John Droge

Default Just Starting Out

"jw" > wrote in message

> "Tuffchett" > wrote in message
> > Are you old enough to remember La Hacienda in Old Town?
> > I use to cook there in the 70's I worked the line and was the
> > Sopapilla Maker in this booth they had right next to the kitchen.
> > Burned my hands alot in that smoking little room. Enchiladas were
> > rolled or flat. 1 flat 2 flat 3flat with a little cheese and or meat
> > or both, stacked, Whith red or green chilli.
> > I still keep red and green chilli in the fridge ALL the time. I put

> it
> > on everything. Never going to give up my chilli. Never.
> > David

> David,
> Two of the best "eating" years of my life were spent in the service at
> Sandia Base in the mid-60's. I had never eaten any "Mexican" food
> before that time. Needless to say I fell in love with New Mexican
> style dishes. My fondest memories are the Sopapilla and the Green
> Chilli. The oldtimers on the base loved to catch the newbie with "You
> better order the green because it's not as hot as the red." We spent
> a lot of time in a little place -- and bear in mind my memory is not
> what it use to be -- called Jotters. If I recall it was a drive-in on
> of the main streets. I have ask on occasion if the place still
> existed but noone remembers Jotters. We would stop in after enjoying
> the Albuquerque night life -- the Hitching Post and a bar downtown
> that was the roughest bar I've ever been in and I grew up in the PA
> coal mining area -- and have a bowl of Green Chilli stew.
> My question is -- was the name Jotters? If not what was the name of
> the drive-in eating places in the downtown area in the 60's. If I
> thought that Jotters still existed I would change my travel plans this
> fall.
>
> JW

Say with you guys all familiar with NM do any of you have a good recipe for
Green Chile Stew?. There used to be a place on Sante Fe here in Denver that
had what the called "New Mexico Style", it was basically meat green chiles
and potatoes in a pretty watery sauce that I liked a lot. It's gone now and
my attempts at duping have been disappointing.
John