Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default Using English muffins ---- and more

English muffins are so versatile! I tend to toast them & more (crispy),
with butter then topped with raspberry jam. There are many other
methods to use English muffins from simply toasted to something fancy
akin to eggs benedict (sp?).

One aspect I've noticed at restaurants when it comes to English muffins
is - they're way undercooked - as in 'limpy'! Comparing a 'sausage
english muffin' vs. biscuis english muffins isn't easy - the various
vendors are too many!

But then, all are personal preferences. Some/Many places are better
than others!!!

Sky, who loves a great breakfast!!! ;D

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> English muffins are so versatile! I tend to toast them & more (crispy),
> with butter then topped with raspberry jam. There are many other
> methods to use English muffins from simply toasted to something fancy
> akin to eggs benedict (sp?).
>
> One aspect I've noticed at restaurants when it comes to English muffins
> is - they're way undercooked - as in 'limpy'! Comparing a 'sausage
> english muffin' vs. biscuis english muffins isn't easy - the various
> vendors are too many!
>
> But then, all are personal preferences. Some/Many places are better
> than others!!!
>
> Sky, who loves a great breakfast!!! ;D
>

> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

One of my favorite uses is to spread an English muffin with garlic
butter and then top with a slice of tomato and cheddar cheese &
microwave till the cheese starts to met.

The elderly relative likes a thin slice of red onion added.
--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> English muffins are so versatile! I tend to toast them & more (crispy),
> with butter then topped with raspberry jam. There are many other methods
> to use English muffins from simply toasted to something fancy akin to eggs
> benedict (sp?).
>
> One aspect I've noticed at restaurants when it comes to English muffins
> is - they're way undercooked - as in 'limpy'! Comparing a 'sausage
> english muffin' vs. biscuis english muffins isn't easy - the various
> vendors are too many!
>
> But then, all are personal preferences. Some/Many places are better than
> others!!!
>
> Sky, who loves a great breakfast!!! ;D

I used to get something in a restaurant called tuna twins. It was an
English muffin served in halves, topped with a thick slice of tomato, a
scoop of tuna salad and a slice of cheese, melted over the top. Next to
impossible to eat unless you used a knife and fork. But oh so good!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JL" > wrote in message ...

> Sky wrote:
>> English muffins are so versatile! I tend to toast them & more (crispy),
>> with butter then topped with raspberry jam. There are many other methods
>> to use English muffins from simply toasted to something fancy akin to
>> eggs benedict (sp?).
>>
>> One aspect I've noticed at restaurants when it comes to English muffins
>> is - they're way undercooked - as in 'limpy'! Comparing a 'sausage
>> english muffin' vs. biscuis english muffins isn't easy - the various
>> vendors are too many!
>>
>> But then, all are personal preferences. Some/Many places are better than
>> others!!!
>>
>> Sky, who loves a great breakfast!!! ;D
>>

>> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
>> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

> One of my favorite uses is to spread an English muffin with garlic butter
> and then top with a slice of tomato and cheddar cheese & microwave till
> the cheese starts to met.
>
> The elderly relative likes a thin slice of red onion added.

I used to do something like that in the oven, sometimes with some green
pepper added. I didn't have a microwave in those days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 21:52:19 -0700, JL > wrote:

>One of my favorite uses is to spread an English muffin with garlic
>butter and then top with a slice of tomato and cheddar cheese &
>microwave till the cheese starts to met.

I do something similar, but I toast the muffin crisp first, and then
top brown in the toaster oven with the tomato and cheese. Often, I'll
skip the tomato and just melt cheese on the toasted, buttered muffin.
I've also discovered that a nice jam with melted cheese is
surprisingly good.

Barry in Indy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 29, 12:52*am, JL > wrote:
> Sky wrote:
> > English muffins are so versatile! *I tend to toast them & more (crispy),
> > with butter then topped with raspberry jam. *There are many other
> > methods to use English muffins from simply toasted to something fancy
> > akin to eggs benedict (sp?).

> > One aspect I've noticed at restaurants when it comes to English muffins
> > is - they're way undercooked - as in 'limpy'! *Comparing a 'sausage
> > english muffin' vs. biscuis english muffins isn't easy - the various
> > vendors are too many!

> > But then, all are personal preferences. *Some/Many places are better
> > than others!!!

> > Sky, who loves a great breakfast!!! ;D

> > Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> > Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

> One of my favorite uses is to spread an English muffin with garlic
> butter and then top with a slice of tomato and cheddar cheese &
> microwave till the cheese starts to met.
>
> The elderly relative likes a thin slice of red onion added.
> --
>
> Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.
>
> Domine, dirige nos.
>
> Let the games begin!http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

My fave is limburger melted on an English over a slab of sweet onion
and tomato. One of my emergency suppers when there's no time to
cook. Course, better not be going out in company that night.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Barry in Indy wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 21:52:19 -0700, JL > wrote:
>
>>One of my favorite uses is to spread an English muffin with garlic
>>butter and then top with a slice of tomato and cheddar cheese & microwave till the cheese starts to met.
>>

> I do something similar, but I toast the muffin crisp first, and then
> top brown in the toaster oven with the tomato and cheese. Often, I'll
> skip the tomato and just melt cheese on the toasted, buttered muffin.
> I've also discovered that a nice jam with melted cheese is
> surprisingly good.
>
> Barry in Indy

I have done the toasted muffin version also, its a toss up which i
prefer with the deciding factor usually being that of how hungry i am.

If im making an afternoon or evening snack i will toast the muffin and
add some avocado if i have it on hand, if i have just woke up i put the
untoasted muffin in the microwave after i put the coffee in the boiling
water and they are both ready to consume a minute or 2 later.

Im also very fond of a nice thick slice of sourdough bread, spread with
mayo & mustard and layered with cheese and deli thin sliced meat then
nuke till cheese is runny and serve with a knife and fork.

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 28, 9:37*pm, Sky > wrote:
> English muffins are so versatile! *I tend to toast them & more (crispy),
> with butter then topped with raspberry jam. *There are many other
> methods to use English muffins from simply toasted to something fancy
> akin to eggs benedict (sp?).
>
> One aspect I've noticed at restaurants when it comes to English muffins
> is - they're way undercooked - as in 'limpy'! *Comparing a 'sausage
> english muffin' vs. biscuis english muffins isn't easy - the various
> vendors are too many!
>
> But then, all are personal preferences. *Some/Many places are better
> than others!!!
>
> Sky, who loves a great breakfast!!! ;D
>
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Butter, then crunchy peanut butter then topped with whipped honey.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 05:06:19 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

<snip>

>This was back in the days of "power breakfasts". We had coddled eggs
>with a side of bacon that must have been about a pound of thick bacon
>slices. One breakfast I'll never foget.

One of my most memorable breakfasts was had at the Fairmont Hotel in
San Francisco: Crab Benedict. OMG! I had fantasies about the dish for
years. Sadly, the hotel has gone downhill since and the dish was no
longer offered the last time I was there.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 06:54:24 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>The tastiest dish I ever had on English muffins was at a Sunday brunch,
>Eggs Sardou. Open faced, creamed spinach, artichoke bottom, poached egg
>drowned in Hollandaise. Also a knife and fork dish.

The venerable Pacific Dining Car in downtown Los Angeles has Eggs
Sardou on the menu - my old boss' favorite.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 9/29/2010 4:53 PM, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> One of my most memorable breakfasts was had at the Fairmont Hotel in
> San Francisco: Crab Benedict. OMG! I had fantasies about the dish for
> years. Sadly, the hotel has gone downhill since and the dish was no
> longer offered the last time I was there.

That sounds really divine!! It's hard to go wrong with a 'benedict' of
any sort, unless the English muffins are soggy <G> - er, except if
that's the diner's preference

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> On 9/29/2010 4:53 PM, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>>
>> One of my most memorable breakfasts was had at the Fairmont Hotel in
>> San Francisco: Crab Benedict. OMG! I had fantasies about the dish for
>> years. Sadly, the hotel has gone downhill since and the dish was no
>> longer offered the last time I was there.

> That sounds really divine!! It's hard to go wrong with a 'benedict' of
> any sort, unless the English muffins are soggy <G> - er, except if
> that's the diner's preference
>
> Sky

Last Sunday we were at a local mall where our Swedish partner was
stocking up on "cheaper" electronics (i.e. IPads.) We went to a quite
nice restaurant for lunch/brunch and he had a Benedict-type dish of
poached eggs and Hollandaise served on crabcakes instead of ham-and
English muffins(low carb!) He said it was delicious.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-10-02, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> time I got a Benedict, one of the eggs still had partially uncooked
> whites. Turned me off completely.

Jes the opposite happened to me. Got two eggs Tiger Wood coulda
played 18 holes with. Sent 'em back, got one nicely cooked, the other
still a golf ball. I figured the 2nd time I sent 'em back, I'd get
stealth surprises I'd rather not consider, so jes got up and left.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 10/2/2010 2:52 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 13:57:07 -0500, >
> wrote:
>

>> That sounds really divine!! It's hard to go wrong with a 'benedict' of
>> any sort, unless the English muffins are soggy<G> - er, except if
>> that's the diner's preference
>>
>> Sky

> It's easy to go wrong if one of the eggs isn't fully cooked. Last
> time I got a Benedict, one of the eggs still had partially uncooked
> whites. Turned me off completely.

Yeah, a poached egg with still-runny, partially uncooked whites is
definitely nasty. Blech!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Squeaks wrote:

> One of my most memorable breakfasts was had at the Fairmont Hotel in
> San Francisco: Crab Benedict. OMG! I had fantasies about the dish for
> years.

Was it lump crabmeat or a crabcake?

Bob, thinking about Veal Oscar Benedict

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

> It's hard to go wrong with a 'benedict' of any sort, unless the English
> muffins are soggy <G> - er, except if that's the diner's preference

There's some famous restaurant (I think it's Commander's Palace in New
Orleans) which uses rusks instead of English muffins on the basis that
they're better at remaining crisp. But if you use Wolferman's English
muffins I think you never have that problem.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne wrote:

> I remember the first time I had really good English muffins in a
> restaurant. It was at the Waldorf in Manhattan in the restaurant,
> Peacock Alley. They were only the preursor to the actual breakfast,
> but they were presented perfectly toasted and butter, servied up in a
> silver toaste rack, along with a trio of pots of marmalade and jams.

I know that fancy restaurants use those toast racks, but the design is
horrible: Can you think of any design which would expose *more* of the
toast's surface area to cold air?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 19:47:04 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Wayne wrote:
>
>> I remember the first time I had really good English muffins in a
>> restaurant. It was at the Waldorf in Manhattan in the restaurant,
>> Peacock Alley. They were only the preursor to the actual breakfast,
>> but they were presented perfectly toasted and butter, servied up in a
>> silver toaste rack, along with a trio of pots of marmalade and jams.

>I know that fancy restaurants use those toast racks, but the design is
>horrible: Can you think of any design which would expose *more* of the
>toast's surface area to cold air?

You've obviously never dined at a high end restaurant... when I lived
in LA I'd have breakfast at the Beverly Hills Hotel about once a
month, I was a student but a good friend who could well afford it
would treat us... toast racks were brought to table covered with a
quilted cloth made just for that purpose, had the hotel logo on it. I
always felt guilty eating there, the prices were outrageous, order
corn flakes and they'd bring a fancy schmancy bowl and small pitcher
of cream, and one of those ordinary individual serving boxes of
Kellogg's corn flakes on a silver tray, price; $25, and this was the
'60s! I've attended company breakfasts at NY's Waldorf numerous
times, toast racks were brought to table covered... toast arrived warm
as when served at home, maybe warmer.... at large dining operations
toast is made continuously, streaming from conveyor toasters and
brought to table immediately, if cold when eaten it's patron's fault
for taking too long BSing before partaking, but at those affairs they
serve more without even asking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 13:57:07 -0500, Sky >
> wrote:
>

>> That sounds really divine!! It's hard to go wrong with a 'benedict' of
>> any sort, unless the English muffins are soggy <G> - er, except if
>> that's the diner's preference
>>
>> Sky

> It's easy to go wrong if one of the eggs isn't fully cooked. Last
> time I got a Benedict, one of the eggs still had partially uncooked
> whites. Turned me off completely.
>
> Christine

Ugh. I would be equally turned off.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> GUEST wrote:
> English muffins are so versatile! I tend to toast them & more

(crispy),
> with butter then topped with raspberry jam. There are many other
> methods to use English muffins from simply toasted to something

fancy
> akin to eggs benedict (sp?).
>
> One aspect I've noticed at restaurants when it comes to English

muffins
> is - they're way undercooked - as in 'limpy'! Comparing a 'sausage

> english muffin' vs. biscuis english muffins isn't easy - the

various
> vendors are too many!
>
> But then, all are personal preferences. Some/Many places are

better
> than others!!!
>
> Sky, who loves a great breakfast!!! ;D
>

> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

My go to Sunday
breakfast is half an english muffin with butter, cheese, ham, and a
friend egg on top. Simple and quick!

English Muffins Gary General Cooking 4 15-06-2014 08:15 AM
English Muffins James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 10 27-11-2012 08:11 PM
English Muffins , just the best Food Snob®[_2_] General Cooking 14 09-08-2010 10:30 PM
T's English Muffins Duckie ® Recipes 0 15-03-2004 01:20 PM