Old 04-11-2012, 06:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default English Muffins

I had toasted Thomas' English Muffins with breakfast. I wonder if anyone
agrees with me to wish they were about twice the size?
--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" wrote in message
I had toasted Thomas' English Muffins with breakfast. I wonder if anyone
agrees with me to wish they were about twice the size?

In diameter, not in depth. I have never been a Wolferman's fan,
but Thomas' is a national treasure.

pavane

Old 04-11-2012, 07:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/4/2012 1:41 PM, pavane wrote:

"James Silverton" wrote in message
I had toasted Thomas' English Muffins with breakfast. I wonder if
anyone agrees with me to wish they were about twice the size?

In diameter, not in depth. I have never been a Wolferman's fan,
but Thomas' is a national treasure.

pavane

I guess I'd better be specific :-) If the diameter were increased by an
inch, it would almost do what I'd like. Don't require me to measure my
muffins, I've eaten the last one :-(

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 04 Nov 2012 14:10:41 -0500, James Silverton
wrote:

On 11/4/2012 1:41 PM, pavane wrote:

"James Silverton" wrote in message
I had toasted Thomas' English Muffins with breakfast. I wonder if
anyone agrees with me to wish they were about twice the size?

In diameter, not in depth. I have never been a Wolferman's fan,
but Thomas' is a national treasure.

pavane

I guess I'd better be specific :-) If the diameter were increased by an
inch, it would almost do what I'd like. Don't require me to measure my
muffins, I've eaten the last one :-(

Okay, I can go along with that... I know they used to make a "sandwich
size" but apparently don't anymore.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

I had toasted Thomas' English Muffins with breakfast. I wonder if anyone
agrees with me to wish they were about twice the size?
--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Thomas' are crap. Get the Bay's in the refrigerated section, they are
much more authentic.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 4, 10:25*am, James Silverton
wrote:
I had toasted Thomas' English Muffins with breakfast. I wonder if anyone
agrees with me to wish they were about twice the size?

I agree they could have a larger diameter, that's why I make my own.
Easy peasy, stove-top.
....Picky
Old 04-11-2012, 08:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:

Thomas' are crap. Get the Bay's in the refrigerated section, they are
much more authentic.

The difference is easy to taste, but it depends what you're using them
in. To make a sandwich with a savory filling, Bay's (or, even better,
Wolferman's) are my preference. But butter and jam, I prefer Thomas's.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/4/12 1:26 PM, James Silverton wrote:
I had toasted Thomas' English Muffins with breakfast. I wonder if anyone
agrees with me to wish they were about twice the size?

Do you have a bread machine? Loaves of English muffin bread are really
easy to make, and taste great. Plus you get nooks and crannies on *both*
sides!

-- Larry
Old 05-11-2012, 01:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/4/12 6:37 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:
On Sun, 04 Nov 2012 17:44:47 -0500, pltrgyst
wrote:

Do you have a bread machine? Loaves of English muffin bread are really
easy to make, and taste great. Plus you get nooks and crannies on *both*
sides!

Do you have a particular recipe you like? If so, could you post it,
or point the way to it?

Here's my wife's adaptation:

English Muffin Loaf

Ingredients:

1 package dry yeast (1.5 tsp)
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
2 tsp salt
4 cups bread flour
2 cups hot water (120-130 deg F)
1/2 tsp baking soda dissolved in 1 tbs warm water

Put the hot water, salt, and baking soda mixture into the bread machine.
Add the flour. Make a small well in the center of the flour, and place
the yeast in that well.

Set the machine for a standard loaf, with one rise, and let 'er go.

When finished, remove the pan from the machine, remove the loaf, and
allow it to cool thoroughly on a rack before cutting.

Adapted from the manual, standard oven recipe in Bernard Clayton's "New
Complete Book of Breads (revised and expanded)".

-- Larry

Old 27-11-2012, 08:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/4/12 6:37 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:

Do you have a particular recipe you like? If so, could you post it,
or point the way to it?

Christine

I haven't made this in years (perhaps with weaker nukers?) but the
microwave version was wonderful. While it comes out blandly white, once
you slice and toast it- perfecto!

English Muffin Loaf

Recipe By :Fleishmann's Yeast Co.
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breads Breakfast

6 cups unsifted flour
2 packages active dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups milk
1/2 cup water
cornmeal

Combine 3 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda. Heat milk and
water until very warm. Add to dry ingredients and beat well. Stir in
the remaining 3 cups of flour to make a stiff batter. Spoon into 2 loaf
pans that have been greased and sprinkled with cornmeal. Sprinkle tops
with cornmeal. Cover: let rise in a warm place, free from draft, for 45
min.
Bake at 400 for 25 min. Remove from pans and cool.

To make in Microwave:
prepare as directed except reduce the white flour by 1 cup when stirring
in the second addition of flour to make a stiff batter. Spoon batter
into two loaf dishes that are greased and sprinkled with cornmeal.
Rise as directed.
Microwave each loaf on high for 6 min 30 seconds. Allow to rest for 5
min before removing from pans.

To serve slice and toast:

English Muffins Gary General Cooking 4 15-06-2014 08:15 AM
Using English muffins ---- and more Sky General Cooking 21 05-10-2010 10:56 PM
English Muffins , just the best Food Snob®[_2_] General Cooking 14 09-08-2010 10:30 PM
T's English Muffins Duckie ® Recipes 0 15-03-2004 01:20 PM