Bob (this one)

Default material for jelly bag?

William R. Watt wrote:

> thank you for the replies.
>
> the cottom tea towels I used last year, doubled and tied up with string,
> became discoloured which is no problem, and frayed (if that's the right
> word) which is. I was wondering about using light cotton canvas from the
> fabric store because the cotton swells when wet and becomes watertight
> which is why it is used to make tents and awnings and such.

I use muslin bags sewed into long (18 inches) cone shapes with tabs
sewed on top, like long pastry bags but with no hole in the pointed
end. Pour in the goodies and hang from the pot rack in the kitchen to
drizzle into a bucket on the table beneath.

Wash in the machine with detergent and a little bleach. Doesn't get
all the color out, but who cares. Rinse, rinse and rinse again.

Pastorio