Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Starting new culture? ? ?

Thanks Jeff --

I'm not clear what you mean. Is "leuconostoc bacteria" usable for baking?

It certainly puffed up like yeast.

"Jeff Miller" > wrote in message
news:mailman.17.1163082711.2884.rec.food.sourdough @mail.otherwhen.com...

> It could be that you're just lucky, but I thin it's more likely that
> you've
> got leuconostoc bacteria taking off and not yeast.
>
> Here's a post from Peter Reinhart about it:
> http://tinyurl.com/p7ayz
>
> Full address:
> http://peterreinhart.typepad.com/pet...ugh_start.html
> --
> Jeff Miller

Tomatoes are just starting to come in Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 0 20-07-2010 06:30 PM
Starting new culture? ? ? Ray Sourdough 7 19-11-2006 07:52 PM
Starting new culture? ? ? Jeff Miller Sourdough 0 09-11-2006 03:25 PM
Starting ebrian General Cooking 41 23-01-2006 02:13 PM
Just Starting Out Mexican Cooking 36 23-08-2004 05:39 AM