Melba's Jammin'

Default material for jelly bag?

In article >,
(William R. Watt) wrote:

> thank you for the replies.
>
> the cottom tea towels I used last year, doubled and tied up with string,
> became discoloured which is no problem, and frayed (if that's the right
> word) which is. I was wondering about using light cotton canvas from the
> fabric store because the cotton swells when wet and becomes watertight
> which is why it is used to make tents and awnings and such.

That seems to be exactly the opposite of what you want. Unless I'm not
understanding something (entirely possible).

> I have not used a collander or similar because I like the way the juice
> drips off the bottom of a bag right into a collecting jar.

Are you then preserving the juice, William?
I usually strain my juice into a kettle or other container then transfer
to something else; sometimes glass, sometimes plastic
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 5/7/04 - Fajita Soup.