Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default English Muffins , just the best

On Aug 5, 2:45*am, atec77 > wrote:
> Ingredients
> • * * 1 cup milk
> • * * 2 tablespoons white sugar
> • * * 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
> • * * 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
> • * * 1/4 cup melted shortening

What a moron.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Food Snob®" > ha scritto nel messaggio
On Aug 5, 2:45 am, atec77 > wrote:
> Ingredients
> • 1 cup milk
> • 2 tablespoons white sugar
> • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
> • 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
> • 1/4 cup melted shortening

What a moron.

How predictable and incorrect. Shortening can be any solid fat, dumbo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 6, 1:51*am, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "Food Snob®" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Aug 5, 2:45 am, atec77 > wrote:> Ingredients
> > • 1 cup milk
> > • 2 tablespoons white sugar
> > • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
> > • 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
> > • 1/4 cup melted shortening

> What a moron.
>
> How predictable and incorrect. *Shortening can be any solid fat, dumbo.

Of course no one would read the bad excuse for a recipe, then assume
that "shortening" meant Crisco-type, partially hydrogenated
shortening. I mean, no one would be f-ing stupid enough to use that
shit these days, right?

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/6/2010 06:05, Food Snob® wrote:
> Of course no one would read the bad excuse for a recipe, then assume
> that "shortening" meant Crisco-type, partially hydrogenated
> shortening. I mean, no one would be f-ing stupid enough to use that
> shit these days, right?

Shortening is shortening, no matter what the product is called.

And yes, the Crisco-type solid shortenings are used all the time by all
kinds of people. There is no greater harm in using those than in using
butter, and they are far better baking result-wise and health-wise than
most of the butter imitators on the market.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pennyaline" > wrote in message
> On 8/6/2010 06:05, Food Snob® wrote:
>> Of course no one would read the bad excuse for a recipe, then assume
>> that "shortening" meant Crisco-type, partially hydrogenated
>> shortening. I mean, no one would be f-ing stupid enough to use that
>> shit these days, right?

> Shortening is shortening, no matter what the product is called.
>
> And yes, the Crisco-type solid shortenings are used all the time by all
> kinds of people. There is no greater harm in using those than in using
> butter, and they are far better baking result-wise and health-wise than
> most of the butter imitators on the market.

Does it work better than butter? I haven't seen Crisco here. I use lard or
butter.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote:
> "Food Snob®" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Aug 5, 2:45 am, atec77 > wrote:> Ingredients
> > • 1 cup milk
> > • 2 tablespoons white sugar
> > • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
> > • 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
> > • 1/4 cup melted shortening

> What a moron.
>
> How predictable and incorrect. Shortening can be any solid fat, dumbo.

Of course no one would read the bad excuse for a recipe, then assumethat
"shortening" meant Crisco-type, partially hydrogenatedshortening. I mean,
no one would be f-ing stupid enough to use that
shit these days, right?

Only you assume that. And you always do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message

> "Food Snob®" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> "Giusi" > wrote:
>> "Food Snob®" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> On Aug 5, 2:45 am, atec77 > wrote:> Ingredients
>> > • 1 cup milk
>> > • 2 tablespoons white sugar
>> > • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
>> > • 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
>> > • 1/4 cup melted shortening

>> What a moron.
>>
>> How predictable and incorrect. Shortening can be any solid fat, dumbo.

> Of course no one would read the bad excuse for a recipe, then assumethat
> "shortening" meant Crisco-type, partially hydrogenatedshortening. I mean,
> no one would be f-ing stupid enough to use that
> shit these days, right?
>

> Only you assume that. And you always do.

<g>

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 05:05:00 -0700 (PDT), Food Snob® wrote:

> On Aug 6, 1:51Â*am, "Giusi" > wrote:
>> "Food Snob®" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> On Aug 5, 2:45 am, atec77 > wrote:> Ingredients
>>> €¢ 1 cup milk
>>> €¢ 2 tablespoons white sugar
>>> €¢ 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
>>> €¢ 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
>>> €¢ 1/4 cup melted shortening

>> What a moron.
>>
>> How predictable and incorrect. Â*Shortening can be any solid fat, dumbo.

> Of course no one would read the bad excuse for a recipe, then assume
> that "shortening" meant Crisco-type, partially hydrogenated
> shortening. I mean, no one would be f-ing stupid enough to use that
> shit these days, right?
>
> --Bryan

considering that some go off like old firehouse horses when the bell rings
at the mention of shortening, i'd say yes.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 12:38:31 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 05:05:00 -0700 (PDT), Food Snob® wrote:
>
>> On Aug 6, 1:51*am, "Giusi" > wrote:
>>> "Food Snob®" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> On Aug 5, 2:45 am, atec77 > wrote:> Ingredients
>>>
>>> What a moron.
>>>
>>> How predictable and incorrect. *Shortening can be any solid fat, dumbo.

>> Of course no one would read the bad excuse for a recipe, then assume
>> that "shortening" meant Crisco-type, partially hydrogenated
>> shortening. I mean, no one would be f-ing stupid enough to use that
>> shit these days, right?
>>
>> --Bryan

>considering that some go off like old firehouse horses when the bell rings
>at the mention of shortening, i'd say yes.

In wheat flour baking all fat is shortening (vegetable or animal,
solid or liquid), doesn't matter in what form. And hasn't a whit to
do with Crisco the brand... Crisco came to be called shortening
because it became a popular baking fat and how all fats literally
shorten gluten strands... usta be another popular brand of
hydrogenated vegetable fat; Spry. There is really no difference
between Crisco and margerine other than the fake yellow and fake
butter flavor. Hydrogenated vegetable fat is very popular for use in
commercial deep fryers... when used for deep frying calling it
shortening is a misnomer... same when using it for frosting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Food Snob® > wrote:

> On Aug 6, 1:51*am, "Giusi" > wrote:
> > "Food Snob®" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > On Aug 5, 2:45 am, atec77 > wrote:> Ingredients
> > > € 1 cup milk
> > > € 2 tablespoons white sugar
> > > € 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
> > > € 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
> > > € 1/4 cup melted shortening

> > What a moron.
> >
> > How predictable and incorrect. *Shortening can be any solid fat, dumbo.

> Of course no one would read the bad excuse for a recipe, then assume
> that "shortening" meant Crisco-type, partially hydrogenated
> shortening. I mean, no one would be f-ing stupid enough to use that
> shit these days, right?

I think I've posted this before, so sorry.

My son is a cook, but not into baking. The other cook where he works
likes to bake. Not surprisingly, when they are both working in the
kitchen, she does the baking. Her favorite shortening is bear fat. As
she is fond of saying, "first I have to kill myself a bear". She's a
quiet, tiny little woman. But she does like to hunt.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pennyasinine (was: English Muffins , just the best)

On Aug 6, 7:18*am, Pennyaline > wrote:
> On 8/6/2010 06:05, Food Snob® wrote:
>
> > Of course no one would read the bad excuse for a recipe, then assume
> > that "shortening" meant Crisco-type, partially hydrogenated
> > shortening. *I mean, no one would be f-ing stupid enough to use that
> > shit these days, right?

> Shortening is shortening, no matter what the product is called.
>
> And yes, the Crisco-type solid shortenings are used all the time by all
> kinds of people. There is no greater harm in using those than in using
> butter, and they are far better baking result-wise and health-wise than
> most of the butter imitators on the market.

You should call yourself Pennyasinine, because what you wrote above is
astoundingly stupid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroge...h_implications
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_f...and_regulation

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 03:29:53 -0700 (PDT), Food Snob®
> wrote:

>On Aug 6, 7:18*am, Pennyaline > wrote:
>> On 8/6/2010 06:05, Food Snob® wrote:
>>
>> > Of course no one would read the bad excuse for a recipe, then assume
>> > that "shortening" meant Crisco-type, partially hydrogenated
>> > shortening. *I mean, no one would be f-ing stupid enough to use that
>> > shit these days, right?

>> Shortening is shortening, no matter what the product is called.
>>
>> And yes, the Crisco-type solid shortenings are used all the time by all
>> kinds of people. There is no greater harm in using those than in using
>> butter, and they are far better baking result-wise and health-wise than
>> most of the butter imitators on the market.

>You should call yourself Pennyasinine, because what you wrote above is
>astoundingly stupid.
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroge...h_implications
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_f...and_regulation
>
>--Bryan

And you should call yourself "Bound up Bryan" because you are in
serious need of an enema.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline wrote:

> Shortening is shortening, no matter what the product is called.
>
> And yes, the Crisco-type solid shortenings are used all the time by all
> kinds of people.

Well it is in cooking textbooks. In the actual grocery store if you
look for a package that has the word shortening on it what you'll find
is Crisco and its competitors. I figure a lot more people read labels
in grocery stores than dig through cooking textbooks. The foodies who
post on RFC may well love digging through cooking textbooks but we
aren't in the majority on the topic.

> There is no greater harm in using those than in using butter

Not true. Crisco type solid shortening still has plenty of transfat.
That's an unhealthy ingredient.

> and they are far better baking result-wise and health-wise than
> most of the butter imitators on the market.

Except for real butter and real lard, neither of which are imitators.
;^)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> Pennyaline wrote:
> >
> > Shortening is shortening, no matter what the product is called.
> >
> > And yes, the Crisco-type solid shortenings are used all the time by all
> > kinds of people.

> Well it is in cooking textbooks. In the actual grocery store if you
> look for a package that has the word shortening on it what you'll find
> is Crisco and its competitors. I figure a lot more people read labels
> in grocery stores than dig through cooking textbooks. The foodies who
> post on RFC may well love digging through cooking textbooks but we
> aren't in the majority on the topic.
>
> > There is no greater harm in using those than in using butter

> Not true. Crisco type solid shortening still has plenty of transfat.
> That's an unhealthy ingredient.
>
> > and they are far better baking result-wise and health-wise than
> > most of the butter imitators on the market.

> Except for real butter and real lard, neither of which are imitators.
> ;^)

http://www.crisco.com/Products/Produ...=17&prodID=315

There's 12g of fat in a tablespoon serving. It says 0g trans fat, but
we know that means about .5g, or 4%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat#Presence_in_food

"A type of trans fat occurs naturally in the milk and body fat of
ruminants (such as cattle and sheep) at a level of 2-5% of total fat."

In addition, butterfat contains twice as much saturated fat as Crisco.

So, butter doesn't look much better than Crisco, to me. Lard looks
pretty good, as it isn't a ruminant. Still, lard is high in saturated
fat.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>> Pennyaline wrote:

>> > There is no greater harm in using those than in using butter

>> Not true. Crisco type solid shortening still has plenty of transfat.
>> That's an unhealthy ingredient.

> http://www.crisco.com/Products/Produ...=17&prodID=315
>
> There's 12g of fat in a tablespoon serving. It says 0g trans fat, but
> we know that means about .5g, or 4%.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat#Presence_in_food
>
> "A type of trans fat occurs naturally in the milk and body fat of
> ruminants (such as cattle and sheep) at a level of 2-5% of total fat."

Interesting. There are also transfat "free" margarines on the market
now. Of course they too have the same round-up issue. The serving size
is chosen so the 0.49 gram can be rounded down to zero. But it's now in
the same range as real butter - Good stuff.

> In addition, butterfat contains twice as much saturated fat as Crisco.

Go low carb and saturated fat doesn't matter. Since the subject line is
English muffins that's not an option in this case. What's a low carb
English muffin? Something that doesn't even slightly resemble an
English muffin. I get wheat-free ones that aren't low carb and they are
still very different from the real ones.

English Muffins Gary General Cooking 4 15-06-2014 08:15 AM
English Muffins James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 10 27-11-2012 08:11 PM
Using English muffins ---- and more Sky General Cooking 21 05-10-2010 10:56 PM
T's English Muffins Duckie ® Recipes 0 15-03-2004 01:20 PM