Tuffchett

On 7 Aug 2004 09:25:13 -0500, "Steve House"
> wrote:

>Joining discussion late...
>
>I grew up in Albuquerque and I find "Tex-Mex" to be closer to what I grew up
>with eating in cafes in little New Mexico villages etc than anything else
>I've found in the rest of the States, including Southern California. Even
>down in Mexico itself it's not quite what I think of as "Mexican" as it's
>nowhere nearly as heavy on the chilis and actually quite different from New
>Mexican country and indian reservation cooking. For example, last night I
>threw together some enchildas - brown up some beef or pork and onion, add
>some basic red chili sauce and let it simmer. Melted a bit of lard in a
>cast iron skillet and when hot enough took corn tortillas and cooked about
>30 seconds on a side. Onto a plate, layer on some chili meat, add another
>tortilla, more meat, etc stacking them like pancakes on each person's
>serving plates. Once layered about 3 tortillas high, add some meat on top
>and a runny sunny-side up fried egg, ladle over some red sauce, sprinkle
>with grated cheese, and pop under the broiler for a minute or so to melt the
>cheese. Serve with pinto beans on the side. Quite different from what you
>usually get when you order "enchiladas" in most places either in the States
>or Mexico.
>
>Here's a great online cookbook reference from the Public Service Company of
>New Mexico
>http://www.vivanewmexico.com/nm/food...s.cocinas.html
>
>Steve

Are you old enough to remember La Hacienda in Old Town?
I use to cook there in the 70's I worked the line and was the
Sopapilla Maker in this booth they had right next to the kitchen.
Burned my hands alot in that smoking little room. Enchiladas were
rolled or flat. 1 flat 2 flat 3flat with a little cheese and or meat
or both, stacked, Whith red or green chilli.
I still keep red and green chilli in the fridge ALL the time. I put it
on everything. Never going to give up my chilli. Never.
David