Old 04-05-2004, 10:20 PM
William R. Watt

Default material for jelly bag?

can anyone recommend a good fabric for making some jelly bags?
I'd be interested reading about the advantages and disadvantages of
the recommendations.
um, while we're at it is there a preferred shape for jelly bags?

thank you.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Old 04-05-2004, 10:59 PM
pickle

"William R. Watt" wrote in message
can anyone recommend a good fabric for making some jelly bags?
I'd be interested reading about the advantages and disadvantages of
the recommendations.
um, while we're at it is there a preferred shape for jelly bags?

thank you.

Say Hey !!

Use Irish linen. Ball Bluebook products sell a nice jelly bag w/stand. Try
it you'll like it.

Old 05-05-2004, 12:30 AM
George Shirley

pickle wrote:
"William R. Watt" wrote in message

can anyone recommend a good fabric for making some jelly bags?
I'd be interested reading about the advantages and disadvantages of
the recommendations.
um, while we're at it is there a preferred shape for jelly bags?

thank you.

Say Hey !!

Use Irish linen. Ball Bluebook products sell a nice jelly bag w/stand. Try
it you'll like it.

I certainly like mine and have used it numerous times in the last four
years. Rinse it out by hand, toss it in the washing machine with the
white clothes, add a little bleach and it's back to pristine white again.

George

Old 05-05-2004, 06:04 PM
George Shirley

I was in Sam's Club the other day and they had sugar in 25 and 50 lb
cloth bags. Hadn't thought of bags like that in years. Of course I have
no use for 25 lbs of sugar much less 50 lbs.

George

MOM PEAGRAM wrote:
Don't know if they are still available as I've had mine since the 60's.
Made from recycled sugar bags.

"George Shirley" wrote in message
news
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

In article ,
(William R. Watt) wrote:

can anyone recommend a good fabric for making some jelly bags? I'd be
interested reading about the advantages and disadvantages of the
recommendations. um, while we're at it is there a preferred shape for
jelly bags?

thank you.

I line a colander with about 4 thicknesses of cheesecloth. Or one old
cotton dishtowel. I've never used the bags that hang from a stand.

Our last child was born nearly 41 years ago but we still have some of
his cloth diapers. I use them folded in a colander when I need to drain
something. Of course they've been washed about 300 times. Also bought
half a bolt of cheesecloth for a couple of bucks at a garage sale and
use it. Depends on the volume of the job I'm doing at the time. Most any
clean cloth will do to strain jelly juices through.

George

Old 05-05-2004, 10:23 PM
MOM PEAGRAM

Depending on the price it would be a good deal for us. My hubby makes his
own beer.

. ..

MOM PEAGRAM wrote:
Don't know if they are still available as I've had mine since the 60's.
Made from recycled sugar bags.

"George Shirley" wrote in message
news

Old 06-05-2004, 02:57 AM
William R. Watt

thank you for the replies.

the cottom tea towels I used last year, doubled and tied up with string,
became discoloured which is no problem, and frayed (if that's the right
word) which is. I was wondering about using light cotton canvas from the
fabric store because the cotton swells when wet and becomes watertight
which is why it is used to make tents and awnings and such.

I have not used a collander or similar because I like the way the juice
drips off the bottom of a bag right into a collecting jar.

I buy sugar for wine and jelly at a wholesale cash and carry in a large
paper bag like flour at quite a discount from the price at the
supermarket. (I buy rolled oats in 25 kg bags there at quite a savings as
well. One bag lasts me about 8 months.) I make jelly without buying pectin
but I did not know you could make it without buying sugar.

we are in the middle of spring rummage sale season in our area. I am
looking for jelly making paraphenalia, having purchased 2 large $1 pots
and a 50 cent candy thermometer so far. jelly jars cost 25 cents each at
rummage sales here. I have an adequate supply from the fall season rummage
sales.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old 06-05-2004, 05:35 AM
Bob (this one)

William R. Watt wrote:

thank you for the replies.

the cottom tea towels I used last year, doubled and tied up with string,
became discoloured which is no problem, and frayed (if that's the right
word) which is. I was wondering about using light cotton canvas from the
fabric store because the cotton swells when wet and becomes watertight
which is why it is used to make tents and awnings and such.

I use muslin bags sewed into long (18 inches) cone shapes with tabs
sewed on top, like long pastry bags but with no hole in the pointed
end. Pour in the goodies and hang from the pot rack in the kitchen to
drizzle into a bucket on the table beneath.

Wash in the machine with detergent and a little bleach. Doesn't get
all the color out, but who cares. Rinse, rinse and rinse again.

Pastorio

Old 07-05-2004, 07:12 PM
Mutti Pie

I use pillow cases found at a second hand store (6 for $1). They make
great homescool science collection bags later.