Old 16-08-2004, 09:19 PM
Steve House

Here's a recipe that I've made and liked, was well received.

Borrowed from Cocinas de Neuvo Mexico cookbook from the Public Service
Company of New Mexico

Guisado de Chile Verde (Green Chile Stew)
Yield: 6 servings Cooking Time: Approximately
Temperatu Medium, Low 1 hour
Freezes Well

2 pounds pork, venison, or beef, cubed 3 cups tomatoes
1/4 cup flour 2 cups water
2 tablespoons shortening 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 large onions, chopped 2 teaspoons salt
3 cups chopped green chile

1. Dredge the meat in flour. Place the shortening in a heavy skillet
and brown meat at medium heat. Place meat in a large stewing pot.
2. Sauté the onions in the remaining shortening and add to
stewing pot.
3. Add all remaining ingredients to stewing pot and simmer at low
heat for 1 hour.
When I've made it I also added some carrots

Serve with pinto beans, warm tortillas and honey

Steve House

"John Droge" wrote in message
ink.net...

"jw" wrote in message

"Tuffchett" wrote in message
Are you old enough to remember La Hacienda in Old Town?
I use to cook there in the 70's I worked the line and was the
Sopapilla Maker in this booth they had right next to the kitchen.
Burned my hands alot in that smoking little room. Enchiladas were
rolled or flat. 1 flat 2 flat 3flat with a little cheese and or meat
or both, stacked, Whith red or green chilli.
I still keep red and green chilli in the fridge ALL the time. I put

it
on everything. Never going to give up my chilli. Never.
David

David,
Two of the best "eating" years of my life were spent in the service at
Sandia Base in the mid-60's. I had never eaten any "Mexican" food
before that time. Needless to say I fell in love with New Mexican
style dishes. My fondest memories are the Sopapilla and the Green
Chilli. The oldtimers on the base loved to catch the newbie with "You
better order the green because it's not as hot as the red." We spent
a lot of time in a little place -- and bear in mind my memory is not
what it use to be -- called Jotters. If I recall it was a drive-in on
of the main streets. I have ask on occasion if the place still
existed but noone remembers Jotters. We would stop in after enjoying
the Albuquerque night life -- the Hitching Post and a bar downtown
that was the roughest bar I've ever been in and I grew up in the PA
coal mining area -- and have a bowl of Green Chilli stew.
My question is -- was the name Jotters? If not what was the name of
the drive-in eating places in the downtown area in the 60's. If I
thought that Jotters still existed I would change my travel plans this
fall.

JW

Say with you guys all familiar with NM do any of you have a good recipe

for
Green Chile Stew?. There used to be a place on Sante Fe here in Denver

that
had what the called "New Mexico Style", it was basically meat green chiles
and potatoes in a pretty watery sauce that I liked a lot. It's gone now

and
my attempts at duping have been disappointing.
John

Old 18-08-2004, 09:46 PM
newsuser

Are you old enough to remember La Hacienda in Old Town?
I use to cook there in the 70's I worked the line and was the
Sopapilla Maker in this booth they had right next to the kitchen.
Burned my hands alot in that smoking little room. Enchiladas were
rolled or flat. 1 flat 2 flat 3flat with a little cheese and or meat
or both, stacked, Whith red or green chilli.
I still keep red and green chilli in the fridge ALL the time. I put it
on everything. Never going to give up my chilli. Never.
David

Dave, old buddy pal... :-) How about a recipe for your Red and Green?

Getting close to that time of year!

Johann