Wayne Lundberg

Default Just Starting Out

"<RJ>" > wrote in message
> We've just moved to the SouthWest.
> and
> I'd like to edge my way into TexMex cooking.
>
> Unfortunately, my wife and I are two
> that taste soap when we eat cilantro.
>
> On the bright side, there's a FoodCity supermarket in town.
> A WIDE variety of Mexican food products.
>
> I'm ready to venture into a corn-bean salad I tasted once.
> Can anyone provide a favorite recipe that doesn't require
> too many exotic ingredients ??
>
> <rj>

My suggestion is to start learning the different tastes in a simple,
uncomplicated manner. when my uncle George came down to Mexico, never having
tasted Mexican food, we gave him a heated corn tortilla with a bit of butter
on it, rolled into a tight taco. He loved them! The next day we did the same
except not with butter, but with some avocado pulp and salt with a tad bit
of onion and cilantro. By the third day we had him eating soft tortilla
tacos filled with finely chopped broiled beef and a tad bit of fresh green
and red salsa.

For you, I would suggest the fourth day to take one of the leftover corn
tortillas, deep fry it until crisp, spread some refried beans on one
surface, sprinkle with parmesano cheese and some chicharones plus a slice or
two of avocado and enjoy one of Mexico's true delights - a tostada.

If you get back to us after your experimental dive into Mexican taste, we
will give you more. You could go through life without ever having the same
Mexican meal twice!

Wayne