FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   material for jelly bag? (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/8743-material-jelly-bag.html)

William R. Watt 04-05-2004 10:20 PM

material for jelly bag?

can anyone recommend a good fabric for making some jelly bags?
I'd be interested reading about the advantages and disadvantages of
the recommendations.
um, while we're at it is there a preferred shape for jelly bags?

thank you.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

pickle 04-05-2004 10:59 PM

material for jelly bag?

"William R. Watt" > wrote in message
> can anyone recommend a good fabric for making some jelly bags?
> I'd be interested reading about the advantages and disadvantages of
> the recommendations.
> um, while we're at it is there a preferred shape for jelly bags?
>
> thank you.
>

> Say Hey !!

Use Irish linen. Ball Bluebook products sell a nice jelly bag w/stand. Try
it you'll like it.

George Shirley 05-05-2004 12:30 AM

material for jelly bag?

pickle wrote:
> "William R. Watt" > wrote in message
>
>>can anyone recommend a good fabric for making some jelly bags?
>>I'd be interested reading about the advantages and disadvantages of
>>the recommendations.
>>um, while we're at it is there a preferred shape for jelly bags?
>>
>>thank you.
>>

>>Say Hey !!

> Use Irish linen. Ball Bluebook products sell a nice jelly bag w/stand. Try
> it you'll like it.

I certainly like mine and have used it numerous times in the last four
years. Rinse it out by hand, toss it in the washing machine with the
white clothes, add a little bleach and it's back to pristine white again.

George

Melba's Jammin' 05-05-2004 01:06 PM

material for jelly bag?

In article >,
(William R. Watt) wrote:

> can anyone recommend a good fabric for making some jelly bags? I'd be
> interested reading about the advantages and disadvantages of the
> recommendations. um, while we're at it is there a preferred shape for
> jelly bags?
>
> thank you.

I line a colander with about 4 thicknesses of cheesecloth. Or one old
cotton dishtowel. I've never used the bags that hang from a stand.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-29-04.

George Shirley 05-05-2004 03:23 PM

material for jelly bag?

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> (William R. Watt) wrote:
>

>>can anyone recommend a good fabric for making some jelly bags? I'd be
>>interested reading about the advantages and disadvantages of the
>>recommendations. um, while we're at it is there a preferred shape for
>>jelly bags?
>>
>>thank you.

> I line a colander with about 4 thicknesses of cheesecloth. Or one old
> cotton dishtowel. I've never used the bags that hang from a stand.

Our last child was born nearly 41 years ago but we still have some of
his cloth diapers. I use them folded in a colander when I need to drain
something. Of course they've been washed about 300 times. Also bought
half a bolt of cheesecloth for a couple of bucks at a garage sale and
use it. Depends on the volume of the job I'm doing at the time. Most any
clean cloth will do to strain jelly juices through.

George

MOM PEAGRAM 05-05-2004 04:01 PM

material for jelly bag?

Don't know if they are still available as I've had mine since the 60's.
Made from recycled sugar bags.

t...

George Shirley 05-05-2004 06:04 PM

material for jelly bag?

I was in Sam's Club the other day and they had sugar in 25 and 50 lb
cloth bags. Hadn't thought of bags like that in years. Of course I have
no use for 25 lbs of sugar much less 50 lbs.

George

MOM PEAGRAM 05-05-2004 10:23 PM

material for jelly bag?

Depending on the price it would be a good deal for us. My hubby makes his
own beer.

. ..

William R. Watt 06-05-2004 02:57 AM

material for jelly bag?

thank you for the replies.

the cottom tea towels I used last year, doubled and tied up with string,
became discoloured which is no problem, and frayed (if that's the right
word) which is. I was wondering about using light cotton canvas from the
fabric store because the cotton swells when wet and becomes watertight
which is why it is used to make tents and awnings and such.

I have not used a collander or similar because I like the way the juice
drips off the bottom of a bag right into a collecting jar.

I buy sugar for wine and jelly at a wholesale cash and carry in a large
paper bag like flour at quite a discount from the price at the
supermarket. (I buy rolled oats in 25 kg bags there at quite a savings as
well. One bag lasts me about 8 months.) I make jelly without buying pectin
but I did not know you could make it without buying sugar.

we are in the middle of spring rummage sale season in our area. I am
looking for jelly making paraphenalia, having purchased 2 large $1 pots
and a 50 cent candy thermometer so far. jelly jars cost 25 cents each at
rummage sales here. I have an adequate supply from the fall season rummage
sales.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Bob (this one) 06-05-2004 05:35 AM

material for jelly bag?

William R. Watt wrote:

> thank you for the replies.
>
> the cottom tea towels I used last year, doubled and tied up with string,
> became discoloured which is no problem, and frayed (if that's the right
> word) which is. I was wondering about using light cotton canvas from the
> fabric store because the cotton swells when wet and becomes watertight
> which is why it is used to make tents and awnings and such.

I use muslin bags sewed into long (18 inches) cone shapes with tabs
sewed on top, like long pastry bags but with no hole in the pointed
end. Pour in the goodies and hang from the pot rack in the kitchen to
drizzle into a bucket on the table beneath.

Wash in the machine with detergent and a little bleach. Doesn't get
all the color out, but who cares. Rinse, rinse and rinse again.

Pastorio

Mutti Pie 07-05-2004 07:12 PM

material for jelly bag?

I use pillow cases found at a second hand store (6 for $1). They make
great homescool science collection bags later.

Melba's Jammin' 08-05-2004 03:21 PM

material for jelly bag?

In article >,
(William R. Watt) wrote:

> thank you for the replies.
>
> the cottom tea towels I used last year, doubled and tied up with string,
> became discoloured which is no problem, and frayed (if that's the right
> word) which is. I was wondering about using light cotton canvas from the
> fabric store because the cotton swells when wet and becomes watertight
> which is why it is used to make tents and awnings and such.

That seems to be exactly the opposite of what you want. Unless I'm not
understanding something (entirely possible).

> I have not used a collander or similar because I like the way the juice
> drips off the bottom of a bag right into a collecting jar.

Are you then preserving the juice, William?
I usually strain my juice into a kettle or other container then transfer
to something else; sometimes glass, sometimes plastic
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 5/7/04 - Fajita Soup.

William R. Watt 10-05-2004 06:54 PM

material for jelly bag?

Melba's Jammin' ) writes:
> In article >,
> (William R. Watt) wrote:

>...I was wondering about using light cotton canvas from the
>> fabric store because the cotton swells when wet and becomes watertight
>> which is why it is used to make tents and awnings and such.

> That seems to be exactly the opposite of what you want. Unless I'm not
> understanding something (entirely possible).

which is why I was wondering about cottom ...

>> I have not used a collander or similar because I like the way the juice
>> drips off the bottom of a bag right into a collecting jar.

> Are you then preserving the juice, William?
> I usually strain my juice into a kettle or other container then transfer
> to something else; sometimes glass, sometimes plastic

Last fall I collected the juice and refrigerated until I had time and
energy to make jelly. Some recipes say to mix the fruit and strain
together but I strained fruits separately and mixed the juices later so I
could try different combinations of fruit. Toward the end I tried wierd
combinations to use up what juice was left.

homepage:
www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Melba's Jammin' 12-05-2004 02:17 AM

material for jelly bag?

In article >,
(William R. Watt) wrote:

> Last fall I collected the juice and refrigerated until I had time and
> energy to make jelly. Some recipes say to mix the fruit and strain
> together but I strained fruits separately and mixed the juices later so I
> could try different combinations of fruit. Toward the end I tried wierd
> combinations to use up what juice was left.

Ah, yes . . . clear-the-fridge jelly. I know it well. Also known as
"Tutti-Frutti Jelly" "-)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 5/7/04 - Fajita Soup.

George Shirley 12-05-2004 03:53 AM

material for jelly bag?

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> (William R. Watt) wrote:
>

>>Last fall I collected the juice and refrigerated until I had time and
>>energy to make jelly. Some recipes say to mix the fruit and strain
>>together but I strained fruits separately and mixed the juices later so I
>>could try different combinations of fruit. Toward the end I tried wierd
>>combinations to use up what juice was left.

> Ah, yes . . . clear-the-fridge jelly. I know it well. Also known as
> "Tutti-Frutti Jelly" "-)

We call it "Whazzat jelly" around here.

George

Ellen Wickberg 14-05-2004 03:55 AM

material for jelly bag?

in article , Melba's
Jammin' at

(William R. Watt) wrote:

>> can anyone recommend a good fabric for making some jelly bags? I'd be
>> interested reading about the advantages and disadvantages of the
>> recommendations. um, while we're at it is there a preferred shape for
>> jelly bags?
>>
>> thank you.

> I line a colander with about 4 thicknesses of cheesecloth. Or one old
> cotton disht

Black nylon tule works really well ( very fine mesh, of course) and never
looks grungy. Ellen

George Shirley 14-05-2004 01:33 PM

material for jelly bag?

(William R. Watt) wrote:

>>>can anyone recommend a good fabric for making some jelly bags? I'd be
>>>interested reading about the advantages and disadvantages of the
>>>recommendations. um, while we're at it is there a preferred shape for
>>>jelly bags?
>>>
>>>thank you.

>>I line a colander with about 4 thicknesses of cheesecloth. Or one old
>>cotton disht

> Black nylon tule works really well ( very fine mesh, of course) and never
> looks grungy. Ellen

But I look old in black tule. <BSEG>

George

Ellen Wickberg 14-05-2004 09:44 PM

material for jelly bag?

in article , Lou at
am wrote on 14/5/04 3:01 am:

> I don't know what "tule" is, but - now don't laugh - I use my wife's
> clean pantyhose for a myriad of purposes. They make great tomato
> plant tyers and when placed in a colander, filter fairly finely. A
> side benefit is that I always get a pleasant reminder of her when I
> use them.
>
> Lou
>
> On Fri, 14 May 2004 02:55:40 GMT, Ellen Wickberg >
> wrote:
>
>> in article
, Melba's

(William R. Watt) wrote:

>>> I line a colander with about 4 thicknesses of cheesecloth. Or one old
>>> cotton disht

>> Black nylon tule works really well ( very fine mesh, of course) and never
>> looks grungy. Ellen

Tule is the netting that ballet outfits are made from.
Ellen