jw

"Tuffchett" > wrote in message
> Are you old enough to remember La Hacienda in Old Town?
> I use to cook there in the 70's I worked the line and was the
> Sopapilla Maker in this booth they had right next to the kitchen.
> Burned my hands alot in that smoking little room. Enchiladas were
> rolled or flat. 1 flat 2 flat 3flat with a little cheese and or meat
> or both, stacked, Whith red or green chilli.
> I still keep red and green chilli in the fridge ALL the time. I put

it
> on everything. Never going to give up my chilli. Never.
> David

David,
Two of the best "eating" years of my life were spent in the service at
Sandia Base in the mid-60's. I had never eaten any "Mexican" food
before that time. Needless to say I fell in love with New Mexican
style dishes. My fondest memories are the Sopapilla and the Green
Chilli. The oldtimers on the base loved to catch the newbie with "You
better order the green because it's not as hot as the red." We spent
a lot of time in a little place -- and bear in mind my memory is not
what it use to be -- called Jotters. If I recall it was a drive-in on
of the main streets. I have ask on occasion if the place still
existed but noone remembers Jotters. We would stop in after enjoying
the Albuquerque night life -- the Hitching Post and a bar downtown
that was the roughest bar I've ever been in and I grew up in the PA
coal mining area -- and have a bowl of Green Chilli stew.
My question is -- was the name Jotters? If not what was the name of
the drive-in eating places in the downtown area in the 60's. If I
thought that Jotters still existed I would change my travel plans this
fall.

JW