wrote:
> > On 2/26/05 10:55 AM, "Richard" > wrote:
> >

> >>"Gavin" > wrote in message
> groups.com...

that no

griddle.

have

> >>Before I use a recipe I look at as many as I can to see if the

ingredients
> >>and procedures are similar. Most that I looked at indicated a

275*-300* or
> >>medium heat griddle. I have used 275* most of the time. I have a

good flat
> >>griddle that fits over both front and back burners of my electric

range and
> >>I use a flat surface thermometer to dial in the temp before trying

to cook.

> >>I've varied cooking time each side and varying the temp a bit but

it just
> >>seems like it would take a 1/2 hr each side to cook the middle and

then the
> >>top/bottom would be far over done.
> >>
> >>They do rise as being cooked. I've tried flattening down a few to

see if
> >>this would help, but it didn't. In all cases the top/bottom end up

fairly
> >>hard.
> >>
> >>Do you think the dough could be too thick?

> > Don't think so. The way I've always done it is brown both sides

then into a
> > 400F oven for 15 minutes.
> >
> > Why would you bake them on a griddle?

> >>http://www.otherwhen.com/mailman/lis...food.sourdough

> could be because that was how t hey were originally cooked.

> Ellen

Says who... James Beard?

Brian Mailman

Will wrote:

> ellen wickberg wrote:

>> > Why would you bake them on a griddle?

>> could be because that was how t hey were originally cooked.

> Says who... James Beard?

google on 'crumpet' which is the closest the english have to an
'english' muffin.

b/
ellen wickberg

Will wrote:
> ellen wickberg wrote:
>
>>Will wrote:

legroups.com...

> that no

> griddle.

> have

> ingredients

> 275*-300* or

> good flat

> range and

> to cook.

> it just

> then the

> see if

> fairly

>>>Don't think so. The way I've always done it is brown both sides

> then into a
>
>>>400F oven for 15 minutes.
>>>
>>>Why would you bake them on a griddle?

>>could be because that was how t hey were originally cooked.

>>Ellen

> Says who... James Beard?

I don't often read James Beard. Is he your main source. I read any
number of authors, depending on what I am looking for. I did just look
at Elizabeth David's "English Bread and Yeast Cookery" which has a
chapter on crumpets and muffins. It appears that some people bake on a
griddle and some in an oven for muffins. Crumpets, of course, are quite
liquid and are done on a griddle.
Will

On 2/26/05 10:46 PM, "ellen wickberg" > wrote:

> I don't often read James Beard. Is he your main source?

It's almost humorous to remember this, but about 30 years ago he was the
just about the only source. Beard, and the now infamous Tassajara Bread Book
were "it". Now there's a solid 8 feet of bread books at Borders.

>I read any
> number of authors, depending on what I am looking for. I did just look
> at Elizabeth David's "English Bread and Yeast Cookery" which has a
> chapter on crumpets and muffins. It appears that some people bake on a
> griddle and some in an oven for muffins.

Good book. My suspicion is that the best muffins may be cooked in a large
heavy casserole where the tops and bottoms may be browned as the final rise
is achieved. Covering the pot and letting the muffins finish in the moist
heat completes the process.

So a cross between oven and griddle <g>.

Will

On 2/26/05 10:46 PM, "ellen wickberg" > wrote:

> I don't often read James Beard. Is he your main source?

It's almost humorous to remember this, but about 30 years ago he was the
just about the only source. Beard, and the now infamous Tassajara Bread Book
were "it". Now there's a solid 8 feet of bread books at Borders.

>I read any
> number of authors, depending on what I am looking for. I did just look
> at Elizabeth David's "English Bread and Yeast Cookery" which has a
> chapter on crumpets and muffins. It appears that some people bake on a
> griddle and some in an oven for muffins.

Good book. My suspicion is that the best muffins may be cooked in a large
heavy casserole where the tops and bottoms may be browned as the final rise
is achieved. Covering the pot and letting the muffins finish in the moist
heat completes the process.

So a cross between oven and griddle <g>.

Ed B.

I have used Jo-Ann's recipe successfully on many occasions. The first
time I made them I had a couple of problems so I detoured from the
instructions slightly.

First, I make sure the griddle is not too hot. A drop of water should
sizzle and dance around before evaporating. Then I put the muffins in
and cover the griddle. I cook the first side for about 4 minutes. I
turn them over and let the weight flatten them, I do not squash them
with the spatula. I cover the griddle again and cook the second side
for about 4 minutes. If you find them beginning to get too dark on the
bottoms turn the heat down.

--
~)< Love & Peace Ed B.

"I believe the world is beautiful
and that poetry, like bread, is for everyone."
-Roque Dalton "Like You"
Richard

"Ed B." > wrote in message
news_E_d.56756$xt.25061@fed1read07...
> I have used Jo-Ann's recipe successfully on many occasions. The first
> time I made them I had a couple of problems so I detoured from the
> instructions slightly.
>
> First, I make sure the griddle is not too hot. A drop of water should
> sizzle and dance around before evaporating. Then I put the muffins in
> and cover the griddle. I cook the first side for about 4 minutes. I
> turn them over and let the weight flatten them, I do not squash them
> with the spatula. I cover the griddle again and cook the second side
> for about 4 minutes. If you find them beginning to get too dark on the
> bottoms turn the heat down.

Thanks Ed. I'll give that a try. I've had decent results using the oven to
finish them off but it would be nice to be done with the first go around.

I assume you mean the weight of the biscuit it's self to flatten them down?

Richard

Richard

"Ed B." > wrote in message
news_E_d.56756$xt.25061@fed1read07...
> I have used Jo-Ann's recipe successfully on many occasions. The first
> time I made them I had a couple of problems so I detoured from the
> instructions slightly.
>
> First, I make sure the griddle is not too hot. A drop of water should
> sizzle and dance around before evaporating. Then I put the muffins in
> and cover the griddle. I cook the first side for about 4 minutes. I
> turn them over and let the weight flatten them, I do not squash them
> with the spatula. I cover the griddle again and cook the second side
> for about 4 minutes. If you find them beginning to get too dark on the
> bottoms turn the heat down.

Thanks Ed. I'll give that a try. I've had decent results using the oven to
finish them off but it would be nice to be done with the first go around.

I assume you mean the weight of the biscuit it's self to flatten them down?

Richard

Ed B.

Richard wrote:

> "Ed B." > wrote in message
> news_E_d.56756$xt.25061@fed1read07...
>
>>I have used Jo-Ann's recipe successfully on many occasions. The first
>>time I made them I had a couple of problems so I detoured from the
>>instructions slightly.
>>
>>First, I make sure the griddle is not too hot. A drop of water should
>>sizzle and dance around before evaporating. Then I put the muffins in
>>and cover the griddle. I cook the first side for about 4 minutes. I
>>turn them over and let the weight flatten them, I do not squash them
>>with the spatula. I cover the griddle again and cook the second side
>>for about 4 minutes. If you find them beginning to get too dark on the
>>bottoms turn the heat down.

> Thanks Ed. I'll give that a try. I've had decent results using the oven to
> finish them off but it would be nice to be done with the first go around.
>
> I assume you mean the weight of the biscuit it's self to flatten them down?
>
> Richard

Yes, their own weight is enough to flatten them.

--
~)< Love & Peace Ed B.

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a
victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; but define yourself."
-Harvey Fierstein

Ed B.

Richard wrote:

> "Ed B." > wrote in message
> news_E_d.56756$xt.25061@fed1read07...
>
>>I have used Jo-Ann's recipe successfully on many occasions. The first
>>time I made them I had a couple of problems so I detoured from the
>>instructions slightly.
>>
>>First, I make sure the griddle is not too hot. A drop of water should
>>sizzle and dance around before evaporating. Then I put the muffins in
>>and cover the griddle. I cook the first side for about 4 minutes. I
>>turn them over and let the weight flatten them, I do not squash them
>>with the spatula. I cover the griddle again and cook the second side
>>for about 4 minutes. If you find them beginning to get too dark on the
>>bottoms turn the heat down.

> Thanks Ed. I'll give that a try. I've had decent results using the oven to
> finish them off but it would be nice to be done with the first go around.
>
> I assume you mean the weight of the biscuit it's self to flatten them down?
>
> Richard

Yes, their own weight is enough to flatten them.

--
~)< Love & Peace Ed B.

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a
victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; but define yourself."
-Harvey Fierstein
jvoortman

"Ed B." > wrote in message news:<RUD0e.473$k57.140@fed1read07>...
> Richard wrote:
>
> > "Ed B." > wrote in message
> > news_E_d.56756$xt.25061@fed1read07...
> >
> >>I have used Jo-Ann's recipe successfully on many occasions. The first
> >>time I made them I had a couple of problems so I detoured from the
> >>instructions slightly.
> >>
> >>First, I make sure the griddle is not too hot. A drop of water should
> >>sizzle and dance around before evaporating. Then I put the muffins in
> >>and cover the griddle. I cook the first side for about 4 minutes. I
> >>turn them over and let the weight flatten them, I do not squash them
> >>with the spatula. I cover the griddle again and cook the second side
> >>for about 4 minutes. If you find them beginning to get too dark on the
> >>bottoms turn the heat down.

> > Thanks Ed. I'll give that a try. I've had decent results using the oven to
> > finish them off but it would be nice to be done with the first go around.
> >
> > I assume you mean the weight of the biscuit it's self to flatten them down?
> >
> > Richard

> Yes, their own weight is enough to flatten them.

If your store has Oakrun Farm Bakery English muffins, you can just get
those because they are made using sourdough, and they're awesome!