William R. Watt

Default material for jelly bag?

Melba's Jammin' ) writes:
> In article >,
> (William R. Watt) wrote:

>...I was wondering about using light cotton canvas from the
>> fabric store because the cotton swells when wet and becomes watertight
>> which is why it is used to make tents and awnings and such.

> That seems to be exactly the opposite of what you want. Unless I'm not
> understanding something (entirely possible).

which is why I was wondering about cottom ...

>> I have not used a collander or similar because I like the way the juice
>> drips off the bottom of a bag right into a collecting jar.

> Are you then preserving the juice, William?
> I usually strain my juice into a kettle or other container then transfer
> to something else; sometimes glass, sometimes plastic

Last fall I collected the juice and refrigerated until I had time and
energy to make jelly. Some recipes say to mix the fruit and strain
together but I strained fruits separately and mixed the juices later so I
could try different combinations of fruit. Toward the end I tried wierd
combinations to use up what juice was left.

homepage:
www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm