Old 18-09-2004, 02:11 PM
Renee

Default Roasting Pan material?

I need to purchase a new roasting pan for this year's Thanksgiving turkey.
Can anyone give me their thoughts as to the best material it should be made
of? I want it to make good stove-top gravy with the drippings and be easy to
clean. I was thinking of going with an all stainless steel one -- the same
as my regular pots and pans.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Renee

Old 18-09-2004, 02:29 PM
Jack Schidt®

"Renee" wrote in message
I need to purchase a new roasting pan for this year's Thanksgiving turkey.
Can anyone give me their thoughts as to the best material it should be made
of? I want it to make good stove-top gravy with the drippings and be easy
to clean. I was thinking of going with an all stainless steel one -- the
same as my regular pots and pans.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Renee

I have a stainless oval roaster with lid and rack. It's nothing fancy as I
bought it at some factory outlet store and it's served me well for the last
10 years or so.

Jack Roastarama

Old 18-09-2004, 02:55 PM
Alan_B

"Renee" wrote in
:

I need to purchase a new roasting pan for this year's Thanksgiving
turkey. Can anyone give me their thoughts as to the best material it
should be made of? I want it to make good stove-top gravy with the
drippings and be easy to clean. I was thinking of going with an all
stainless steel one -- the same as my regular pots and pans.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Renee

I use to use that cheap old enameled job you find in many
suppermarkets...But with a convection oven I upgraded to a cheap shallow
metal roasting pan and a v-rack roaster/roasting ?? insert.

The v-rack holds the bird or roast up a little and allows drippings to
collect in the roasting pan. By holding the roast up out of the pan the
convection works better plus the bottom of what I'm roasting browns/crisps
up better.

--
Last year's nuts must go.
- Michael Odom
Old 18-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Melba's Jammin'

In article , "Renee"
wrote:

I need to purchase a new roasting pan for this year's Thanksgiving
turkey.

We use a stainless shallow roasting pan with rack. It's heavy enough
that it doesn't warp. Not terribly expensive.

Mom always used a black graniteware oval roaster.
--
-Barb, www.jamlady.eboard.com
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

Old 18-09-2004, 03:35 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Renee" wrote in message
I need to purchase a new roasting pan for this year's Thanksgiving turkey.
Can anyone give me their thoughts as to the best material it should be made
of? I want it to make good stove-top gravy with the drippings and be easy
to clean. I was thinking of going with an all stainless steel one -- the
same as my regular pots and pans.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Renee

SS is good. Expensive, but justifiable if you use it a lot. We use an
aluminum pan from Wal Mart. Fairly thick, works well, makes a good lasagna
pan also.

Old 18-09-2004, 04:08 PM
J.J. in WA

One time on Usenet, "Renee" said:

I need to purchase a new roasting pan for this year's Thanksgiving turkey.
Can anyone give me their thoughts as to the best material it should be made
of? I want it to make good stove-top gravy with the drippings and be easy to
clean. I was thinking of going with an all stainless steel one -- the same
as my regular pots and pans.

I'm a fan of granite ware stuff:

http://cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=163281

But that's probably just 'cuz I inherited two nice roasters
several years ago, and haven't needed to upgrade(?) yet...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF

Old 18-09-2004, 07:40 PM
PENMART01

"Renee" writes:

I need to purchase a new roasting pan for this year's Thanksgiving turkey.
Can anyone give me their thoughts as to the best material it should be made
of? I want it to make good stove-top gravy with the drippings and be easy to
clean. I was thinking of going with an all stainless steel one -- the same
as my regular pots and pans.

I recommend the Farberware SS Classic roasting pan... been using the same for
more than 30 years, they're strong and have no rolled edges so is easy to keep
them clean, dishwasher safe too. I like that they're not so deep as to prevent
proper browning... deep pans inhibit browning. Placing one pan inside another,
as some do with aluminum disposables greatly interferes with proper browning of
large roasts. I have the large Farberware pan for turkeys and other large
roasts, I also have two of the Farberware medum sized roasting pans, these with
a non-stick coating, I like them because their size permits that both will fit
comfortably on my oven rack side by side... the long ways front to back... it's
like having an extra oven. Before purchasing any large roasting pan measure
your oven carefully to determine that the pan will fit on the rack and
especially that the oven door will close properly... not checking for fit is
the number one way that glass panel oven doors get shattered. I think the
Farberware Classic roasting pans are the best on the market, will last at least
two lifetimes worth of constant use, and are reasonably priced... no one needs
a $100 dollar roasting pan, not unless they need something to razzle-dazzle
folks so it's not noticed how they can't cook.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Old 19-09-2004, 10:15 PM
Renee

"PENMART01" wrote in message
"Renee" writes:

[...]

My pots and pans are Farberware and have served me well for the last 25
years. So I think this might be good choice as you suggest.

Do you know what size Farberware pan you use for turkeys? I see they have
two sizes that might be good: Medium 11 x 17, and Large 13 x 20. I was
thinking the medium one would be big enough for a 15 - 18 lb turkey. What do
you think?

Thanks again,

Renee